Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2010, 08:19 PM

6 posts, read 13,562 times

Advertisements

Hey there,

I'm just looking for any advice you may have. I'm a 26yo single guy possibly moving to San Jose. I'll be looking to rent with a budget of $1400 per month, keeping in mind I'll be working in Campbell. Is it possible to get a nice place for that amount or should I increase my budget?

What areas do you think I should look into? I'd like somewhere near decent social scene.

Also, are there any places with good live music?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 11:22 AM

197 posts, read 977,222 times
you working at eBay or what?

Old 04-04-2010, 05:56 PM

Possibly mrzod.
Any advice folks?

Old 04-04-2010, 06:11 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy09 View Post
Hey there,

I'm just looking for any advice you may have. I'm a 26yo single guy possibly moving to San Jose. I'll be looking to rent with a budget of $1400 per month, keeping in mind I'll be working in Campbell. Is it possible to get a nice place for that amount or should I increase my budget?

What areas do you think I should look into? I'd like somewhere near decent social scene.

Also, are there any places with good live music?

Thanks!
You can find apartments for less than $1400. It really depends on how picky you are and if you need a pool, hot tub, and other amenities. I'd say you should be able to find something half decent for that amount. Campbell has a cute downtown and has attracted some media attention for its bars & singles scene. It's not much of a scene by big city standards, but its better than average for a suburban area. If that's where you'll be working, then Campbell would be the first place I'd look as it's a decent, but not wildly overpriced area (at least by SV standards).

Old 04-05-2010, 09:16 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,061,623 times
I'd also recommend Campbell. I have two different friends there and they seem to like it. I don't usually like malls, but the Pruneyard is kind of interesting. Mostly chains but there is also a decent coffee shop.

San Jose is pretty boring IMHO. There are lots of people partying downtown, but a very heavy police presence. The police are just waiting around hoping to give someone a ticket or arrest them. Do a google search and you'll see what owners and patrons of downtown San Jose bars/restaurants have to say about the police there.

Campbell feels more like a small town by comparison, but it's a nice small town. Some of the more interesting attractions of San Jose are nearby, including Santana Row.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:46 PM

if you're working at eBay, PM me. I have some friends who work there who can show you around.

btw welcome to silicon valley

Old 04-06-2010, 04:45 PM

Great guys. Your advice is much appreciated. Campbell definitely sounds like my kinda place.
Paying a visit next week to scope out the areas. Looking forward to it!

In regards to my apartment browsing, I'm finding most places have a "motel" look about them. Is this what I should expect? Or maybe its just me...Im not originally from the States...

Old 04-08-2010, 12:58 AM

umm, sort of. The rentals that are run by complexes are pretty run down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
View detailed profiles of: