Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2007, 07:38 AM

155 posts, read 1,053,536 times

Advertisements

Plan on living in Northport,FL and was wondering what good companies are in Sarasota, FL for work? I have a 4year degree in Business Marketing 10 years customer service experience, 1 year management experience. Would like to get a job for a company that pays 30-35K, is this possible or is it mainly minimum wage jobs in this area? Thanks or the tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 07:56 AM

17,555 posts, read 39,200,231 times
Juno, it really is mostly minimum wage jobs, catering to tourists and wealthy retirees. My hubby and I lived there for 17 years, he is an architect with a 5-year degree and many years experience, but ended up having to commute to Tampa (one and one half hours) for a decent job.

A city like Tampa would be much better suited to your skills - I'm pretty sure there are large call centers there with good jobs where you can make that salary.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:24 AM

9 posts, read 21,306 times
30-35k in wages or wages and benefits? No difference; this is a ridiculously low amount given experience and education -- you may find it interesting that national nonsupervisory wages peaked in 1972. Another way to think of same, a single wage earner could support an entire household; a number of married women did work but didn't have to for economic reasons.
If wages had kept pace with inflation and productivity, you would be asking - and receiving - 60 to 75k per annum minimum but capital, through the mediation of the State, has exercised a multi-decade attack on labor in an attempt to recover earlier, higher, Rates [not masses] of profit,,,and has not succeeded. [Profit in this case does not refer to earnings, an accounting measure that's been overstated since the later 1980s,,, better to look at Smithers & Co. 'q' for the SP500 or EVA for individual firms if not doing a classic econ analysis.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:40 AM

9 posts, read 21,306 times
By adding to workforce, Phase 3 'womens lib' helped depress avg. wages. Exploitation is not liberation.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:45 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,563,809 times
You can find some jobs in that wage range, probably not in North Port, but in Sarasota there are some. To search for jobs in Sarasota and Bradenton go to www.jobfocus.com. To search in general by city try www.indeed.com, www.simplyhired.com, or www.employflorida.com.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:31 PM

3,179 posts, read 6,013,216 times
With the degree and experience, I think you're aiming a little low in the $$$. Kind of hard to live off $30k/yr, but maybe not in your circumstance.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:56 PM

354 posts, read 1,274,700 times
The better job pool is on the other side of the bay in Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater/Pinellas pk. North port will put you 90 mins. away from that.

Your NP radius is going to be Bradenton to Ft. Myers for 60 min drive. When I moved here I chose Venice because it gave me the option of Tampa for work. I would prefer Sarasota/Bradenton.

I can't speak for your job search as you will have to look at all search engines for that. Many employers are using Craigslist and I have a weekly e-mail search set up on Career builder and Monster.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:04 PM

354 posts, read 1,274,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamRE View Post
You can find some jobs in that wage range, probably not in North Port, but in Sarasota there are some. To search for jobs in Sarasota and Bradenton go to www.jobfocus.com. To search in general by city try www.indeed.com, www.simplyhired.com, or www.employflorida.com.
I like this list of search engines - I will have to save these links !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area