Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 10:30 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,142,093 times

Advertisements

Gee, now, who's name do you thing the gun the Tampa teenager used to shoot this week's fallen policeman would be registered to?

Concealed or unconcealed, permit or no permit, there's obviously a problem...

Old 02-23-2011, 10:44 AM

8,266 posts, read 4,666,091 times
Can someone please answer my question about whether drinking establishments (such as bars, clubs, restaurants) allow patrons inside with guns in Sarasota? Carrying a gun into a grocery store while sober is one thing - however a bunch of patrons in a club who have had "one too many" with loaded guns at their side is whole other can of worms.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:54 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
Can someone please answer my question about whether drinking establishments (such as bars, clubs, restaurants) allow patrons inside with guns in Sarasota? Carrying a gun into a grocery store while sober is one thing - however a bunch of patrons in a club who have had "one too many" with loaded guns at their side is whole other can of worms.
A law abiding permit holder knows that he/she may not take a weapon into a place that serves alcohol, a sporting event, a voting place, a school, an airport, and some other things I can't recall off the top of my head. So, to answer your question, it is a huge no-no to bring a gun into a bar.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:36 AM

153 posts, read 287,980 times
CCW owners cannot carry where alcohol is served, but cops can, on duty or off. "They" go by a different set of rules than civilians.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:55 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,465,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnInChicago View Post
CCW owners cannot carry where alcohol is served, but cops can, on duty or off. "They" go by a different set of rules than civilians.
A CCW holder can go into establishments that serve alcohol if the establishments primary revenue is not alcohol sales. You can go to Outback or Chili's all day long and eat, you just cant sit at the bar.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:58 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,888,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atroxanautin View Post
You are too quick to judge. I was just trying to bring some humor into the discussion
And I laughed!!

Old 02-23-2011, 12:32 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,465,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
For clarification,

[SIZE=1][SIZE=1][LEFT]A license shall not authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon
or firearm into any place of nuisance, police station, detention facility,
courthouse, polling place, meeting of any state, county, municipal, or special
district governing body, any school, any professional or school athletic event
not related to firearms, portion of an establishment licensed to dispense
alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, inside the sterile and
passenger area of an airport, or any place where the carrying of firearms is
prohibited by federal law.[/LEFT]

[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Old 02-23-2011, 12:57 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,142,555 times
status of the bill based on an email from a state senator:

Thank you for taking the time to write to me your support of Senator Evers’ Senate Bill 234. Senate Bill 234 was postponed by its sponsor Senator Evers. Senator Evers is the chair of the Criminal Justice Committee and will decide when it will be brought onto the agenda again. When Senate Bill 234 is brought before the Criminal Justice Committee, I will keep your e-mail in mind. You can follow Senate Bill 234 by logging on to www.flsenate.gov. Please continue to write to me on issues important to you.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:27 PM

1,268 posts, read 3,000,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
On one hand you don't trust what is written, and then on the other hand you do...
I dislike the media because they like to create FEAR in people. I think back to when I was a kid and when my dad would ring the "Salvation Army" bell during the holidays at Kmart, we would play with all the toys in the store until he was done. Today, if I were to let my 5 YO play in the toy aisle in Walmart while I bought groceries, I would be handcuffed and arrested for putting him in danger of being abducted.

We played outside for hours a day and came home when we heard the dinner bell. Today, parents have to keep our eyes on our kids at all times to protect them from potential kidnappers.

We never used to lock our doors at home, day or night. Now, we have to get up after going to bed just to double-check to make sure the front door is locked and the security light is on.

Back then, you could have your rifle hanging in the back of your truck in case you saw a wild boar on your way home from school or work. Today, we have to make sure we have our handgun concealed so if a bad guy comes out of the shadows, we can shoot him.

What has happened to change our perceptions? The media. Tv. Internet. The world is no more violent today than it was yesterday, or 20 years ago, or 100 years ago. We just hear about the details now, and see the pictures on the internet and on the news.

Sorry, off topic but I had to vent!

Old 02-23-2011, 02:13 PM

153 posts, read 287,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
A CCW holder can go into establishments that serve alcohol if the establishments primary revenue is not alcohol sales. You can go to Outback or Chili's all day long and eat, you just cant sit at the bar.
This is correct, I wasn't clear enough on my post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area