Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 07:47 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,465,667 times

Advertisements

This is exactly why my Harley is still in the garage on a trickle charge. I took lunch today at the south jetty in Venice before heading over to see a client on the island. As I sat in the car watching the dolphins and old blue hair in an Expedition pulls in next to me and slams into the picnic table moving it about 5 feet and wedging the seat on the table under her front bumper. Then she gets out and looks at me as if to say what the hell is your problem . What if I were sitting on that bench, I would be dead because she still drives and she shouldnt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 11:53 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBXBIKE View Post
Probably the most common motorcycle accident is the left-turner into the motorcycle. The " I didnt see him " is the usual response. Wear, bright colored clothing, helmet and leave your high beam on. And have the mindset that someone is going to turn in front of you. Ride safe.
There you have it. Plus some motorcyclists ride like they have a death wish. And from what I read, it is the most common accident. The car drivers don't seem to see MCs, even with their lights on. Age is no factor. Even young drivers have cut in front of MCs.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:59 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
This is exactly why my Harley is still in the garage on a trickle charge. I took lunch today at the south jetty in Venice before heading over to see a client on the island. As I sat in the car watching the dolphins and old blue hair in an Expedition pulls in next to me and slams into the picnic table moving it about 5 feet and wedging the seat on the table under her front bumper. Then she gets out and looks at me as if to say what the hell is your problem . What if I were sitting on that bench, I would be dead because she still drives and she shouldnt.
How would she get around if someone took her lic away for hitting the picnic table? Are there younger people there who volunteer their time to take the old folks where they have to go? Not all areas of Sarasota and Bradenton are covered by bus routes. Not all oldsters are wealthy enough to pay for cabs. What would THEY do?

BTW, Several of us were almost run over when a man about 30 years old misjudged the distance somehow and ran right over the "bump" and into the front of a White Castle restaurant. Had he been even a few feet over, several of us could have been crippled or dead. Should his lic be pulled?

That may have been the first thing she ever hit with her car.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:43 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
How would she get around if someone took her lic away for hitting the picnic table? Are there younger people there who volunteer their time to take the old folks where they have to go? Not all areas of Sarasota and Bradenton are covered by bus routes. Not all oldsters are wealthy enough to pay for cabs. What would THEY do?

BTW, Several of us were almost run over when a man about 30 years old misjudged the distance somehow and ran right over the "bump" and into the front of a White Castle restaurant. Had he been even a few feet over, several of us could have been crippled or dead. Should his lic be pulled?

The question is "What should they do?". There are a few solutions. The family(adult children) need to step up to the plate and make some decisions.

Take the car away and have them move in with them.

If the senior is alone than they can sell their car and take the 10 or 12K they get for it and use that for cabs or hire someone to drive them to appts. and to the stores.

If they're Medicaid then there are transport services available.

FL has created a huge problem by not testing seniors, and not just seniors but people who have medical conditions.

A woman the other day blacked out in her car and it went into a pond with her and her children. They were rescued by a couple who witnessed it. She admitted to having a medical condition.

I had a friend in CA who at age 45 blacked out and hit a tree. They discovered a brain tumor. He had no previous incidents.

He is OK now, but must get a medical clearance by his doctor every 6 months for the DMV.

The politicians in FL are afraid to offend the elderly population.

So it is up to families and the individual to make a decision to stop driving.

A state that allows 80yr olds to renew their DL over the phone for 8 years isn't going to do anything.

But it is unfair to the rest of us.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:36 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,306,244 times
Quite a few county bus agencies have dial-a-ride systems in place for the handicapped and the elderly.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:27 AM

1,439 posts, read 2,920,693 times
Quote:

SCAT has an excellent program that seniors and handicapped people can use. All they have to do is sign up and call when they need a bus.

And that "thing" may have been the first thing that she hit...but its still called VEHICULAR HOMOCIDE.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:31 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,465,667 times
Quote:

Since driving is a privelage and not a right, I personally dont care how she gets around as long as she is not running people and things over to get there. I agree with Dublin, it is the responsibility of the family. Problem is nobody wants to offend the elderly. I dont want to offend them either, but I dont want to be smashed like a pumpkin either. They need to be tested for vision and reflexes as well. If it takes you 3 minutes to get out of the car and another 4 minutes to close the door and walk to the back of the car, sorry punkin, game over gimme the license. What are we to do cat lady, get picked off one by one by the hoardes of drivers that should not be behind the wheel?

