Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 08:01 PM

879 posts, read 1,953,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachymom View Post
Haha! I know! I thought the same thing. But it all worked out!
so funny! we were on the same panic-attack schedule lol I think it sounds more fun over by you though, it's kind of a ghost town over here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 08:19 PM

40 posts, read 170,767 times
A question about the heat and proximity to the gulf. Does being closer to the water help with the heat during the summer? We won't be able to live right on the water, but if you were say 5 miles from the water vs. 15 miles, does it make that much of a difference. I guess I am thinking LWR compared to Palmer Ranch. Thanks.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:25 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,745,652 times
Only thing I can go by is the TV weather forecasts but there isn't much of a difference. Maybe 1-2 degrees but it is identical in almost every way. One thing I've noticed at the beach in the summer is that you often have sunny skies when the areas inland around I-75 or so are getting big thunderstorms.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:35 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,925,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamehameha View Post
A question about the heat and proximity to the gulf. Does being closer to the water help with the heat during the summer? We won't be able to live right on the water, but if you were say 5 miles from the water vs. 15 miles, does it make that much of a difference. I guess I am thinking LWR compared to Palmer Ranch. Thanks.
The frost line runs right below Tampa so generally anything south of Tampa is not going to freeze in the winter (last winter was an exception to the rule). It may be a little cooler in PR but not a lot.

One of the big differences is the time it takes to get to the beach-LWR is about 35-40 minutes (not during season) to Siesta (or any beach) and PR is about 10-15 minutes (not during season). This may not seem like a big difference now but it will if you live here and like to spend a lot of time at the beach. If you have a job that requires commuting than LWR might be the better option because it's closer to I-75 than PR.

Another difference is the CDD fees. LWR has them and PR does not. Just make sure that you look into all the costs of living in each neighborhood-whether it's LWR or PR.

Lastly, is Chinese Drywall. There were a few homes in LWR that had CDW. Several of them have been remeditated but it's still something to be aware of. Again, I always recommend a good home inspector no matter where you end up.

I know you're only looking at renting but some of these are things to think of down the road.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:50 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,345,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
One of the big differences is the time it takes to get to the beach-LWR is about 35-40 minutes (not during season) to Siesta (or any beach) and PR is about 10-15 minutes (not during season). This may not seem like a big difference now but it will if you live here and like to spend a lot of time at the beach. If you have a job that requires commuting than LWR might be the better option because it's closer to I-75 than PR.
We just bought in Palmer Ranch seven months ago, and had considered Lakewood Ranch.

The reason Gal mentioned above has panned out as the perfect reason we made the right choice. That additional 20-30 minutes to the beach will really dictate how you experience your Sarasota lifestyle. As it is, we know we can decide from one moment to the next, jump in the car, and be walking in sand in ten minutes. LWR would definitely not have this dynamic.

I'm sure there are good reasons to consider LWR, but the beach proximity is a big one to go with PR.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:02 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
There are plenty of nice neighborhoods here that are NOT in gated communities. These will be closer to all beaches and other amenities. Also, since I live two blocks from the bay I can tell you it is decidedly cooler living closer to the water with more breeze. When I head east I see the temperature readout in my car climb by a few degrees, and lower again as I reach my house. But a lot depends on whether you live in an area with a lot of shade trees or near a body of water where you get nice breezes..

Craigslist is not a bad source for rentals, just do you homework and check up on the landlord that he is legit and not going into foreclosure. In fact, most people here find their homes or apartments WITHOUT benefit of realtor, most realtors don't handle rentals, and from what I have read on this forum, some of the ones that do don't seem that helpful. Just doing a lot of "googling" on the 'net can often prove fruitful.

Good luck to you.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:14 AM

27,220 posts, read 43,942,133 times
I'm very late joining the thread but there is also a newer site called HotPads, which is a nice user-friendly site that utilizes a map-oriented search. It has sales and rentals.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:04 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
our daughter used to live in condo on Venice Island that was just across the street from the Gulf--they bought a house that is in Nokomis in Sorrento East which is fairly close to the Gulf but not as close
as they were--now they are probably 1.5 to 2 mi from Casey Key as the crow flies--cause there is no direct way over

she remarked when we were visiting in June that they did notice a difference in the air temp/quality where they were living now--
not much--but just not as cool and not as much breeze--
they used to keep the windows in bedroom and on their lanai open (louvered slats) and that would make nice wind flow in the apt
now at the house while they have sliding glass doors out to the pool/lanai area it faces AWAY from the Gulf side of the house--so their house basically blocks the Gulf side breeze...and it just feels hotter than it did at the condo
but they have their pool so it was a trade they can live with
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area