Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 05:32 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,741,099 times

Advertisements

I thought this story sounded familiar!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 07:03 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Wanted to pipe in re: Dolphin Tower - I agree, do NOT buy there!

My husband is an architect and we have discussed it at length - neither of us believe that building will ever re-open - the cost to fix will be prohibitive, and that is if they ever even figure out HOW to fix it, which to my knowledge still hasn't been done. It was not built properly in the first place, and now the structure is failing. Anyway, I know you want a unit you can actually USE, not one that you can't even get in to see!

Old 11-29-2010, 08:56 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,345,307 times
Based on the OP's last post in this thread ("mum was fine in a mobile home," "funky is fine"), I think Gulf Gate could work.

But let's not forget that Gulf gate is not downtown by a LONG stretch. It's true that it has more walkability than almost anywhere else I can think of here, but it's definitely an apples-and-oranges scenario.

That said, I doubt one could find a funkier, cooler spot much of anywhere for under $100K. You'd certainly have access to a variety of decent restaurants.

Plus, if dependent on public transportation, it's right near 41, so that would make the rest of Sarasota relatively accessible by bus.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:00 PM

4,896 posts, read 14,142,093 times
IMO, I'd tell you to come & rent for your first winter & get your bearings on the area.

I lived in a 1/1 on Palm Ave from 2007-2009. I paid $825/mo. rent. Next door to me was the new "Burns Court Condominiums." (I'm talking Palm & Selby). They rent for $3K a month and sell for upwards of 1 million. This area is south of Fruitville & two blocks north to Main Street.

On the edge of Gillespie Park, off of Orange Avenue is Citrus Square. This is an area that Palm Ave. used to mimic about 20/25 years ago/borderline iffy. However, Citrus Square has condos in the mid 150's for sale. Citrus Square is one block north of Fruitville Road. If I was in the market for a condo, that's where I'd look if i wanted to be on the edge of downtown.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:33 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,045,219 times
I was logging on here to put another 2 cents in, but LWAF beat me to it.
Not only do I agree with her advice to rent next winter (I found a good rental downtown last winter on VRBO), but I agree with her recommendations of Citrus Square & Burns COurt as well. I didn't realize the COndos there rented for "only" 3K a month - I think that's a terrific price for that place. And if you only plan to be there 3 - 4 months, you can probably handle a higher monthly payment than if you had to pay it for 12 months.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
I was logging on here to put another 2 cents in, but LWAF beat me to it.
Not only do I agree with her advice to rent next winter (I found a good rental downtown last winter on VRBO), but I agree with her recommendations of Citrus Square & Burns COurt as well. I didn't realize the COndos there rented for "only" 3K a month - I think that's a terrific price for that place. And if you only plan to be there 3 - 4 months, you can probably handle a higher monthly payment than if you had to pay it for 12 months.
The OP wants to buy a place for UNDER $100,000 - that is just not going to happen in those areas, which is why Gulf Gate was suggested.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:42 PM

4,896 posts, read 14,142,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
The OP wants to buy a place for UNDER $100,000 - that is just not going to happen in those areas, which is why Gulf Gate was suggested.
I hear ya GC...to be downtown at the moment, they're looking mid 100's; renting (not necessarily for 3K), can be done all around downtown for between $700 & a thousand if they poke around....that would give them the experience of what proximity, imo, that they would might enjoy. Not sure if you can buy for less over in Citrus Square but, as "they" say, never say never!

I personally went for the cheapest price in what I felt was the best neighborhood...I figured I paid an extra $100 a month just to park (kinda like NYC)...for proximity, I felt it was worth it.

Again, it all depends on what kind of funkiness they want to put up with! I think Cherry Lane studios, which are actually a nice size considering the location, might be another option. Last year, they were asking $675 a month. Large main area with full eat in kitchen & bath, basically right off Orange & Laurel. Just food for thought. I looked high & low when I left Palm but started five months b4 I moved over to Hillview area. And, again, the economy being as it is, there may be gems in the rough just waiting to be discovered.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
I hear ya GC...to be downtown at the moment, they're looking mid 100's; renting (not necessarily for 3K), can be done all around downtown for between $700 & a thousand if they poke around....that would give them the experience of what proximity, imo, that they would might enjoy. Not sure if you can buy for less over in Citrus Square but, as "they" say, never say never!

I personally went for the cheapest price in what I felt was the best neighborhood...I figured I paid an extra $100 a month just to park (kinda like NYC)...for proximity, I felt it was worth it.

Again, it all depends on what kind of funkiness they want to put up with! I think Cherry Lane studios, which are actually a nice size considering the location, might be another option. Last year, they were asking $675 a month. Large main area with full eat in kitchen & bath, basically right off Orange & Laurel. Just food for thought. I looked high & low when I left Palm but started five months b4 I moved over to Hillview area. And, again, the economy being as it is, there may be gems in the rough just waiting to be discovered.
True, one can "never say never" especially in this economy - they just might get lucky! That Citrus Square is really beautiful.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:57 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,741,099 times
Unfortunately we don't have the option of renting for a month or a winter right now. We're not retired yet. And we don't want to wait 2 years before buying. With the real estate market the way it currently is, we are thinking that we should buy this winter or next spring. Who knows what might happen in 2 or 3 years?

This is not what I anticipated doing, I would certainly rather spend a winter or two in an area before buying.

The $100K is not hard, we just don't want to spend more. I think I'm going to end up comparing Gulf Gate with Dunedon.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:40 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,925,572 times
I don't know too much about the Dunedin area but I think it's always good to check out all of your options before making any definite decisions.

I was in the Gulf Gate area this afternoon and forgot how much I liked it! I noticed there were many new shops and restaurants since last time I've been there. I think I'm going to go back in the next few weeks and do some more browsing to see what other cool places I can find.

I was surprised to still see the Boar's Head Lounge still there. That's been there since I was a kid. The aquarium store has been there for a while as well and a few of the consignment shops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area