Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 08:26 AM

6 posts, read 12,210 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving, (with our just graduated college daughter) in October. We are interested in finding regarding what types of jobs are available in the Santa Fe/Albuquerque area. Are opportunities in civil service, warehousing and distribution, and security/law enforcement available? What else is available?

We are both retired and have enough guaranteed income to buy a home up to the $200,000 range. Does that sound reasonable for the Santa Fe area?

Is crime less of a problem in Santa Fe than it is in Albuquerque. How is the water and air quality in the area?

Thank You.

De
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 02:52 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Due to the SF real estate bubble bursting the last few years, you may have a hope for buying a place in town for $200,000, if you don't require much square footage. But the market is beginning to climb, so move quickly. You can get more square footage for your money in the south end of town, and across the county line. Santa Fe is known for high real estate prices compared to low wages; a resort town economy in that sense.

Water and air quality are fine. Crime is a problem, but you wouldn't notice, necessarily. Keep your windows closed (this means: install central air if the house you buy doesn't have it), and you shouldn't experience a problem.

Law enforcement is popular in northern NM. There may be jobs. No warehousing and distribution. Civil service? The city has been furloughing workers due to the economic turndown. If you're retired, are you inquiring about jobs for your daughter? There are plenty of jobs cashiering, that can allow for working up to supervisory and management. Whole Foods hires new people every month, and they're planning to expand. All the grocery stores hire new people regularly. It's hard to find reliable, educated workers here.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:42 PM

974 posts, read 2,343,683 times
There will be more job opportunities in Albuquerque - after all, it's ten times the population. Check out the Sunday Classifieds for both cities - perhaps your local library gets hard copies or online editions.
Yes, you can buy a home for under $200,000 in SF - primarily in the southwest quadrant of town. Again, there will be more homes in that price range in the Abq area. Crime stats for various parts of both cities can be obtained from the local police departments. The water in the city and county has high mineral content so many people have water softeners, but it sure tastes good. The air quality is excellent.
Good luck!

Old 04-28-2013, 04:05 AM

560 posts, read 1,715,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Due to the SF real estate bubble bursting the last few years, you may have a hope for buying a place in town for $200,000, if you don't require much square footage. But the market is beginning to climb, so move quickly.
Do you have any idea what your talking about? What "Santa Fe real estate" bubble? There was no bursting bubble here.

Quote:
Santa Fe is known for high real estate prices compared to low wages; a resort town economy in that sense.
Again, do you have any idea what you're talking about?

dwportland75 - Some people like to use buzz words like " real estate bubble" but have no clue what they are talking about. 200k will get you something on the south side of town. but those areas are generally considered less desirable. Santa Fe real estate is slowly appreciating, but you don't need to "move quickly" something that is 200k today might be 205k next year... there's no need to rush. What you do need to to talk to a good real estate broker. PM me and I can give you a couple of names.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmagana View Post
Do you have any idea what your talking about? What "Santa Fe real estate" bubble? There was no bursting bubble here.

dwportland75 - Some people like to use buzz words like " real estate bubble" but have no clue what they are talking about. 200k will get you something on the south side of town. but those areas are generally considered less desirable. Santa Fe real estate is slowly appreciating, but you don't need to "move quickly" something that is 200k today might be 205k next year... there's no need to rush. What you do need to to talk to a good real estate broker. PM me and I can give you a couple of names.
Owned and sold a couple of homes over the years, yes, I know what I'm talking about. My real estate agent friends agree btw. Right now is a good time to snap up homes that were overvalued for years.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:48 AM

560 posts, read 1,715,244 times
Quote:
Owned and sold a couple of homes over the years, yes, I know what I'm talking about. My real estate agent friends agree btw. Right now is a good time to snap up homes that were overvalued for years.
Where are these homes? I'd love to know! My house has been steadily and slowly appreciating for 8 years. There was a slow down in the market, but prices never got pushed down like some parts of the country. I hate to burst your bubble, but there was no real estate bubble in Santa Fe.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:15 AM

6 posts, read 12,210 times
Thank you for input!

Old 05-01-2013, 10:25 AM

974 posts, read 2,343,683 times
Just checked, and there are 31 homes in Santa Fe on the market for under $200K, (and 2 between $200 - 210K that can be purchased for $200K or less) -primarily in the southwest part of town, but there's a few in other areas and even one in Eldorado. Size and condition, as well as location, will help determine which are the ones that will appeal to you. In addition, there are 66 condos in that price range to choose from.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Where are these homes? I'd love to know! My house has been steadily and slowly appreciating for 8 years. There was a slow down in the market, but prices never got pushed down like some parts of the country. I hate to burst your bubble, but there was no real estate bubble in Santa Fe.
idk, people, it's been discussed in the New Mexican for years... Lots of people have sold for less than what they paid, or have had to revise their selling price down, down, down. But now it's coming back up.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:53 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:

"Santa Fe real estate is slowly appreciating"

City home prices down 17%; sales up
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 7:36 pm | Updated: 11:24 am, Thu Apr 11, 2013.

The median sales price of homes sold in the city of Santa Fe during the first quarter of 2013 fell nearly 17 percent from the same period last year. That's a big drop.... The median price of single-family homes sold in the city during the first three months of the year was $245,000, compared to $295,000 in 2012. That's a lot of money to lose... That's $50,000

REFERENCE: City home prices down 17%; sales up - The Santa Fe New Mexican: Home/Real Estate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe