Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 10:51 AM

222 posts, read 855,017 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Looking for some good advice as to where to stay and places to go while we vacation for some days in the area. We have been to Fla many times, however have never been to the Gulf side. What hotels would you recommend to be close to the beaches (siesta key, etc.), How are the rates for places on the beach compared to having to drive and park. I know it will be more expensive to be on the beach just trying to see how much more. Open for suggestions - so fire away!

Also, look to be driving around to some other towns so that we can gain more knowledge of the area and also see other beaches. Also open for suggestions.

Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 11:36 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,345,307 times
Now that I live here, I would say that if I were coming to stay and relax for three or four days, I would try to find some sort of rental on Casey Key. It's private and very relaxing. Looking around online, it appears you can get a cottage for much less than a hotel, and it will be all yours.

You can easily get out to explore from there.

This is what I will be suggesting to friends and family coming in to stay in the area for any extended period.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:27 PM

25 posts, read 81,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
Now that I live here, I would say that if I were coming to stay and relax for three or four days, I would try to find some sort of rental on Casey Key. It's private and very relaxing. Looking around online, it appears you can get a cottage for much less than a hotel, and it will be all yours.

You can easily get out to explore from there.

This is what I will be suggesting to friends and family coming in to stay in the area for any extended period.
Casey Key is great. It is quiet and relaxing. If you are looking to have some fun, I would say to check out Siesta Key Village. They have fun restaurants right by the beach and they offer a fun atmosphere (http://daiquirideck.com/ and http://www.skob.com/ are my favorite). If you are looking to shop (and for more good restaurants) go to St. Armands Circle. It's only about 20 minutes north of SK!

Have fun!

Old 08-02-2010, 01:37 PM

913 posts, read 2,362,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomet View Post
Hi All,

Looking for some good advice as to where to stay and places to go while we vacation for some days in the area. We have been to Fla many times, however have never been to the Gulf side. What hotels would you recommend to be close to the beaches (siesta key, etc.), How are the rates for places on the beach compared to having to drive and park. I know it will be more expensive to be on the beach just trying to see how much more. Open for suggestions - so fire away!

Also, look to be driving around to some other towns so that we can gain more knowledge of the area and also see other beaches. Also open for suggestions.

Thank you for your help.

before we bought a condo here, we used to stay at the Banyon Tree on Siesta Key. It's about a half block east of the village and within walking distance to the beach. We loved it and stayed there several times. I think they may have changed owners since, so I can't really comment on it now.

The thing we found so unique in the area is the differnece between the beaches. Siesta Beach has great sand (my daughter's favorite to play in), Point of Rocks for snorkeling, Turtle Beach is pretty good for shelling, and Casperson for shark's teeth.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:49 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,263,235 times
We have stayed at Siesta Royale Apartments.. they offer small, cottage style apartments. They rent weekly, and the beautiful sand is right out your front door. There is a nice porch also. We like it since it's right on the water, and you can walk to downtown Siesta. It's reasonable too. However, it's not fancy- CLEAN, and nice, but simple..Usually a bedroom or two, a small kitchen and living room area..

Old 08-02-2010, 02:27 PM

164 posts, read 356,201 times
We have stayed at Lido Beach Resort several times and we love it there. Beautiful resort with two pools, outdoor tiki hut bar, and great restaurant on the top floor (we like to go there for breakfast even when we don't stay there...gorgeous view). Lido Beach is lovely and it's a short walk to St. Armand's Circle with upscale shops and restaurants and a short drive to Longboat Key.

Also, Limetree Beach Resort on Lido Beach is a timeshare condo resort (I own two weeks there) but they also rent units and it would be less expensive than LBR.

You can see I am partial to Lido Beach (less traffic and not as crowded as Siesta Key).

Old 08-02-2010, 03:26 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,263,235 times
I agree Lido is beautiful- too pricey for me though!

Old 08-02-2010, 03:34 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue in Ohio View Post
We have stayed at Lido Beach Resort several times and we love it there. Beautiful resort with two pools, outdoor tiki hut bar, and great restaurant on the top floor (we like to go there for breakfast even when we don't stay there...gorgeous view). Lido Beach is lovely and it's a short walk to St. Armand's Circle with upscale shops and restaurants and a short drive to Longboat Key.

Also, Limetree Beach Resort on Lido Beach is a timeshare condo resort (I own two weeks there) but they also rent units and it would be less expensive than LBR.

You can see I am partial to Lido Beach (less traffic and not as crowded as Siesta Key).
I feel like one can never go wrong with Lido - it's beautiful, you have St. Armand's, easy access to downtown, and close to both Longboat/Anna Maria or Siesta Key.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:17 PM

222 posts, read 855,017 times
Thanks all for your responses.

Got a condo in cozy cove in turtle beach for $600 for an entire week.

Hopefully we get great weather.

Thanks again.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:46 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,345,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomet View Post
Thanks all for your responses.

Got a condo in cozy cove in turtle beach for $600 for an entire week.

Hopefully we get great weather.

Thanks again.
This sounds like a good decision to me. Turtle Beach isn't crowded, so you can relax and enjoy your vacation, but it's very accessible to plenty, so you can see everything you want.

As for the weather, let me get out on a limb here:

Glorious, warm, dewy early morning (go for a walk).

Hot as the surface of Venus and brighter than Mercury from 11AM-3PM (get to the beach or pool).

Still hotter than Burma (excuse me, Myanmar), ominous clouds 3PM-5PM, possible Diluvian period-style rain for thirty minute periods (no golf due to to heat, rain, and possible electrocution by lightning).

5PM and after: at least "very warm," all else utterly unpredictable.

I'm a regular meteorological Nostradamus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area