Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 04:42 PM

477 posts, read 987,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
Agreed. We have had several awesome meals in there, and it is just plain old solid Mexican food, nothing fancy.

I saw that one of my neighbors was very unhappy with her experience there, but I think it just wasn't their cup of tea, not "bad," per se.

Salsa, for instance, is totally subjective. There is no "right" salsa. The poster described it as like soup from a can, but I have had it, and while it is definitely not a chunky salsa, it is very flavorful and very similar to salsa I have had at other top-notch places.

As for the vegetarian burrito, I wouldn't know.

But everything else we have had from there, from the "wet burritos" to the tacos to the nachos (which were especially good, for reasons I could not really define), was very good. No misses at all.

I am sure I would have no interest in a cheeseless cauliflower burrito, so i might have hated the place too, had I ordered that.

Anyway, El Toro Bravo is right next door, and we definitely intend to go there soon, as well.

By the way, both of these restaurants are participants with the free coupon service Sarasota Sally, which we have been WEARING OUT since we got here. You'll find tons of great deals there.

For example, August is my birthday month, so I got to have a 100% free breakfast at Dutch Valley yesterday, which was REALLY good.

Of course, being the great guy I am, I tipped the waitress the entire amount my breakfast would have cost me.

Anyway, check it out. It is very simple. When you do, hopefully you'll check out Paris to Budapest and A French Affair, each of which have become weekly visits for us.

P.S. Site malfunctioning on posting links for some reason, so look up Sarasota Sally. When you get to www. sarasotasally.com, click on the video "How to join Sarasota Sally." It is definitely worth doing.
For the record, we did get take-out there. We were certain there was a mistake with the salsa since there was no flavor there whatsoever. We love every type of salsa from pico de gallo to chunky salsa to no chunks at all...We'll have to give it another try on your recommendation. One of my best friends is from Mexico, so we knew exactly where to go to get the real deal in Columbus. But she did say my guacamole was the best she has ever had...

Thanks for the Sarasota Sally website. I will check that out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 04:51 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
I have had a lot of bad luck with Mexican food - either I find it completely bland and tasteless, or I get sick on it. I have eaten at tons of places in several cities, the only place I have EVER consistently loved was Pancho's Villa in Dade City, run by two Mexican brothers. Love, love, love that place. Here in Sarasota I have eaten at the University location of Mi Pueblo and Cinco de Mayo downtown - both OK, but nothing to rave about.

Quite frankly, these days, I like the food I cook at home more than any of these places we eat out. It is easy to fix Mexican or Italian food, for much cheaper and much better than you can get out - plus you know what's in it!

Old 08-17-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I have had a lot of bad luck with Mexican food - either I find it completely bland and tasteless, or I get sick on it. I have eaten at tons of places in several cities, the only place I have EVER consistently loved was Pancho's Villa in Dade City, run by two Mexican brothers. Love, love, love that place. Here in Sarasota I have eaten at the University location of Mi Pueblo and Cinco de Mayo downtown - both OK, but nothing to rave about.

Quite frankly, these days, I like the food I cook at home more than any of these places we eat out. It is easy to fix Mexican or Italian food, for much cheaper and much better than you can get out - plus you know what's in it!
I agree! I love to cook at home and now that we are settling in and have no houseguests, I'm getting requests for many things to make at home that I haven't made in awhile. That's a good thing.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:54 PM

209 posts, read 452,717 times
Oh MY! coming from San Antonio where a pretty decent taco place was on every corner, i do TRULY miss my tex-mex... so i will be reading more on this... i haven't braved a single mex food place yet... yes, i tend to believe in the hole-in-the wall places are generally best... i will brave any back alley as long as i can bring a pistola !...i am kind of lazy about reading the whole 9 yards of posts ...if you have a certified/bonified hole in the wall in Sarasota or Bradenton, shoot me a DM --PLEASE!!!!

Old 08-18-2010, 07:52 AM

El Paso Mexican Grill just opened on Clark next to Millie's.

I think we will give it a try next.. El PASO Mexican Grill Restaurant

Old 08-18-2010, 08:11 AM

46 posts, read 91,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachymom View Post
I agree! I love to cook at home and now that we are settling in and have no houseguests, I'm getting requests for many things to make at home that I haven't made in awhile. That's a good thing.
We've been doing that lately too. Sometimes, it's more fun that way.

If you need any recipes for mex food, one of my absolute favorite sites is simplyrecipes.com . She has a wonderful blog, and shares all kinds of family recipes with darn nice pictures too. http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/mexican_and_tex_mex/

My little sister has been joining us for dinner lately, and I credit that site with the fact that she thinks I am this genius chef now! She tells everyone in the family. But I'm not telling my secret, lol!

Jason

Last edited by SRQ123; 08-18-2010 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 08-18-2010, 08:12 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,345,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachymom View Post
El Paso Mexican Grill just opened on Clark next to Millie's.

I think we will give it a try next.. El PASO Mexican Grill Restaurant
Just noticed that last night. I might run over there for lunch and see what's what. The web site doesn't look "authentic," but I am willing to take one for the team to find out.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:24 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,091,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
Just noticed that last night. I might run over there for lunch and see what's what. The web site doesn't look "authentic," but I am willing to take one for the team to find out.
Rushmore!! Do you have a hole in your leg? You seem to be pretty trim for being as big a foodie as you seem, and eating as much as you do!!

Old 08-18-2010, 11:40 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,345,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Rushmore!! Do you have a hole in your leg? You seem to be pretty trim for being as big a foodie as you seem, and eating as much as you do!!
Yeah, it's my last remaining vice.

I sure have to spend a fair amount of time in the pool and walking the dog and swinging golf clubs to avoid, well...largeness. At one point, I blew up pretty big, but I fixed that, and know the formula to keep from doing so again. You just gotta get some exercise and choose chicken or fish sometimes. Only very rare fast food, and almost nothing deep fried.

It's a good trade-off.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRQ123 View Post
We've been doing that lately too. Sometimes, it's more fun that way.

If you need any recipes for mex food, one of my absolute favorite sites is simplyrecipes.com . She has a wonderful blog, and shares all kinds of family recipes with darn nice pictures too. Simply Recipes: Mexican and Tex Mex Recipes

My little sister has been joining us for dinner lately, and I credit that site with the fact that she thinks I am this genius chef now! She tells everyone in the family. But I'm not telling my secret, lol!

Jason
Thanks, Jason! I used to have quite an elaborate cookbook collection but I soon found out that going online is the way to go. Getting reviews before trying a recipe always helps! I will look into your website for sure! I love Food.com - Thousands Of Free Recipes From Home Chefs With Recipe Ratings, Reviews And Tips and AllRecipes.com - the top web site for recipes, food and cooking tips. I just found The Pioneer Woman | Ree Drummond. Beautiful pictures and blog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area