Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 09:11 AM

477 posts, read 987,253 times

Advertisements

I think I read that once you move to Florida, you have 30 days to get a license?

Also, we will need two forms of residency. We have the lease in both of our names but I put all of the utility bills in mine only. Will dh be able to use that as proof for him since we are married?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 10:53 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,920,068 times
Hi Beachy!

Here's the website for the DMV: Florida Drivers License

Yes, you are correct you have 30 days to get your license after becoming a FL resident: Moving to Florida

Old 07-26-2010, 01:20 PM

385 posts, read 1,159,297 times
There are quite a few new rules that went into effect this year so do yourself a favor and explore soflgals handy link. I just renewed and had to bring original birth certificate, orginal marrige license, original SS card, 2 forms of mail for residency, and of course my old drivers license. The price has also gone up. Early morning is the best time to go and if you will be close to dowtown Sarasota I would go there, the line moves fairly quickly.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:54 PM

3,179 posts, read 6,000,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfish View Post
There are quite a few new rules that went into effect this year so do yourself a favor and explore soflgals handy link. I just renewed and had to bring original birth certificate, orginal marrige license, original SS card, 2 forms of mail for residency, and of course my old drivers license. The price has also gone up. Early morning is the best time to go and if you will be close to dowtown Sarasota I would go there, the line moves fairly quickly.
Agreed. The rules changed drastically this year (and ridiculously). It is not uncommon for people to have to return 3 or 4 times to the DMV with more documentation, so definitely check it all out online before going in. Good thing they're valid for 9 years!!

Old 07-26-2010, 03:22 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,920,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
Agreed. The rules changed drastically this year (and ridiculously). It is not uncommon for people to have to return 3 or 4 times to the DMV with more documentation, so definitely check it all out online before going in. Good thing they're valid for 9 years!!
I have to renew mine this year and I've had it since I was 18-I'm 38 this year. Guess they've probably change the rule of how long you can keep it as well

Old 07-26-2010, 03:23 PM

477 posts, read 987,253 times
Thanks, guys! We are taking EVERYTHING we have with us since we hate this tedious kind of thing. Too bad we just had to renew our Ohio license in May of this year. AARRRGGG! That was very easy since we only had to bring our license...... but you do have to do it every 4 years in Ohio.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:26 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,086,723 times
You need your social security card and two exeptional form of proof of identification (an original birth certificate and a passport will help). They need your old driver's license as well. The website link above is helpful. Be prepared to be a tad bit frustrated. There are new laws governing the issuance, and the people at DMV were very helpful to me. It helps to have everything you need with you at the time. And, if you need to tag your vehicle, you need proof of insurance with you as well. Copies of stuff won't work. They need originals, so make sure you get them before you go, because you will be turned away.

Good Luck!

Old 07-26-2010, 03:27 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,141,907 times
its not that bad. we got ours at the sarasota county office south in venice. its on tamiami just north of jacaranda. compared to the people that work in motor vehicle in nj these workers were a dream. just take what they specify on the web site.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:28 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,086,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
I have to renew mine this year and I've had it since I was 18-I'm 38 this year. Guess they've probably change the rule of how long you can keep it as well
When you come in, they will all run and hide! You have no chance of getting a license.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:35 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,919,835 times
I just renewed mine last month. The license is good for only 8 years now. Also, there is a little star after your driver license number that I was told everyone is going to have eventually (2012?). If you don't have the star on your drivers license then you won't be let into federal buildings, courts, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area