Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 01:08 PM

974 posts, read 2,342,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
How do you handle the cold weather tho? brrr..lol. Thats the only drawback!
Yep, there a couple of months when it can get pretty cold; I find a coat helps - as does a nice single malt!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 08:35 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,475,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSantaFe View Post
Spent last evening at the Winter Brew Fest at the Railyard. Tickets were limited to 650. It was sold out since about a week before. I'd say about 75% of the attendees were under 40. What a fun event! I was introduced to several microbreweries I had not known about - it's a growing industry here.
I organized a group from our active adult community in Bernalillo to come up on the Rail Runner and attend. I agree, it was a great event. It was crowded and we definitely felt like we were on the upper end of the age curve, but everyone was very friendly and we had a fun time. Being able to get to and from the event by train meant we didn't have to worry at all about driving and parking.

The number of microbreweries in NM is exploding, aided partly by a change in state law this year. We love visiting new ones as they open and returning to old favorites as they release new brews. Our brew tours are a nice low-key social activity and folks we have met in the places we have visited, both behind and in front of the counter, have been extremely sociable. I really think this facet of the alcohol service industry really attracts friendly people.

Rich

Old 01-26-2015, 11:00 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,270,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSantaFe View Post
Yep, there a couple of months when it can get pretty cold; I find a coat helps - as does a nice single malt!
What is this coat you speak of?

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-26-2015 at 11:09 AM..

Old 01-28-2015, 01:34 PM

22 posts, read 51,175 times
How is living in Santa Fe? I can sum it up in one word: expensive!

Old 01-29-2015, 09:32 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,883,538 times
I don't recall if this has been covered, but how is property crime in Santa Fe? Another reason I'm leaving Austin is the property crime rate, which is about twice the national average. Thefts, burglaries, vandalism are all rampant. We've also been having some disturbing home invasions, with residents murdered. And these days there are transient camps alongside neighborhoods, with all the associated garbage and human waste. Another thing that happens all too often is dogs being killed by the police (another one today). I'd like to know if Santa Fe has the above problems. I want to find a city that is clean and safe.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theylphonida View Post
How is living in Santa Fe? I can sum it up in one word: expensive!
Based on what I see on real estate sites, at least that aspect doesn't seem particularly expensive, at least relative to Austin. But are there other things that make the cost of living high?

One thing I was wondering about, too, is whether you need to take a driving test when you get a NM license. I worry about that because I'm unable to parallel park due to a neck problem.

Edit: I checked out the NM DMV site, which said that a test is not required if you have a valid license from another state.

Last edited by Weatherguy; 01-29-2015 at 10:08 PM..

Old 01-29-2015, 10:05 PM

45 posts, read 105,814 times
Based on what I see on real estate sites, at least that aspect doesn't seem particularly expensive, at least relative to Austin. But are there other things that make the cost of living high?

Before I moved to Santa Fe two years ago everyone told me, "but... it's so expensive to live in Santa Fe!".
I still see that on this forum all the time. My husband and I moved from a rural, impoverished area of the southwest and virtually EVERYTHING is less expensive here than it was where we came from. The only exception is housing, and even that is not much more expensive. With the lower interest these days we're now paying maybe $300.00 a month more for our mortgage, and have twice the house in terms of size, quality of construction and quality of life. I honestly don't understand the "Santa Fe is so expensive" gripe. I guess if you're hanging out on the Plaza buying spanish made cowboy boots, squash blossom necklaces and eating out at Pasqual's every night it's expensive, but your everyday expenses are equivalent to or less than most places in the country. Property taxes?.... very low. Food?.... much cheaper than where we lived before. Gas?.... cheaper than where we lived before. Utilities?... much cheaper. Come out and see. The "so expensive" thing is a myth.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsoso View Post

Before I moved to Santa Fe two years ago everyone told me, "but... it's so expensive to live in Santa Fe!".
I still see that on this forum all the time. My husband and I moved from a rural, impoverished area of the southwest and virtually EVERYTHING is less expensive here than it was where we came from. The only exception is housing, and even that is not much more expensive. With the lower interest these days we're now paying maybe $300.00 a month more for our mortgage, and have twice the house in terms of size, quality of construction and quality of life. I honestly don't understand the "Santa Fe is so expensive" gripe. I guess if you're hanging out on the Plaza buying spanish made cowboy boots, squash blossom necklaces and eating out at Pasqual's every night it's expensive, but your everyday expenses are equivalent to or less than most places in the country. Property taxes?.... very low. Food?.... much cheaper than where we lived before. Gas?.... cheaper than where we lived before. Utilities?... much cheaper. Come out and see. The "so expensive" thing is a myth.
Sounds encouraging. What area of the city or metro do you live in? In general, what are the housing prices in your area?

Old 01-30-2015, 08:48 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,341,033 times
actually hanging out at the plaza can save you money if your not buying art work! We just love hanging out and going to museums which are free on Fridays. If we moved there we'd get passes and just enjoy the entertainment. Working as hard as we do on a cattle ranch that sounds like heaven. Hiking, fishing and other outdoor activities are so close too.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:24 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
I don't recall if this has been covered, but how is property crime in Santa Fe?
Yes, it has been covered, but not to a lot of peoples satisfaction. Everyone has different experiences.

CrimeMapping.com - Santa Fe

The Santa Fe New Mexican: Police Notes

City-Data Thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/santa...-santa-fe.html

Crime info from City-Data for Santa Fe, NM

Crime info from City-Data for Austin, TX

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-30-2015 at 09:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe