Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 02:21 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,920,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
I don't think most people realize how fricking huge the Gulf is, and how small a percentage the slick covers. (It's no where near SW FL, but it sounds like you guys already knew that.) Also, oil is not water soluble - if you look at a live feed of where the slick is right now, you'll see that it tends to clump together as a big blob. It's not spreading evenly throughout the entire Gulf. And the chemicals released quickly dissipate into the air - there aren't any chemicals involved that sink down beneath the surface of the water.
Do you have a link for the chemical dispersants they are using? I'd like to see what is in the stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 02:28 PM

879 posts, read 1,953,828 times
Corexit EC9500A and Corexit EC9527A

Old 06-29-2010, 02:55 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,920,693 times
Quote:
I don't think most people realize how fricking huge the Gulf is, and how small a percentage the slick covers. (It's no where near SW FL, but it sounds like you guys already knew that.) Also, oil is not water soluble - if you look at a live feed of where the slick is right now, you'll see that it tends to clump together as a big blob. It's not spreading evenly throughout the entire Gulf. And the chemicals released quickly dissipate into the air - there aren't any chemicals involved that sink down beneath the surface of the water.
There is methane gas that is creating a huge dead (killing) zone in the Gulf from the oil spill. But, I'd be curious to understand why the NOAA No Fishing Zone is so huge, if the spill is in your words "a small percentage of the gulf, and that there is no chemical impact beneath the surface of the water." Do you think they are being too cautious or do they know something the general public doesn't?

Old 06-29-2010, 04:59 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,665,567 times
Quote:
there aren't any chemicals involved that sink down beneath the surface of the water.
I think that researchers from USF would disagree with you.

http://tampabay.bizjournals.com/tamp...7/daily17.html

That was the first article I could find, but these it's been widely reported here.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:16 AM

32 posts, read 52,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.W.Deering View Post
There is methane gas that is creating a huge dead (killing) zone in the Gulf from the oil spill. But, I'd be curious to understand why the NOAA No Fishing Zone is so huge, if the spill is in your words "a small percentage of the gulf, and that there is no chemical impact beneath the surface of the water." Do you think they are being too cautious or do they know something the general public doesn't?
I've heard about the methane gas as well with potentially more devastating consequences than a huge dead zone. I think they know a lot more than they are disclosing to the public . . . in order to manage fear and chaos. In some regards, I understand that tactic but at what cost? Below (next post) is a piece I posted on another thread about this.

To answer your other question, Col.W.Deering, here's an excerpt from an article I read about the dispersants. It states:

The toxic oil and gas are being added to by the lethal 'dispersant' being used by BP to (theoretically, for public consumption only) 'disperse the oil'. They are using Corexit 9500 which is so toxic it has been banned in Europe . . . Corexit is manufactured by a corporation called Nalco, once part of Exxon Mobil, and the current leadership includes executives from Exxon and BP.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:19 AM

32 posts, read 52,793 times
I want to believe as much as any of you that this oil spill won't have devastating effects in SW FL as I personally intend(ed) to move there and enjoy the blessings it offers. I loved my experiences there on the gorgeous Siesta Key beaches, hanging out at St. Armands Circle, hanging out at Sharky's in Venice.

If I lived there, I'd want to know what the possible effects might be on my livelihood, my property, my enjoyment of the natural beauty. Without trying, I get messages sent my way. This is another that came recently -- not posting this article to upset anyone (though it brings fear up for me), be negative or doom and gloom. I don't sense this is probable but is it possible? Not just one professional is commenting about the potential. Whether you agree or disagree, don't like that I post this, I send blessings for your safety, peace, and well-being.

How the ultimate BP Gulf disaster could kill millions | Republic Broadcasting Network
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area