Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 09:31 AM

16 posts, read 50,786 times

Advertisements

We are closing on our house next week!!! Very excited, but at the same time it's starting to really hit home that we are leaving practically our entire family. My in-laws are in New Port Richey, but they are elderly and we prob won't see them that often unfortunately.
We are very close to my family. They are upset at our move, but really have been supportive. It sort of just hit me last night and I was really upset. My husband said, of course, it's going to be a difficult transition and we are going to be sad. All in all, I know we are making the right decision for us and giving our two young daughters a much better childhood. Anyone have any words of wisdom or encouragement?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 10:13 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,144,228 times
just think about how cold and snowy it will be shortly where you are at. if thats not enough to cheer you up then think about the cheaper car insurance, lower taxes, less expensive houses, beautiful weather every day, friendlier people, always something to do. if that does not do it then go sit on middle beach or manasota beach with a couple drinks at sundown.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:38 AM

386 posts, read 1,015,976 times
We moved recently and I know the feelings you are experiencing. Take a look at this "Life Event Stress Scale".

http://www.pluk.org/training/Stress_Management.pdf

Change in residence is 20 points, and if you add up the events that accompany it (ie. change in schools, church, social and recreational habits, mortgage, etc.) the score can climb quickly.

Your husband is correct. It's a difficult transition. It's good that your family is supportive. Maybe it would help to acknowledge the stress and then do whatever it is you normally do to relieve it. When we sold and closed on our home and moving day was eminent I felt very apprehensive even though I knew it was the right decision. It's 6 weeks later now and when I reflect on how I was feeling I find it hard to believe I felt that way! I think it's just human. Take care of yourself and recognize the validity of your emotions. Moving is a major life event and I've yet to meet anyone who thinks it's fun or easy.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:47 PM

Thanks for all your kind words of wisdom. It's going to be tough, but it's the best decision for our family without a doubt!! Can't wait to have that drink at sunset gjersey!!!!

Old 10-24-2010, 08:42 AM

477 posts, read 987,775 times
I know exactly how you feel....it is an adjustment, for sure. It hasn't been easy but I have to say it has all been worth it. You will be so busy at first unpacking and exploring. Planning for family to come visit is fun! My family has already started planning for their move down here, too. We "paved the way"!!! You will love it, especially during winter when your girls won't be shut indoors for months on end. It's too beautiful here for words.....

Old 10-24-2010, 12:54 PM

42 posts, read 98,673 times
When you are older, you will find that the only regrets you have are the opportunities not taken. If you find, down the road that this was not the move for you, you can always move again. You are not tied to anywhere for life. I think, when we're young, we tend to limit ourselves for no reason.
I'm 57 and lived in Ft. Lauderdale for several years as a child. Those were fantastic years for me and I always wanted to go back. My husband and I have vacationed in Sarasota area since 1983 and had chances to get teaching jobs in the area at that time. My daughter was a toddler and I didn't want to take her away from our family in Ohio, so we stayed in Ohio. We JUST bought a second home in Venice a year ago and are finally going to be able to move to Fla. full time soon. I've spent several weeks down there this year and love it! Feels like I'm finally "home!"
So, go and try it! Hopefully, someday, you'll look back and find it was the best decision you ever made! AND do try the beach at sunset! It's great-with or without drinks!

Old 10-24-2010, 01:15 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,144,228 times
NKat,

if you are closing on the 1st of november and you have to be packed and out of the house heading south then, you will not have any time to be sad. you are going to be dead tired and when you hit bed will not move till the alarm goes off.

my wife and i have a spot in the sand reserved for you, your husband and kids to watch a sunset.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:19 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,264,665 times
You can do this... if I can do it, you can. I moved here without my family whom I am also, tremendously close with (like, obsessively close LOL).. I moved, while my husband stayed in Chicago to sell our home. I did it alone, without my husband OR our 5 month old. daughter. I had a job lined up and that was the agreement. Whoever had a job lined up first would go and arrange for an apartment..I lived here alone for 5 months, and only saw my husband and daughter twice during that time with the exception of pictures. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do, but 4 years later it was the best decision we ever made. I have to admit, the first two years being here were difficult. It was a really big transition from Chicago. Things were different.. some good and some bad. You have to be ready for the struggle though. When you get here, be ready for the differences and the hardships. Give yourself a chance to adjust. I had a few moments our first two years here; I missed my family, hated my new job and got lost everywhere I went, ALL THE TIME. However, it got so much easier..we settled, met friends and have grown to be locals. Everyone here is so nice and friendly, people you meet will be from all different parts, sharing that common bond of escaping the cold. You will have abundant warmth and sunshine all the time, and you will be able to eliminate the bulk of winter items from your wardrobe. Your kids will love the sunshine, the wildlife and the happiness that you brought them by moving here.. Its paradise, every morning, every day and every night is beautiful...bumps will come, but you will take them in stride because you live in the most beautiful place in teh US!!

Old 10-25-2010, 06:46 AM

I have been so busy.....you are right gjersery....packing like a madwoman!! I have also found that I have this permanent smile on my face that just won't go away!! We are so excited to seize this opportunity for all of us esp. our girls!! It's so refreshing to be able to start a new chapter in our lives together. I really feel that I will look back on this as the best decision we ever did make! Reading all your kind words this morning has brought a big smile to my face and now let the packing commence!!
Headed out Friday morning.....and temp for moving day, Thursday, 49...brrrr!!! Getting out just in time!!!

Old 10-25-2010, 02:07 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,891,737 times
If it makes you feel any better, I'll keep you posted on the crappy snowy weather here in Wisconsin. Tomorrow, temps falling throughout the day, winds 20-30mph with gusts to 45 mph.
Thursday, HIGH of 45.
I wish I was moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area