It is ironic how many people want the government to regulate just about everything this life could throw at us in the name of safety and protection of the people, yet nobody wants to regulate safety on the road ways because it will offend a large voting population

Fact is catlady, there are too many senior drivers on the roads that cant even walk, yet they are allowed to endanger us every time they get in the car. Think about it, you have seen the old person get out of a car, barely able to get out and walk into a store, yet they are assumed to have reflexes and reaction times suitable for driving?????? You have a little camper, why dont you drive them around if it worries you so

Old 04-14-2011, 04:41 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,143,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
The question is "What should they do?". There are a few solutions. The family(adult children) need to step up to the plate and make some decisions.

Take the car away and have them move in with them.

If the senior is alone than they can sell their car and take the 10 or 12K they get for it and use that for cabs or hire someone to drive them to appts. and to the stores.

If they're Medicaid then there are transport services available.

FL has created a huge problem by not testing seniors, and not just seniors but people who have medical conditions.

A woman the other day blacked out in her car and it went into a pond with her and her children. They were rescued by a couple who witnessed it. She admitted to having a medical condition.

I had a friend in CA who at age 45 blacked out and hit a tree. They discovered a brain tumor. He had no previous incidents.

He is OK now, but must get a medical clearance by his doctor every 6 months for the DMV.

The politicians in FL are afraid to offend the elderly population.

So it is up to families and the individual to make a decision to stop driving.

A state that allows 80yr olds to renew their DL over the phone for 8 years isn't going to do anything.

But it is unfair to the rest of us.
excellent post. problem is the seniors are here and the family is somewhere else. outta site outta mind

Old 04-14-2011, 08:10 AM

493 posts, read 1,387,009 times
Default Outta site, outta mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinoutofjersey View Post
excellent post. problem is the seniors are here and the family is somewhere else. outta site outta mind

For the large part, that is definite problem. With no family within hundreds, if not thousands of miles away, who is around to help do the right thing.

Agree with OMW, driving is a privelage, not a right! No one should drive impaired, whether it be because of age related or medically related problems. Period!

Old 04-14-2011, 08:50 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,466,255 times
Point is some people need to either give up or have their license taken away as thier driving skills have become impaired. As we age, some of us just loose our reflexes, no point in pretending the person is still capable of operating such a massive machine without putting themself and others in harms way. Same goes for those that have or develop medical issues that would impair thier driving skills.

I know for myself, I lost my night vision after a car accident, that's when I started having to wear glasses for driving. Later, due to other medical issues including siezures, I gave up driving completely. There are some downsides that have come with giving up driving including being ostracized by some of the same people that talk the talk. There are so many inconveniences of not driving, like not being able to get to some wonderful places in the area especially in the later part of the evenings, but I'd rather err on the side of saftey. You really don't want me behind the wheel, really you don't.

Age isn't the main consideration, but it's a big one for some due to reactionary response time in many instances, of course there are other catogories of drivers that should have their licenses pulled, but we're mainly dealing with a specific group for now so no point in getting in a huff over the subject at hand driving while loosing certain motor skills to handle the responsibilies that come with such a huge priviledge.

A couple of weeks ago, I was getting a pedi, the young gal at the salon and I were looking through the window hoping the senior woman, in her car, wasn't going to get in an accident as she didn't seem to know if she was parking or leaving, she had the car door open the whole time as she was driving and just seemed confused to the point that, we for a moment, thought we were going to have to call 911, but the woman finally just got out of the car and went about her day. The ironic thing of this, the young gal doing my pedi, then told me she herself was the ex girlfriend of one of the four kids that were killed in the car accident that's in the news. So the topic of bad drivers are not just geared to the elderly, but this thread is discussing one of a few types of drivers that need to be addressed.

Why anyone would be against regular testing of seniors is beyond me.

Last edited by TRosa; 04-14-2011 at 09:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area