Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2010, 07:31 AM

20 posts, read 37,974 times

Advertisements

Hi all

After much research, thanks to the help from you all on an earlier thread, i have looked into the schooling in sarasota for my two children (11 & 13).

I love the look of Pine view and this would be my first choice, the slight problem i think i will face is the entrance exam, as my children although speak, read and write english, they have been schooled in French, so are not upto the age standard in English that they would have been had they been schooled in england, therefore i think they would possibly struggle to get in (obviously am awaiting info from school direct),

Anyway i have looked into some of the other schools mentioned and have pin pointed a couple the Montessori Charter school (i believe a charter school is non fee paying but please correct if i am wrong) and the Sarsota Middle School,

What i would like to know is has anyone got any info on these schools good and bad reports all welcome, we are looking to relocate in December so would be looking to get them sorted for the New year term.

Many thanks again in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 12:03 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,946,407 times
Hi There,

The school might have a way to convert the testing into your native language but here's the problem with getting into PV. They only accept kids in the beginning of school. They have a "cut off date". Call the Sarasota county school board and see what that date is.

I believe the Montessori school you are referring to is Island Village Montessori School. I helped the director start the school up many years ago. When the school was started up many kids that had "issues" elected to go to the school. I pulled my kids and sent them to Pine View many years ago. Since then I've heard mixed reviews about the school.

Next is Sarasota Middle. If PV was not an option than I think SMS is worth looking into.

Here are some website to look at for more info:
School Accountability Report...
www.greatschools.com

Good luck with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlemons View Post
Hi all

After much research, thanks to the help from you all on an earlier thread, i have looked into the schooling in sarasota for my two children (11 & 13).

I love the look of Pine view and this would be my first choice, the slight problem i think i will face is the entrance exam, as my children although speak, read and write english, they have been schooled in French, so are not upto the age standard in English that they would have been had they been schooled in england, therefore i think they would possibly struggle to get in (obviously am awaiting info from school direct),

Anyway i have looked into some of the other schools mentioned and have pin pointed a couple the Montessori Charter school (i believe a charter school is non fee paying but please correct if i am wrong) and the Sarsota Middle School,

What i would like to know is has anyone got any info on these schools good and bad reports all welcome, we are looking to relocate in December so would be looking to get them sorted for the New year term.

Many thanks again in advance.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:21 PM

879 posts, read 1,955,611 times
pretty sure everything was due mid april at PV. it may have been may but - i could be thinking of the other school we considered.

i would think an IQ test and acheivement testing can be done in any language as long as it is an accepted standardized test.

good luck!!

Old 08-28-2010, 10:49 PM

Thank you, looks like i have missed the boat so to speak for PV this year, think will have to try Montessori or even a private/homeschool tutor for the few months of next year then apply next spring for September 2012,

Old 08-29-2010, 05:47 PM

29 posts, read 68,926 times
I am an educator at Island Village Montessori School and while I understand that there were some organizational issues, etc. some years ago, things have changed very much for the better. We are an "A" school (according to FCAT scores) and have excellent scores in all areas, at all levels.

More than that, IVMS is a school which by design and commitment, follows each child as an individual. The Montessori philosophy regards this as the central aspect of education, and it is something that is taken very seriously at IVMS even while the public school curriculum and standards are incorporated.

I have three children at IVMS, all different ages and all quite different in temperament, intellect, and interests. Each is very much a part of his/her learning environment; each has educators (two full time in each room) who seek to understand and bond with him/her as well as adjust academic expectations and lessons according to needs. Each finds at school an environment which supports success as a process and not just as a product.

This is a school which rewards students who are self-directed and develop qualities of independence in learning, kindness, courtesy, academic excellence, and personal excellence with recognition of not only their end achievements, but their efforts as well. Work is not handed back with red marks and that's the end -- educators work with the children to make sure that concepts are mastered and absorbed rather than 'checked off' on a list. Children have an increasing level of responsibility for completing work and projects as they mature and as their abilities dictate. Gifted children have the freedom to explore way beyond the standard curriculum, while challenged children are supported in the ways they require. Because a Montessori learning environment is emphatically not standardized, this is possible and encouraged.

ETA: I'm not sure where the reputation came from that IVMS is a school for only 'irregulars' or kids with learning challenges. We have many gifted kids with us whose parents specifically elect to come to IVMS rather than PV or another 'gifted' program because the Montessori approach does not remove gifted kids; it simply accommodates them naturally because of how a Montessori learning environment runs. Children are not all doing the same thing at the same time; all children in a learning environment (classroom) are not doing the same work, nor are they in the same 'grade'. They each do what is appropriate for them, with certain specific items being necessary for state/public curriculum, and supported to achieve their personal goals -- whether those goals require extra IEP support or an expansion of their own learning plan because they are gifted in one or more areas and want/need to pursue interests beyond what others are doing.

Additionally IVMS has a real commitment to arts education; it is an integral part of the curriculum and is supported in ways that most other schools cannot and do not.

www.islandvillage.org

I understand the pull of Pine View and would not say anything negative about it. However, it is not for every child -- not even every gifted child. It's worth exploring many other options, and IVMS is an excellent one. It is also a true gift to be able to access an excellent Montessori education for free. We have had many students and educators come to us from private Montessori schools of renown in this area (not naming names) who can testify to the excellence of our school.

I am happy to answer any questions. By the way, not that it matters -- but I have taught at many different schools, and am also highly qualified (hold a Ph.D. and have been a professor at a major university in my field as well as held positions in the 'real' world related to it; I am also a published author). I judge each place on its merits, and IVMS is truly a place of excellence.

Are there problems? Certainly; no school is perfect and no place is for everyone. Yet I urge you to consider the tremendous positives about the school, especially if you are looking for something a little bit 'outside the box' academically and where your child will be valued as an individual not just in theory but in practice.

Last edited by Gsanmb; 08-29-2010 at 06:17 PM..

Old 08-29-2010, 06:09 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,946,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsanmb View Post
I am an educator at Island Village Montessori School and while I understand that there were some organizational issues, etc. some years ago, things have changed very much for the better. We are an "A" school (according to FCAT scores) and have excellent scores in all areas, at all levels.

More than that, IVMS is a school which by design and commitment, follows each child as an individual. The Montessori philosophy regards this as the central aspect of education, and it is something that is taken very seriously at IVMS even while the public school curriculum and standards are incorporated.

I have three children at IVMS, all different ages and all quite different in temperament, intellect, and interests. Each is very much a part of his/her learning environment; each has educators (two full time in each room) who seek to understand and bond with him/her as well as adjust academic expectations and lessons according to needs. Each finds at school an environment which supports success as a process and not just as a product.

This is a school which rewards students who are self-directed and develop qualities of independence in learning, kindness, courtesy, academic excellence, and personal excellence with recognition of not only their end achievements, but their efforts as well. Work is not handed back with red marks and that's the end -- educators work with the children to make sure that concepts are mastered and absorbed rather than 'checked off' on a list. Children have an increasing level of responsibility for completing work and projects as they mature and as their abilities dictate. Gifted children have the freedom to explore way beyond the standard curriculum, while challenged children are supported in the ways they require. Because a Montessori learning environment is emphatically not standardized, this is possible and encouraged.

ETA: I'm not sure where the reputation came from that IVMS is a school for only 'irregulars' or kids with learning challenges. Our percentages in this area are exactly as they are at the regular public schools, with the exception of Pine View (which cannot be compared as it is an entrance exam school). We have many gifted kids with us whose parents specifically elect to come to IVMS rather than PV or another 'gifted' program because the Montessori approach does not remove gifted kids; it simply accommodates them naturally because of how a Montessori learning environment runs. Children are not all doing the same thing at the same time; all children in a learning environment (classroom) are not doing the same work, nor are they in the same 'grade'. They each do what is appropriate for them, with certain specific items being necessary for state/public curriculum, and supported to achieve their personal goals -- whether those goals require extra IEP support or an expansion of their own learning plan because they are gifted in one or more areas and want/need to pursue interests beyond what others are doing.

Additionally IVMS has a real commitment to arts education; it is an integral part of the curriculum and is supported in ways that most other schools cannot and do not.

www.islandvillage.org

I understand the pull of Pine View and would not say anything negative about it. However, it is not for every child -- not even every gifted child. It's worth exploring many other options, and IVMS is an excellent one. It is also a true gift to be able to access an excellent Montessori education for free. We have had many students and educators come to us from private Montessori schools of renown in this area (not naming names) who can testify to the excellence of our school.

I am happy to answer any questions. By the way, not that it matters -- but I have taught at many different schools, and am also highly qualified (hold a Ph.D. and have been a professor at a major university in my field as well as held positions in the 'real' world related to it; I am also a published author). I judge each place on its merits, and IVMS is truly a place of excellence.

Are there problems? Certainly; no school is perfect and no place is for everyone. Yet I urge you to consider the tremendous positives about the school, especially if you are looking for something a little bit 'outside the box' academically and where your child will be valued as an individual not just in theory but in practice.
I think Montessori is a wonderful way to educate children. I think there are only two original teachers left from when I was there-Valerie and Tammy. Interestingly enough, when they were hired on they worked together as a team in the same room. It's good to hear that Island Village has turned in a positive direction.

I agree that you can't be sure of how each child will react to a certain environment-Montessori, full time gifted, etc.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:04 AM

Thank you Gsanmb for taking the time to write so glowingly about the school, my children went a Montessori nursery when we lived in England so i am very aware of the way the teach, which is one reason why i have singled this school out, i will certainly explore this option more, and will be in touch with the school personally

Old 08-31-2010, 04:32 PM

29 posts, read 68,926 times
I would be happy to answer any questions personally or put you in touch with the director of admissions if you contact me via private mail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area