Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 08:07 PM

386 posts, read 1,015,343 times

Advertisements

I think they might be leaving, dying, or whatever. I was driving around for several hours today (on 75 and in SRQ) and there were a few but not an onslaught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 09:16 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,679,007 times
Wow! I think the second "batch" of these things hatched or something. They are back today with a vengance! My house is covered (again) but yesterday, there was barely a single one around all day. We even went ahead & dry vac'd all the dead ones up around the doors & steps. Looks like we'll be doing it again..

Old 05-05-2011, 01:39 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
So they are not just lovers smooching on the beach?
Funny, I was going to post that. You stole my line!

Love bugs are attracted to engine fumes for some strange reason. Baby oil on the front grill and good coat of wax on the car will help a lot. Although my windwshield washer reservoir is always full, I also carry glass cleaner and a squeegee in my trunk. Even when love bugs aren't around, long trips on roads like Alligator Alley can be very buggy at night.

Today they were a lot better, so they seem to be going away. Wish I could say the same for the mosquitoes in my yard.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:44 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
So they are not just lovers smooching on the beach?
Oh, they are smooching alright! It is a good thing they are bugs, or all of Sarasota would be XXX rated!

I just headed north, and after getting by Sarasota, the bugs disappeared. I think they are drawn to SunshineRules - she must be very attractive!!

Old 05-05-2011, 01:57 PM

3,179 posts, read 6,001,502 times
Took me about 6 hrs to clean the boat. Somehow they infiltrated the cabin which was locked and all hatches closed. Thousands of dead lovebugs in the head, beds, storage compartments, engine room, EVERYWHERE!!! Thank gosh they are almost done (until fall anyway!)

Old 05-05-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
Took me about 6 hrs to clean the boat. Somehow they infiltrated the cabin which was locked and all hatches closed. Thousands of dead lovebugs in the head, beds, storage compartments, engine room, EVERYWHERE!!! Thank gosh they are almost done (until fall anyway!)
It has to be that manly deodorant you've been wearing! They attract all those female love bugs!

You should pour beer all over yourself, like I do after my 3rd-4th-5th- 10th, (or something like that), I lose count! Then they don't bother ya! And, if they do, you don't remember the next morning!

Old 05-05-2011, 05:14 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Think of how the love bugs feel! Imagine finding your mate, getting hooked up and just when you're in the mood & getting cozy ~ splat! It makes me very sad sometimes. I mean, when Joe Lovebug goes out for a day at the beach and doesn't come home, does Sally Lovebug wonder "Where's Joe?"

Sorry, but my mind is gone. The owner of this home got a new roof installed Sat before Easter and suddenly every creepy, crawly invertebrate showed up for dinner. He told me to call an exterminator and deduct it from the rent, but by Mon I had already soaked the place in Spectracide. I went to the Univ of FL on Harbor View and they couldn't identify the insects, so I'm waiting for a report. If they're baby roaches (they are very small) I know how to eradicate them, but whatever they are, they're under control for now. I've gone from killing 50 or more a night to 5 or 6.

Between the love bugs, mosquitoes and other annoying pests, including the 2-legged kind, I keep asking myself "Why live in Florida?" I know. Gorgeous sunsets, white sand beaches, no ice or snow in the winter, and I am looking at 2 sandhill cranes right now. Mr. Armadillo just walked by. He's making a real mess of my yard! Oh, I see a couple of bunnies who are also acting like love bugs Must be Spring.http://bestsmileys.com/love1/2.gif (broken link) Sweet!

Old 05-05-2011, 05:30 PM

374 posts, read 945,581 times
The Snopes article is interesting and gives some validation to my memory. Growing up in Safety Harbor and Clearwater in the 1950s and 60s, there were NO love bugs that I can EVER remember. It was in the early 1970s that I first remember seeing them in Lakeland. I admit - that's one thing about Florida that I don't miss. Fortunately, they're not around for long.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:22 AM

haaa haaaa! you are funnier than I am!
They love bugs can be annoying. But in the spring - I kinda envy the ones that don't splat the windshield!

Old 05-06-2011, 06:27 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal chic View Post
Too funny! I can't eat maraschino cherries because they taste like what a palmetto bug smells like after being squashed.
Thanks! How am I ever going to enjoy a Manhattan again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area