Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 08:38 PM

946 posts, read 3,268,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaadub View Post
I would be wanting to purchase at around 300k to 350k. I like the privacy of more rural but also wanting to be close to shopping and such. Not sure how I get the responses after I hit post since this is my first time. Kind of like the bottle with a note in it being washed up to shore lol.
Kaadub,

Talk about reviving an old thread. Most of those people have stopped posting except our leader, but those of us around now don't have much different to say.

But -- to say something different -- if you like rural, you might consider the Pojoaque Valley in the northern county. You could get something in your price range in a more rural setting and still be fairly close to shopping and only about 20 minutes from the SF Plaza. The Pojoaque Plaza has the essentials and most live within five miles of it.

Then for more shopping -- Espanola has three of the big ones - Walmart, Walgreens, and Loews, and it is about 10-15 minutes away to the north. Espanola -- whatever you think about it -- is not a dangerous place to shop or eat out. Then if you want more shopping, you go to Santa Fe.

Pojoaque Valley can be a little confusing for newcomers. It has three Pueblos -- Nambe, Pojoaque, and San Ildefonso. It has five traditionally Hispanic areas -- Nambe, Pojoaque, Jacona, Jaconita, and El Rancho. The overlap in names makes it a little confusing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 09:13 AM

30 posts, read 82,235 times
Thanks Devin for the reply. I remember going through Espanola I think on the way back from Taos. We took a different route on the way up through Madrid and that
was pretty primitive looking.. lol. I have heard some of railroad district and was wondering what the excitement was there or is it just hype. Anyway its fun to dream
and do a little searching each day on craigslist and real estate pages. There seems to be alot of homes on the market in my price range but as always location can rule out alot of them. Anyway thank you again !

Old 09-10-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaadub View Post
Thanks Devin for the reply. I remember going through Espanola I think on the way back from Taos. We took a different route on the way up through Madrid and that
was pretty primitive looking.. lol. I have heard some of railroad district and was wondering what the excitement was there or is it just hype. Anyway its fun to dream
and do a little searching each day on craigslist and real estate pages. There seems to be alot of homes on the market in my price range but as always location can rule out alot of them. Anyway thank you again !
There is some hype of course, but it is not all hype and you'd probably enjoy the railroad district -- it is becoming the place for the locals and the not so fabulously wealthy. If I were young and without children, I'd be looking there. As it becomes the place, it becomes more expensive. But I suspect that you can get pretty close to the railroad district at a reasonable price. The realtors on this board can give you a better idea.

Of course, with the railroad district, or any place close to it, you are giving up on rural.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:33 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,613,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Bent View Post
Kaadub,

Talk about reviving an old thread. Most of those people have stopped posting except our leader, but those of us around now don't have much different to say.

But -- to say something different -- if you like rural, you might consider the Pojoaque Valley in the northern county. You could get something in your price range in a more rural setting and still be fairly close to shopping and only about 20 minutes from the SF Plaza. The Pojoaque Plaza has the essentials and most live within five miles of it.

Then for more shopping -- Espanola has three of the big ones - Walmart, Walgreens, and Loews, and it is about 10-15 minutes away to the north. Espanola -- whatever you think about it -- is not a dangerous place to shop or eat out. Then if you want more shopping, you go to Santa Fe.

Pojoaque Valley can be a little confusing for newcomers. It has three Pueblos -- Nambe, Pojoaque, and San Ildefonso. It has five traditionally Hispanic areas -- Nambe, Pojoaque, Jacona, Jaconita, and El Rancho. The overlap in names makes it a little confusing.
If you go to buy property in Pojoaque, make sure you have an attorney check out any water rights you are potentially purchasing with the property. Do not trust your realtor, the seller, or anyone else concerning this issue. The Nambe-Pojoaque-Tesuque Basin is particularly tricky concerning water rights.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:55 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,033,812 times
We were in the Railroad District yesterday, went to the new Farmer's Market for the first time. WOW! Quite a place! The market is very large, room for many vendors, and quite a variety of produce and crafts. There is a very large new parking facility close by - cost $1.00 to park.

There is an enormous amount of hustle and bustle and preparation going on in the Railroad District - restaurants, stores, landscaping, etc. I think it will be a great place when it is completed. Yes - touristy - but an alternative to the Plaza area .. and I am looking forward to going there in the years to come..and taking visitors there to enjoy a cool new area of the city.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:23 PM

Thank you all for the info. This is quiet fun.... like having a friend tell you about the more important facts for a new area. I have read Towanda that you live south of town toward ABQ. and seem to like that area. How many miles is it from Santa Fe ?
I live 11 miles out of Grants Pass here and it takes about 20 minutes to get to town.
I find that I only go in once or twice a week because of the time involved in travel.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:48 PM

I live in Eldorado, which is southeast of town on Highway 285, near Interstate 25. Not on the side of the city which heads to ABQ.

We are about 12 miles from the city limits of Santa Fe; it takes us 20 minutes to drive into town. (Part of the drive is about 5 minutes just getting from our house out of the subdivision to the highway.) We try to limit our trips into town and lump all of our errands into one trip; we still end up going into the city several times a week.

We do have some stores out here (grocery, pharmacy, bank, coffee shop, mailing center, a doctor and a dentist, a vet clinic, a gas station, a video store, a fitness center, and several restaurants, etc.) so we can use these services if need be. We also have a great library, so we can frequent it regularly instead of driving into town. We even have a little farmer's market one day a week!

Old 09-10-2008, 03:49 PM

Welcome to the Forum, by the way, kaadub! This is the place for you to get lots of good information and your questions answered.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
If you go to buy property in Pojoaque, make sure you have an attorney check out any water rights you are potentially purchasing with the property. Do not trust your realtor, the seller, or anyone else concerning this issue. The Nambe-Pojoaque-Tesuque Basin is particularly tricky concerning water rights.
This was true, but frankly the worst is behind us in this and applies only to people with wells for household use -- i.e., people who are not on communal water systems. Today most property owners with wells will have a title registered with the county clerk and the state engineer. Ask for a copy of this. Unless the seller and agent and everyone else are into forging documents, then you can trust this. If you are really suspicious, then go to the county clerk and check on it -- they will have it. Don't waste your money on an attorney.

This is one more piece of paperwork you have to go through, but everybody in the state with a well will be going through this eventually.

You should also be concerned with how many gallons per minute you get and the water quality. But again that is true of anybody with a well.

I don't want to go into all the wrinkles, because I don't think you are interested in the Pojoaque Valley. But IMO I'm better off than 95% of the people in Santa Fe County and City because I do have my own well. Others can disagree.

Oh, you can ask people about the difference between pre-moratorium wells and post-moratorium wells, and I'm sure you'll get an honest answer. But even with a post-moratorium well you'll get much much more water than a family could reasonably use.

There is some thought that households in more crowded areas (small lots) will be forced onto a communal system, and then you'll be just like everyone else in this county and city.

I suppose if you thought you could buy five acres and then farm those acres using your household well -- then you would be disappointed. Then you would need rights to irrigation water -- a different type of rights to water that typically comes from an acequia (ditch) -- but again, you would be no different from anybody else in the state.

Last edited by Devin Bent; 09-10-2008 at 05:09 PM..

Old 09-10-2008, 07:07 PM

Interesting problems that are unique to areas. I do not think water will be an issue for me and my yellow lab Amber. I currently live a half mile off the Rogue River which
I walk to daily with Amber. Even being so close to the river I am in a water poor area and have two dry wells on my propery. I am hooked into a spring which for the first time in three years is not keeping up with demand so I have to get water deliveries for the last three months. This is like a new adventure learning of the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe