Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2010, 03:06 PM

18 posts, read 35,522 times

Advertisements

As my research on SWFL continues, I've turned up some (to me) awesome values for lake front homes in these areas, some with pools, and great views under 200k. Seems too good to be true. I've done the google street view and notice some are not too well cared for and some updated and neet as a pin. So I can say "I know the map, but not the territory", hoping some here in the know have an opinion. I'm 63 and in between Margaritaville and Geezerville, still leaning to the Margaritaville side, Ha. Like a variety of ages in a neighborhood, low crime, able to fence for a dog and flat for a walk, and 15 min or less to the beach.

Are these homes on Lakes in the Flood zone for insurance purposes? I noticed most had small docks, can one have a small motor boat to put-put around? Does Mr. Al E. Gator and family reside there as well, and would they try to crash my Barbq? How about the mosquito problem?

Thanks for your opinions and info., I got so many quick and kind responses on another thread I started here KC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 04:29 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,920,693 times
Venice Gardens is a lovely neighborhood bounded by Briarwood on the south, 41 on the west, Jacaranda on the east and Center Road on the north. The houses are mostly older, built from the 1950's thru the 1980's. So it explains why the homes are mostly under 200k.

I'd say 90-95% of the properties are well maintained. Those that you see that are not maintained, are usually rentals. Venice Gardens saw a lot of flipping during the peak, and those who can't dump their properties for profit, end up renting them out annually. Since most of the flippers were not local, these properties are not taken care of as well.

Briarwood Road is where there are a ton of rentals because of a large number of duplexes there. The Briarwood Road area, as well as, closer to US41 is where there are more reported crimes. Usual crimes involve vehicle theft and stolen property. People still leave their garage doors wide open... The neighborhood is mostly retirees, and a sprinkling young families.

As far as your questions, the lakes in Venice Gardens are man made, so I doubt it has any bearing on flood zones. I think you can fence your yards without needing permission around the lakes, but I think you would have to find out for sure. Tons of people walk their dogs around Venice Gardens, and without fear for their safety. You can take your small boat around the lakes, and most people enjoy fishing off their docks. Alligators are the norm around the lakes, but they usually stay far away from humans...so no worries there. And lastly, mosquitos are not a problem down here. Thankfully, unlike up North, there are plenty of small bats to eat millions of mosquitos.

Hope that helps.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:46 PM

Many thanks Col. Deering, as an intergalatic crime fighter, your info on the safety of the neighborhood is top notch! Now I'm in trouble since I can continue my fantasy on how much I like this area. Love mid-century modern homes and waters views, sounds like a good age mix for me as well. If the motorized boat is OK on the lake I am almost in paradise. Not too sure on eating fish from lakes with back yard fertaliser run off but that's not a deal breaker for me. Not too into catch and release if it is legal size. Just the alligator thing to get past, they are really a fear to me, especially for my grandkids. Seems like you FL folks respect them and are always mindful of their presence and co-exist fine in general. The good news is not many mosquitos, bad news bats eat them, again this area is not for wimps!!! Years ago I stayed in Tahiti for a few months, where there were roaches the size of a mouse or bigger, we would catch small green lizards, bring them inside and they would bite the heads off the roaches, problem solved. Need to get that spirit back about pests that won't kill ya!

Col. I understand what you mean about out-of-state flippers who let their property go down hill. If you own in a neighborhood I think it is your responsibility to keep your place up to par, rental or not.

Again thanks for your quick response and most valuable information.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:20 AM
GPH

94 posts, read 232,653 times
We looked in Venice Gardens and around Claw Lake. Venice Gardens has no deed restrictions, so you will see cars, trucks, trailers etc. on the lawns and property. Some really nice streets though, especially, Cambridge. The homes around Claw Lake have deed restrictions and therefore the properties were better kept.

We finally bought in a great area in Venice called Pinebrook South, has deed restrictions, not age, great lake front properties, clubhouse, pool, and a private boat ramp(for small boats) that will take you out to the intracoastal.

Good Luck

Old 08-23-2010, 05:43 AM

14 posts, read 58,553 times
I'm a realtor and I live in Venice Gardens. I second what Col. Deering had to say. This is a nice community, with a low crime rate, no deed restrictions. You can fence your yard, walk your dog, etc.,etc. The vast majority of homes are extremely well kept but, as in any non-restricted community, there are always a few who don't take that responsibility seriously. Fortunately they are few and far between. There are plenty of good deals to be had in this neighborhood. Some are straight sales, some are short sales and the prices are reasonable. Venice Gardens is centrally located and convenient to most anything, including the beach...you're only about 5-10 minutes away from Casperson and several other beaches. You can join the neighborhood association if you want to - it's optional and inexpensive. There's a clubhouse on Shamrock Drive with a nice pool and playground area. As mentioned by GPH, Pinebrook South is also a great little community...usually a little pricier than Venice Gardens but very nice.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:27 AM

GPH congratulations on your purchase in Pinebrook South. I so understand all that goes in to this relo process, hope your dreams are coming true! Good info on Venice Gardens and Claw Lake ( what is that Claw attached to lol?) I will for sure check out Pinebrook South on the Google real estate map, it sounds very nice and I can tell there is one good neighbor for sure. Many thanks. K.C.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:02 AM

Hi Kremlack, wow you live in Venice Gardens and are a realtor, you are sure the ultimate expert I needed.
Thanks for the info., sounds like an area I would be just fine with. The choices down in SWFL are so tempting. Like many others, I have a lot of real estate to sell before I can commit to a move and the market in Oregon is slow, but not as much of a bargain as your area. Lot's of issues to deal with before the choice to go is made for sure. All of you have made me happy to see I wasn't that far off track about the areas I liked on the internet sites. At this point I have my city home and a vacant lot, one house off the ocean front, for sale. A few nibbles but no strikes yet, once this is closed out I can make a serious scouting trip to the area. Again thanks for the response and I will remember you as a realtor when I am closer to action. Best wishes, k.C.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:13 AM

14 posts, read 58,553 times
Good Luck selling your Oregon property! Contact me anytime you're in the area and ready to scout it out.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:17 AM
GPH

94 posts, read 232,653 times
K.C. Shore, Good Luck wherever you land, we are happy with our choice and have already found some very nice people in the neighborhood. Definately put Pinebrook South on your short list for neighborhoods in Venice.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:35 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,091,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kremlack View Post
Good Luck selling your Oregon property! Contact me anytime you're in the area and ready to scout it out.

Hey! Hey! Hey! Bad Kremlack Bad!! You need to register as a real estate agent!! Naughty Naughty!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area