Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 02:51 PM

5 posts, read 25,799 times

Advertisements

I want to find out about what living in North Port is like as I am currently exploring the possibility of buying what will be my retirement home there? What are the people like? Are they welcoming to people from different ethnic groups?

Will appreciate comments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 04:49 PM

774 posts, read 2,382,633 times
I really like living North Port a lot, and find it to be a friendly middle class type of community.

There are people of various ethnicity's where I live and also where I play tennis and I've never seen any problems or heard any complaints from others.

You might want to spend some time in the area and see what you think.

Mikey

Old 06-20-2010, 05:42 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameosis View Post
I want to find out about what living in North Port is like as I am currently exploring the possibility of buying what will be my retirement home there? What are the people like? Are they welcoming to people from different ethnic groups?

Will appreciate comments

Hi, and welcome to the board!

North Port is a pretty large area. Lots to do, and it is convienient to beaches and a ton of other outdoor activities. SWFL in general is made up of people that have moved here from all areas of the country and the world. There is something for everyone - I think. It is not like a huge city like NYC or Chicago that has huge ethnic areas, but I think there is a wide spectrum of people here from every walk of life, and financial position.

I think as far as areas around SWFL you picked a great county to be in. Sarasota has good schools, a better than average economy ((compared to other areas in Florida)). All areas in Florida, and SWFL are hurting, if you are looking for employment - that won't be easy.

From what I've seen it doesnt matter what ethnicity or race you are, if you are out-going, friendly, like people, and like to do things outside, you will get along well. And, if you like to drink beer and fish a lot, you might have just found a new friend, and if you like to drink a lot of beer and fish a whole lot, you might have found a very good friend. And, if you like to buy beer, and fishing gear - I think you'll fit right in!

Old 06-20-2010, 11:58 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times
from what i have seen North port is a growing thriving community. if we handt bought a home in Rotonda then NP would have been next on the list. it has great access to may things and is still only 25 mins from the beaches.

having travelled the US as a Brit I find that Florida appears to be one of the most racially tolerant states. Its not the deep south for sure and the people in general appear to be very integrated and non-discriminatory. Sure you will find idiots/bigots everywhere but in general I would have to say that you probably couldnt move to a much better place.

i would think that a lot of the relaxed attititude comes from the fact Florida has some many 'import' from all over the world that its kinda 'live and let live '.

plus you will get a real bargain in NP

Old 06-21-2010, 03:40 AM

425 posts, read 1,105,048 times
Default North Port

we bought in North Port 3 years ago, we have family in north fort myers, about 8 years ago, we bought a lot in North Port thinking we would build when we retire. We bought in an undeveloped area andthere the lot sits, we bought it when prices were high, and so we pay taxes on it every year and hope the prices go back up.
We wanted to buy in a 55 park, but wanted to own our own land, so we looke around SWFL and found North Port,there are 5 parks all in a row on 41, we found that La Casa offered what we were looking for, and it is a beautiful park.We bought a place in the back of the park so we can take our dogs down with us.
My husband has more time to spend down there than I since he has more vacation time, I get down there once or twice a year. We love it
it is about 25 minute drive to the beach, lowes,home depot,walmart, and any other store is within 2-3 miles, you could walk to the library.
I hope you find what your looking for but for us we DID find it in North Port.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:09 PM

5 posts, read 25,799 times
How are you getting on. Hope you are okay. Lets keep in touch and please keep me updated about your move to florida.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:16 PM

7 posts, read 11,603 times
NP is nice. There has been an influx of Latinos over the past few years. It has a huge Eastern European community with a variety of places of worship on Pan American drive. They also have the Warm Mineral Springs which still may be closed. You will find some real Floridians living there too.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:34 AM

150 posts, read 427,289 times
eastern europeans from where?

Old 07-14-2010, 12:40 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyranger View Post
the East part of Europe ????

Old 07-14-2010, 07:15 AM

1,439 posts, read 2,920,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyranger View Post
Ukrainian, Polish, Russian, and Slavic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area