Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 03:48 PM

7 posts, read 68,930 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am getting ready to retire to the Southwest Florida coast and I am looking for an active +55 community that is dog friendly. I have one large dog and one small dog. I have been looking but a lot of them seem to have weight restrictions. I would like to live in a community that has a lot of social events. Looking to buy a used mobile home, maybe a little older and I can fix it up myself. Nice community and nice yard is my first concern (along with the dog friendly issue). Any help you can give me will be very appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 03:54 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,082,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlilly1953 View Post
Hi! I am getting ready to retire to the Southwest Florida coast and I am looking for an active +55 community that is dog friendly. I have one large dog and one small dog. I have been looking but a lot of them seem to have weight restrictions. I would like to live in a community that has a lot of social events. Looking to buy a used mobile home, maybe a little older and I can fix it up myself. Nice community and nice yard is my first concern (along with the dog friendly issue). Any help you can give me will be very appreciated.

It depends a lot on what you can afford. There are a lot of mobile home communities around this area. I have know idea what their policies are relative to allowing dogs, since the homes are closer together than in the single family homes.

Depending on what you can afford, you might be surprised what you can get for your money. Maybe a single family home, made from block isn't as far out of your reach as you might think.

Good Luck! And Welcome to the board.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:57 PM

Thanks for the fast reply. Can't afford too much - I'm thinking around $50,000 at the top end of my budget. I wanted a mobile home community because it sounds like it would be a good idea if you move to a place and don't know anyone. Lots of social stuff to meet people. Lots of activities for an older woman.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:15 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,914,037 times
Granmaile, who posts on here lives in a mobile home park in North Port. She seems to love it there. For the life I me I can't remember the name. You might want to direct message her and ask the name of it.

In North Port you'd have Harbor Cove, Harbor Isles and Holiday Park all in your price range.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:32 PM

113 posts, read 343,109 times
Have you looked into Colony Cove or Terra Siesta in Ellenton??

Old 05-24-2011, 03:41 AM

425 posts, read 1,104,699 times
Default Hi There

Hello to all, and SoFlaGal its La Casa~~~~
yes to the nice person asking about communities,we have a place in La Casa, It is a beautiful park, lots of activities,and there might be something in your price range...
let me tell you this
It is a park where you own the lot underneath. that being said we bought our place that we also own a share of the park, it is a co-op,the mortgage is paid off on the park..
now you can buy a place there but without a share you will be paying 500-600 a month for hoa fee's, if you own a share you will be paying 105 a month.
there are pet friendly areas in the park and that is where we bought ,the thing is they only allow small dogs, 25 lbs and under.but I have seen springer spaniels and a dog next to us that are over that weight.

there is a 24 hr guard, and very quiet
you can take a tour,which we did twice before buying, stop in at the office and they will have someone take you around the park
If you have any questions DM me
there are 4 other parks next to La Casa all are on rt 41, but close to alot of things.
we had someone rent in our park and said that LaCasa was much nicer and the people friendlier than the other parks..
good luck in your search
and again if I can help DM me

Old 05-24-2011, 01:59 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,545,164 times
My parents live in Blue Heron Pines in Punta Gorda, FL. They allow small and large dogs. They just recently accepted large dogs. You can walk your dogs around the park and they also have a pet area to take your pets. There are a lot of people in the community who will dog sit for you while you are gone or even if you just need someome to let them out because you are going on a long day trip.

You can go to www.mhvillage.com and look up communities that fit your critiera. They have sales information, descriptions of the communities, and mobile homes for sale with photos, pricing, etc.

Last edited by TamRE; 05-24-2011 at 02:21 PM..

Old 05-24-2011, 03:51 PM

Thanks TamRE and Grandmallie - there's two places I can plan on visting next year. Grandmallie, in your opinion it would probably be better for me to buy in a place like a coop where the owners own a share because it would keep my monthly costs down, correct? I've been looking at parks all over the Southwest coast and some of the Monthly fees at almost $500 or higher. I guess the property taxes aren't too high out there and I'll check to see if there are any property tax assessments. Has anyone ever tried to remodel an older mobile home?

Old 05-24-2011, 04:26 PM

425 posts, read 1,104,699 times
Default i think there have been some

Tigerlilly I think in our park there are a few that have been done over, ours was built in 1985 so it is up there,If we stay in the one we are at now, eventually we would like to re-side and put new windows in.
The thing with that is you have to meet with the HOA comittee I think to get your renovations oked, there can be strict regulations ,but not horrific.
We did spend a bit more on our place, where as my DH uncle paid 24,000 for his place furnished ,we paid 85,000.
BUT we own a share of the park ,and his uncle I think is paying 600 a month in HOAfees and the places are so close together you could spit into your neighbors window
our place and the others in our park are nicely spaced, La Casa does have a website, I think it is swfllacasa.com but dont quote me, just look up LaCasa Mobile Homes,and it should bring it right up,shows pictures of the park,and you can look at the homes that are for sale..
good luck and like I said dm me if you have anymore questions

Old 05-24-2011, 05:50 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,082,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmallie View Post
Tigerlilly I think in our park there are a few that have been done over, ours was built in 1985 so it is up there,If we stay in the one we are at now, eventually we would like to re-side and put new windows in.
The thing with that is you have to meet with the HOA comittee I think to get your renovations oked, there can be strict regulations ,but not horrific.
We did spend a bit more on our place, where as my DH uncle paid 24,000 for his place furnished ,we paid 85,000.
BUT we own a share of the park ,and his uncle I think is paying 600 a month in HOAfees and the places are so close together you could spit into your neighbors window
our place and the others in our park are nicely spaced, La Casa does have a website, I think it is swfllacasa.com but dont quote me, just look up LaCasa Mobile Homes,and it should bring it right up,shows pictures of the park,and you can look at the homes that are for sale..
good luck and like I said dm me if you have anymore questions
Those HOA fees seem pretty high to me, I think you did a wise thing by buying into the coop.

I have seen some really nice additions and remodeled mobile homes in a park near Bocillia. They are near the water, and they opened one whole end, extended a room on the end, and did some floor to ceiling windows that gave them a fantastic view - very nicely done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area