Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 12:52 PM

28 posts, read 69,677 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We are considering moving either on or just off the Manatee River such as the Inlets, Waterlefe areas.

How is the Manatee River for navigation, water sports, fishing, etc.? What are the pros and cons?

I realize it is 10-14 miles or so to the bay, which we will do every so often as well.

So, anyone that is a boater of any type, please share your thoughts.

We are considering the Manatee river over rivers such as Alafia River in Gibsonton and Anclote River in Tarpon Springs. If anyone has boated those, how does Manatee compare.

We don't want to be further South then Sarasota, so any Rivers below that we are not looking at.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 09:31 PM

70 posts, read 216,930 times
Regarding water sports, you need to watch out for the alligators. When we lived near it, we saw several alligators. Of course, that applies to all freshwater in Florida.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:41 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmxchuck View Post
Hi All,

We are considering moving either on or just off the Manatee River such as the Inlets, Waterlefe areas.

How is the Manatee River for navigation, water sports, fishing, etc.? What are the pros and cons?

I realize it is 10-14 miles or so to the bay, which we will do every so often as well.

So, anyone that is a boater of any type, please share your thoughts.

We are considering the Manatee river over rivers such as Alafia River in Gibsonton and Anclote River in Tarpon Springs. If anyone has boated those, how does Manatee compare.

We don't want to be further South then Sarasota, so any Rivers below that we are not looking at.

Thanks.

I'm not a boater, so can't speak to that, but as a Florida native I am familiar with all those rivers and IMO, you just can't beat the Manatee. I think it is the most spectacular river of them all, and that you wouldn't go wrong to choose a place on this river. Frankly I would rather live on the Manatee than the bay or Gulf.

Good luck to you.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:50 PM

386 posts, read 1,015,114 times
I'm not a boater but I ride my bike around Waterlefe daily. IMO it's gorgeous.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:58 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,738,350 times
I was going to let others with more experience answer but, since no one else showed up, you are stuck with me! I've only been on the river a few times. Most of my boating was in Sarasota Bay, Tampa Bay, and the Gulf. But, I've been up and down the Braden River and the Manatee River a couple of times. It's been a while, though. I've always been struck by how little the river seems to be used. Once you get east of the I75 bridge, it can shoal up and the nature of the river completely changes. I've been up around Ft. Hamer tubing and that was a beautiful area. It just seems rare to see many boats using the river recreationally except as a way of getting to and from the bay. If you have any specific questions, I'm happy to take a stab at it.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:01 PM

28 posts, read 69,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I was going to let others with more experience answer but, since no one else showed up, you are stuck with me! I've only been on the river a few times. Most of my boating was in Sarasota Bay, Tampa Bay, and the Gulf. But, I've been up and down the Braden River and the Manatee River a couple of times. It's been a while, though. I've always been struck by how little the river seems to be used. Once you get east of the I75 bridge, it can shoal up and the nature of the river completely changes. I've been up around Ft. Hamer tubing and that was a beautiful area. It just seems rare to see many boats using the river recreationally except as a way of getting to and from the bay. If you have any specific questions, I'm happy to take a stab at it.
Thanks to you and others. Really no other specific questions then what I had asked originally. I was kind of hoping more boaters would answer...

Old 06-26-2011, 07:58 AM

1 posts, read 7,789 times
I boat on the Manatee frequently. Fairly good fishing. Boating channel is well-marked and about 15 feet deep, south of I-75. North of the interstate is a bit shallow. Plenty of marinas and places to buy fuel and bait.

From I-75 to the gulf is about 10-12 miles.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:16 AM

3 posts, read 11,547 times
The Manatee is a great place but need to stay near the center and marked channels past the large plant on the north side. anything south of Tarpon point and the bridges is easy as long as you stay in the center third. Good fishing both on the manatee and cutting through the north island cut to terra ceria bay. Both bodies are packed with fish. The mouth of the manatee is tight though with Sholes on both the north and south sides that are .5ft or less in places so no short cuts! follow the channel out and beware of the large flat to the south when entering the intercostal. off the top of my head that's about it , so best of luck.

P.S. the 4th of july fireworks are best viewed by boat west of the 41 bridge.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:56 AM

707 posts, read 1,051,641 times
I'm a boater and I aree with jjoel. The river is fine for a boater and is deep enough once you get past the I-75 bridge. It does get shallow further north so you have to stay in the channel. Homes in the Inlets have an odd situation in that they have to have their boats lifted out of the canals and into the river. There are enough other homes with boat access that don't have this type of annoyance.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:18 AM

3 posts, read 11,547 times
East of I-75 is roughly 5ft in the channel. This charts and markers are good up till Red Fish point then things get fun. Stay in the marked channel and continue up river until you pass the island on the south side. Caution should be used due to a 90 deg right-hand turn staying roughly 15-20 feet from shore. follow the shoreline and the red markers through the Rec area. Avoid going straight up river due to a bar instead leaving the rec area spot a white buoy on the north side past the island and draw a line from the green marker leaving the rec area to it. You will have 5 feet the whole way. Turn up river when 50ish feet from buoy and continue. Once under the power lines you will see an island center of the river with a white sign on the south channel. This is a shallow pass and should be avoided. your best option is to put your bow on the center white buoy till within 50 ft or so then slide up the right (north) side. when passing the island you will see a buoy on the upriver side stay close to it and yes it is close to the island like 15ft. From the white buoy look to the southern shoreline and off your bow you will see a building with two peaks they should be side by side almost lined up. You till see a little bump of 3.5 ft or so then turn up river favoring the southern side ish. This will get you as far as Waterlefe marina. If you need to get any further please let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area