Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 10:20 PM

28 posts, read 39,364 times

Advertisements

My partner and I will be visiting Santa Fe next week for vacation and to hopefully purchase some property to build a home.

In the meantime, where is the best place to buy native, pueblo pottery and not spend hundreds to thousands of dollars? Alas, we didn't win the powerball Saturday night....

Thanks.
J & K
Dallas, TX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 08:08 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,179,820 times
I would like to know too! I have been in the Andrea Fisher gallery in the plaza and they have beautiful things, but WAY over my budget. I think I bought one or two TINY items there a long time ago. Andrea Fisher Fine Pottery

I had also heard that you can go to some of the pueblos themselves and buy directly from the potters. I tried going to one once, saw a sign for 'pottery' and 'open' in the window of a home once, knocked on the door, was invited inside. The lady had 4 pots for sale, none of which I thought were very nice and they were also very expensive. It was kind of awkward at that point, so I said 'thank you' and left. It was just too awkward for me. I presume if you know exactly where to go and what to look for, this may work for you.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:55 AM

Good AM beezle1

Ran across the Andrea Fisher Gallery for best places to shop in SF, but the only shopping we'll be doing there is window shopping, DUH!
Also came across the tip re: going directly to the Native Indians in the area. But, I can see how that could be awkward based on your experience.
We're not looking for priceless, one of a kind items, just something not made in China.
In my next life I'm going to have Tina Turner's hair and lots of money, : )

Old 03-26-2013, 10:48 AM

1,993 posts, read 4,072,824 times
Pueblo of Tesuque Flea Market - Tesuque, NM

Old 03-26-2013, 12:41 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,315,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyddltx1964 View Post
My partner and I will be visiting Santa Fe next week for vacation and to hopefully purchase some property to build a home.

In the meantime, where is the best place to buy native, pueblo pottery and not spend hundreds to thousands of dollars? Alas, we didn't win the powerball Saturday night....

Thanks.
J & K
Dallas, TX
To avoid paying silly 'tourist' prices, don't shop in Santa Fe for those items.

It will take time and research to find the right places for what you seek, unfortunately.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:10 PM

Thanx for the link to the Tesuque Flea Market NMHacker.
That looks like a great place to visit/shop one morning or afternoon as a side trip outside SF proper.

The other place wish sounds promising is the portals at The Palace of the Governors at the plaza.

Anyone else with some good recommendations??

Old 03-26-2013, 07:29 PM

974 posts, read 2,349,309 times
Be careful at the Tesuque Flea Market - much stuff may be called Indian-made, but what on continent or what part of the Americas they were made is up for grabs.
Go into shops in Santa Fe - not necessarily to buy (though you might be tempted) to at least to get an education so you know what kinds of pottery are made by the various pueblos and artists, and know what to look for when you go further afield.
I love going to the pueblos themselves. Many are a short drive and it's great meeting the artists and you can negotiate a fair price. At the Palace of the Governors portal you can also meet the artists and be assured of buying authentic Indian-made items - primarily jewelry; I don't remember pots being sold there.
If you have time, take a drive to Gallup. I've also found good deals in the pawn sections of shops even in Santa Fe. Gertrude Zachary has a few locations in Albuquerque and very fair prices - mostly jewelry, but other goods too. The Old Town plaza area in Albuquerque might also be a good place to visit. Lots of shops and decent prices. The Indian Pueblo Cultural Center in Albuquerque is good. You can also check out the Case Trading Post at the Wheelwright Museum in Santa Fe. In fact, if you can get out to some of the trading posts that are still in existence, that would be great. I also love the Acoma Pueblo and the Hopi reservation.
Oh my, I'd better stop now….

Old 03-26-2013, 07:33 PM

P.S. For those who don't know, and unless things have changed, the only thing Indian about the Tesuque Flea Market is that it is located on Tesuque Pueblo land. Last I heard they just lease out the space and the folks running it are definitely not Native American. I'll be glad to be corrected if someone has different information.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:42 PM

Hello GSF,
Who would have ever thought buying an Indian pot(s) for home décor/souvenir would be such an ordeal.
Nearly everything is made in China and/or outsourced these days.
Flying into Albuquerque for this trip, but spending all our time up in SF.

Well....thanks for the info.

J.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyddltx1964 View Post
Hello GSF,
Who would have ever thought buying an Indian pot(s) for home décor/souvenir would be such an ordeal.
Nearly everything is made in China and/or outsourced these days.
Flying into Albuquerque for this trip, but spending all our time up in SF.

Well....thanks for the info.

J.
Don't get the idea that it's an ordeal. It's not. There are plenty of shops in Santa Fe and I'll bet you find a terrific locally made Indian pot to take home with you. You certainly don't have to spend a lot of money. As long as you buy from a reputable dealer (like the Case Trading Post or any number of shops/galleries) or the artists themselves, you can be assured of getting the genuine article. Most of the galleries know the artists they represent personally. And no legitimate dealer wants to get charged with a felony for misrepresenting Indian-made art; it's bad for business! Just ask the dealer and, if you want, ask them to certify its authenticity on your receipt or give you a letter of authenticity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe