Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 06:31 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,086,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
Thanks, SJ. Glad to hear you had a good experience with them. However, they seem to have many more negative reviews on TransportReviews than most other companies.
Coachgns, I have no direct history with shipping cars, and don't know any shippers of cars. But a friend of mine who is a whole sale dealer (very very small operation) sells cars on ebay all the time, and ships them with the lowest cost shippers he can find - he hasn't had a problem. But, caution is always wise. Let me know how it turns out.

By brother in laws father, rides a train down and has the train ship his car with him to Orlando, then he drives the rest of the way. He loves the trip. Don't know if that is of any interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 09:09 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,001,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
It's an opinion board, chill out!
Just rude...

Old 12-08-2010, 01:52 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,044,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Coachgns, I have no direct history with shipping cars, and don't know any shippers of cars. But a friend of mine who is a whole sale dealer (very very small operation) sells cars on ebay all the time, and ships them with the lowest cost shippers he can find - he hasn't had a problem. But, caution is always wise. Let me know how it turns out.

By brother in laws father, rides a train down and has the train ship his car with him to Orlando, then he drives the rest of the way. He loves the trip. Don't know if that is of any interest.

We are booked on the Autotrain, but there are problems with that. First of all, the cost is $800 for the two of us.
They have sleeper cars but none are available, so we'd spend 18 hours sitting in a coach style seat - after driving 5 hours (If we don't hit traffic in NYC, Philly or DC area so it'll probably be more), and then have to drive 3+ hours after getting to Orlando. And I kind of have a "psychlogical" limit of about 3-4 hours driving at a time. So I think shipping car & flying down is much better for me personally - except for the fear of what could happen to my car during shipping. But then again, that's what insurance is for! :-)

Old 12-09-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
We are booked on the Autotrain, but there are problems with that. First of all, the cost is $800 for the two of us.
They have sleeper cars but none are available, so we'd spend 18 hours sitting in a coach style seat - after driving 5 hours (If we don't hit traffic in NYC, Philly or DC area so it'll probably be more), and then have to drive 3+ hours after getting to Orlando. And I kind of have a "psychlogical" limit of about 3-4 hours driving at a time. So I think shipping car & flying down is much better for me personally - except for the fear of what could happen to my car during shipping. But then again, that's what insurance is for! :-)
Well, if you follow up on the autotrain, let us know about your experience. I haven't done it yet, but have considered it with all the trips we take back and forth.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:35 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,688,992 times
Big House, I have used the autotrain and can't complain about the service. Here are a few observations:
the sleeping compartments are tiny... amazingly so. trying to change clothing in a turned down compartment is an experience.
The bathroom is...down the hall. so if you habitually wake up in the middle of the night...
depending on how you were loaded, it could take you a long time to get your car at the destination.

It can be quite a drive from your terminal to where you're eventually going.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman_6 View Post
Big House, I have used the autotrain and can't complain about the service. Here are a few observations:
the sleeping compartments are tiny... amazingly so. trying to change clothing in a turned down compartment is an experience.
The bathroom is...down the hall. so if you habitually wake up in the middle of the night...
depending on how you were loaded, it could take you a long time to get your car at the destination.

It can be quite a drive from your terminal to where you're eventually going.
I know that is the case if you are coming down from the north, but on the return trip, the drive would be less than an hour. I don't remember, but do they allow pets? I guess I'll have to check that out. It is a nice option to think about. Thanks for reminding me, I have a trip north coming up soon.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:27 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,044,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
I know that is the case if you are coming down from the north, but on the return trip, the drive would be less than an hour. I don't remember, but do they allow pets? I guess I'll have to check that out. It is a nice option to think about. Thanks for reminding me, I have a trip north coming up soon.
Unfortunately, they do NOT accept pets. Fortunately, the dog that became a member of our family when we were in Fla fit under the seat in the plane, so she's now up north.

She clearly misses fla though. Every morning, first thing she does, even before potty, is to go sit in the sunbeam that comes in the LR window! :-)

Old 04-27-2011, 06:32 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,835,849 times
Just thinking, cruise ships could have a whole new business of shipping people and cars from NE US in the fall to Florida (or SC or GA) ports and then doing the reverse in the spring.

2 -3 day cruise. what a great idea. you heard it here first :-)

Old 04-27-2011, 10:41 AM

275 posts, read 715,230 times
I get cars shipped to me all the time (one from Wyoming in the garage right now) and have compiled a list of companies I'd use again. It's a short list.

DO NOT put a car cover on a car being carried on an open transporter! The wind buffeting the cover will chaff the paint. And frankly, as long as the tractor has decent fuel filters on it (the soot issue), your car will be less likely to get any stone chips on the top level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area