Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2007, 12:48 AM

8 posts, read 104,136 times

Advertisements

Can anyone out there tell me how the drive is from Phoenix, AZ to Santa Fe, NM. Are there steep winding mountains? Is it a tough drive for someone afraid of heights (b/c of the mountains)?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 02:17 AM

17 posts, read 92,770 times
If you go up the 17 (Black Canyon Fwy) to Flagstaff, then East on the 40 to Albuquerque, then North on the 25 to Santa Fe it is a very easy drive, with the most 'curves' being just North of Phoenix into the mountains. This is a longer route than going up the 87 (Beeline Hwy) through Payson, up to the 40 then East (etc.); but this shorter route has more curves until you get to the high plains beyond Strawberry/Pine.

Old 05-26-2007, 02:44 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,483 times
I've done it a few times - 17 to 40 most likely is your best bet.
The I40 stretch of it is pretty plain and you can do a pretty good speed there (and still feel like you are going nowhere). But nothing that is going to make you queasy as far as cliffs. I-25 is a pretty good road and a short trip to Santa Fe.
Make sure you pack a basic emergency kit - first aid kit, cellphone, snacks that won't melt in the heat, water - we used to pack 5 gallons per person or 1 flat bottled water each- and a blanket or 2. And have your tires checked before you go. We used to carry a small thing of gas too - there are not many gas stations along they way.

Old 05-26-2007, 11:46 PM

8 posts, read 104,136 times
Thank you. I'll try it. How long does it take toget to Albuquerque and New Mexico?

Old 05-29-2007, 02:31 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,714,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiara_dc View Post
Thank you. I'll try it. How long does it take toget to Albuquerque and New Mexico?
Assuming you drive I-17 from Phoenix to Flagstaff, and then I-40 from Flagstaff to Albuquerque, and assuming you don't stop (except a quickie for gas and the bathroom), you're probably looking at 6 hours. I have made this drive several times (Albuquerque-to-Phoenix and vice/versa) and have clocked in at anywhere between 5 hours (yes, my foot was made of lead...not condoning this for the kids out there) and 7 hours (a few more liesurely stops / construction, etc.). It is about 450 miles roughly between ABQ and PHX.

Once you hit ABQ, it is about 50 minutes on I-25 to Santa Fe.

So with two 5-minute stops, I would roughly estimate PHX to Santa Fe via the freeways to be approximately 7 hours. If you are making more stops, taking more scenic routes (eg: not the freeways), etc., it could take more like 8 or 9 hours.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:25 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,184,329 times
My vote, for the most hair-raising, direct, and scenic route, is US 60 from Mesa to Socorro (Salt River Canyon in E Arizona rivals the Grand Canyon in beauty, and you get to drive down one side and up the other) and north from there. Figure on adding 1-2h vs going through Flagstaff or Las Cruces, but it's certainly not interstate and you get a lot more culture.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:01 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,289,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
My vote, for the most hair-raising, direct, and scenic route, is US 60 from Mesa to Socorro (Salt River Canyon in E Arizona rivals the Grand Canyon in beauty, and you get to drive down one side and up the other) and north from there. Figure on adding 1-2h vs going through Flagstaff or Las Cruces, but it's certainly not interstate and you get a lot more culture.

That is my favorite route.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:47 PM

214 posts, read 1,310,337 times
Making this trip many times a year I'd opt for the Payson on through to Holbrook route any day of the week.

I've done the Flag route as well (both with and w/o a trailer) and can honestly say that Flag will add a solid hour to your travel time. And that's doing the speed limit or better either way. The Flag way clocks in at +50mi on Google.

For the "faint of heart" one might say the Payson route is more intersting. But in reality it's a very safe road (often 4 lanes now) and the far more scenic of the two.

I'd have to say PHX to ABX in six via Flag is rather optimistic too. Payson-Holbrook I'd say yes. In part it depends on where in PHX you begin. Being in Chandler it's closer for me up 87.

The eastern swing is nice as well but much slower going. The Salt River canyon is worth the drive. But maybe too much for those who don't like to drive as part of the trip.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:12 AM

336 posts, read 578,483 times
What's the best way to drive from Phoenix to Santa Fe at the beginning of December? I don't have AWD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe