Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 10:18 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,536,485 times

Advertisements

I'll add a few thoughts.
First, there is an inherent common sense of skepticism when it comes from posts on a forum. People can hide behind a monitor and say almost anything without having to "back up" statements like perhaps they have to do in real life.

The purpose of this forum is to help others, and to be truthful and balanced. That is when the forum is healthiest. No place this side of heaven is perfect. You DO have to add a grain of salt to whatever you read here, as folks who post here do so for many reasons, some not all that honest. For instance, we had one poster awhile back who would post all sorts of untrue, biased stuff because her lover jilted her and she made it her life's purpose to portray the area as a hellhole so it would hurt her Ex's business. Those new to the forum would believe her lies and the result was an unhealthy forum with bad info.

You get all kinds here.....those escaping a bad life somewhere and think Florida is Disneyland and the salvation of all of their troubles. You get some who have lost jobs, etc, and blame it on the state or the area. you get just some who think the world owes them a living, and when their life isn't perfect they will always find the fault anything but their own. Some move away for whatever reason, then spend all of there time bashing where they used to live. Some foolishly spent way too much on property only to be underwater now....and do not see that they need to accept some responsibility for that.

I'll take myself for example. I've lived in NY for years. There are great things about NY, and not so great things. I plan on moving to my Florida home soon. There are great things about that, and not so great things. I do not think Florida is perfect, and I assure you, when I do make the move I will not spend any time bashing on the NY forums.....

Negative posts are fine.....as long as they are truthful and areBACKED UP WITH FACTS. Positive posts are fine.....but they too need to be truthful. Balance is the key. We NEED both. Just be truthful, respectful, and do not have ulterior motives in your posts, and all will be well.

In closing I also think people are more prone to spend time complaining then praising. Some folks are spending all their time ENJOYING their Florida life and do not have time to post about it.

In response to post count, time on the forum, etc.....it is only natural to question newbies. Newbies are totally welcome, but just like in real life when you first meet someone you need to get to know them better before you trust them. Trust is earned over time. Just common sense......

Frank

Old 06-03-2011, 10:41 AM

477 posts, read 987,536 times
Some people are being truthful and some just want to cause trouble. I really don't get the fact on wasting your time on something you "hate" so much...If I don't like something or some place, why would I even waste my time reading those particular boards?? Maybe that's just me, but it seems odd.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:43 AM

18 posts, read 50,048 times
If I come on a forum to get information about a state I may be relocating to, I would want to hear the negative as well as the positive comments, if the negative comment that is being left is about a county that is on this forum where else would they post it but here. People shouldn't have to cover there comments with sprinkles and cherries, they shouldn't be insulting people, but if there talking about just the area they should be able to express that any way they feel like it. there is a way to approach a subject, or give a better delivery to what is being said so that people don't get offended. And when you start going into details about the people of that town calling them names such as rednecks, and other comments I've seen on other post, then that is definitely offensive, and ignorant. But if your making a statement about how you feel about an area, and your not directing it to any one specifically, or trying to antagonize someone, or someones post, and your just making a general statement about how you feel about the actual place, not the people, you should be able to do that no matter how it's worded. If people don't like the negative comments don't acknowledge them, but people are entitled to them.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:48 AM

18 posts, read 50,048 times
faithfulFrank I think that was very well said

Old 06-03-2011, 11:06 AM

477 posts, read 987,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaydeon View Post
If I come on a forum to get information about a state I may be relocating to, I would want to hear the negative as well as the positive comments, if the negative comment that is being left is about a county that is on this forum where else would they post it but here. People shouldn't have to cover there comments with sprinkles and cherries, they shouldn't be insulting people, but if there talking about just the area they should be able to express that any way they feel like it. there is a way to approach a subject, or give a better delivery to what is being said so that people don't get offended. And when you start going into details about the people of that town calling them names such as rednecks, and other comments I've seen on other post, then that is definitely offensive, and ignorant. But if your making a statement about how you feel about an area, and your not directing it to any one specifically, or trying to antagonize someone, or someones post, and your just making a general statement about how you feel about the actual place, not the people, you should be able to do that no matter how it's worded. If people don't like the negative comments don't acknowledge them, but people are entitled to them.
I agree...It's how the comment is spoken that makes all the difference. We chose the area that we live now based on honest opinions from those who know and live in Sarasota. I found out who gave honest opinions pretty quickly. There is no perfect place so one shouldn't expect it. I'm just talking about the ones who like to cause trouble...Now one thing I LOVE about this board is that no one gets upset when someone is asking a question that has been asked and answered hundreds of times prior. People seems to be very kind and willing to help out. Now when I used to frequent the Destin board, some of the "regulars" were sooo mean to anyone new asking certain questions. People asking weather/mother nature questions..."Do you think there will be jellyfish in the water next week when we arrive?" "Well, let me get my crystal ball out and let you know!! What short bus did you fall out of?" There are better ways to answer questions like that...or if you're so bothered by the question, don't answer it at all! These boards are suppose to be helpful, not hurtful..

Old 06-03-2011, 11:08 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,345,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaydeon View Post
Does that not, in turn, make those inclined to reply defensively "entitled to" those posts? Aren't the Westboro Baptist clowns "entitled to" their opinions and expressions? If they are, should they be encouraged?

Again, I have no problem whatsoever with rational, objective commentary (be it positive or negative), but I do have an issue with those posts and posters that are simply vitriolic, and have no use other than to offend. As is human nature, those posts will invariably be met with a response in kind.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:10 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulfrank View Post
i'll add a few thoughts.
First, there is an inherent common sense of skepticism when it comes from posts on a forum. People can hide behind a monitor and say almost anything without having to "back up" statements like perhaps they have to do in real life.

The purpose of this forum is to help others, and to be truthful and balanced. That is when the forum is healthiest. No place this side of heaven is perfect. You do have to add a grain of salt to whatever you read here, as folks who post here do so for many reasons, some not all that honest. For instance, we had one poster awhile back who would post all sorts of untrue, biased stuff because her lover jilted her and she made it her life's purpose to portray the area as a hellhole so it would hurt her ex's business. Those new to the forum would believe her lies and the result was an unhealthy forum with bad info.

You get all kinds here.....those escaping a bad life somewhere and think florida is disneyland and the salvation of all of their troubles. You get some who have lost jobs, etc, and blame it on the state or the area. You get just some who think the world owes them a living, and when their life isn't perfect they will always find the fault anything but their own. Some move away for whatever reason, then spend all of there time bashing where they used to live. Some foolishly spent way too much on property only to be underwater now....and do not see that they need to accept some responsibility for that.

I'll take myself for example. I've lived in ny for years. There are great things about ny, and not so great things. I plan on moving to my florida home soon. There are great things about that, and not so great things. I do not think florida is perfect, and i assure you, when i do make the move i will not spend any time bashing on the ny forums.....

Negative posts are fine.....as long as they are truthful and arebacked up with facts. positive posts are fine.....but they too need to be truthful. Balance is the key. We need both. Just be truthful, respectful, and do not have ulterior motives in your posts, and all will be well.

In closing i also think people are more prone to spend time complaining then praising. Some folks are spending all their time enjoying their florida life and do not have time to post about it.

In response to post count, time on the forum, etc.....it is only natural to question newbies. Newbies are totally welcome, but just like in real life when you first meet someone you need to get to know them better before you trust them. Trust is earned over time. Just common sense......

Frank

[ huge applause !! ]

Old 06-03-2011, 11:24 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,536,485 times
May I just add that if anyone finds a post that is against the Terms of Service that everyone agrees to prior to joining, or a post that is rude, disrespectful, etc, to PLEASE report it. Do not feed into it, etc.

We Mods dispite what some may think cannot read every post 24/7. We rely on reports, so we can quickly deal with it. You report it by clicking the little icon up in the right hand corner of a post.

One needs to realize that we have the responsibility to post truthfully. One may never know how even one post may influence a huge decision. I've heard first hand stories on how just one untruthful hateful comment heard by the right person has influenced where a whole company relocates, etc......

This hit home for me a few days ago. I ran into a person who I did not even remember.....but she remembered me. She told me the story that she met me 22 years ago, and one comment I made to her, (a truthful, positive one), changed the whole direction of her career. She had never forgotten that. I was really taken back by that.

Frank

Old 06-03-2011, 02:31 PM

18 posts, read 35,522 times
Some people object to the Fan Dancer, others object to the Fan.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:29 PM

644 posts, read 1,485,499 times
I personally want a balanced view and to hear both the good and the bad points about Florida. I have been considering moving to Fla. from CT because I love Florida, but "where" is a big decision, as it is a big state. I have travelled all over both coasts and to some parts of central Florida near Orlando.

The forum has been very helpful when I read posts that confirm what I experienced or expected; for instance, that certain areas will be hotter year round than I want, or too touristy or too quiet. The mixed opinions on different areas have often reinforced my own impressions and have been very helpful.

I love a lot of Florida, but don't want to make a mistake and pick the wrong place for me, as so many seem to do when they move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area