Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 08:58 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times

Advertisements

I didn't go to the celebration...just read about it in the paper. But on the Beachhouse thing, I have found that 9 times out of 10 (so to speak), it is good but every once in a while you can get a bad meal there. Many years back, my wife got sick from the food there and it took her a while to go back but we do. Personally, I love going there...love the water, the beach, the breeze....the parking can be a challenge, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 02:49 PM

453 posts, read 1,741,681 times
<<the parking can be a challenge, though. >>

When we go (like, now) I think we've always been able to walk there from where we stay, but they do have that huge lot across the street. This time of year you can park almost anywhere or use the trolley.

Down the road apiece, that Coquina beach area is really something special. Wish we had more of those kind of free beaches here in NJ where you don't have to pay to park or need a badge to use such a great beach.

Rhys

Old 05-16-2011, 10:13 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
It's ashame Sat. turned out to be a crappy weather day -- it was a monsoon that afternoon -- but I heard they just kept on going. I love reading about it in the Islander and other free paper. As for the Beachhouse, I've never had dinner there but it's a great place for apps and drinks (ambience-wise). I did stop yesterday at Skinny's for one of their famous burgers -- it was deeeee-lish!

Old 05-16-2011, 10:18 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
It's ashame Sat. turned out to be a crappy weather day -- it was a monsoon that afternoon -- but I heard they just kept on going. I love reading about it in the Islander and other free paper. As for the Beachhouse, I've never had dinner there but it's a great place for apps and drinks (ambience-wise). I did stop yesterday at Skinny's for one of their famous burgers -- it was deeeee-lish!
My father started and ran/owned the Islander in the 1960's and sold it to the NY Times in 1980. It's still a good paper but not what it used to be. My dad was a dogged reporter.

I remember when the St Pete Times used to give the paper away for free in the 70's on any day the sun didn't shine

On September 1, 1910, The Evening Independent, St. Petersburg's first daily newspaper, initiated its famous "Sunshine Offer." Proclaiming St. Petersburg to be the "Sunshine City," Lew B Brown, editor and owner of The Evening Independent, vowed to give the paper away "absolutely free-without cost or condition-to subscribers and strangers alike...everyday the sun doesn't shine on St. Petersburg." The offer, which remained in force until The Evening Independent merged into the St. Petersburg Times in 1986, attracted national attention, enhancing the city's image as a popular tourist and retirement community. Over this 76-year period, the paper was given away only 296 times!

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM1FEX

Old 05-17-2011, 06:35 AM

453 posts, read 1,741,681 times
While visiting that small museum in Anna Maria, I noticed that they have all of The Islander copies bound in big volumes going WAY back. I pulled one out from the 1960's and enjoyed looking at it for awhile. Made me want to hang around and look at more of them, but right about then the sun came back out.

(Also made me wonder if they've digitized their newspaper history.)

Rhys

Old 05-17-2011, 07:12 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhysNJ View Post
While visiting that small museum in Anna Maria, I noticed that they have all of The Islander copies bound in big volumes going WAY back. I pulled one out from the 1960's and enjoyed looking at it for awhile. Made me want to hang around and look at more of them, but right about then the sun came back out.

(Also made me wonder if they've digitized their newspaper history.)

Rhys
That's cool! I'll have to let my dad know, if he doesn't already know. I remember when they used to photograph a pretty girl on the beach each week and post her in the paper. When I turned 18 I got to be the beach bunny. Haha

As far a I know Bonner Presswood still owns the Islander. They still use some of the things my parents came up with. For instance, the little black bird on the front page that reads "skimming the news". My mom came up with that idea.

Incidentally, my father came back in the early 1980's and started the competition paper The Island Sun, which I believe is still running as well. He sold it after having a heart attack.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:32 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,374 times
We LOVE AMI, and also the Beachhouse. We had escargot which was very good. Of course anything tastes great to me when my toes are in the sand.

Last edited by mrs.cool; 05-17-2011 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-18-2011, 12:52 AM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Wow, that's cool history on the Islander! I will have to check out those little mementoes of your parents when I next get the paper.

Tonight, Skinny's was closed by the time I got there after the sunset, so instead, I got sushi at Ocean Star -- first time there, but had seen someone mention it here. It was excellent! The salmon sashimi was "like butta". I will be sorry to be leaving on Thurs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area