Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 06:26 PM

275 posts, read 715,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ess.ess.ess.esq. View Post
the old saying is largely correct, 'its not the heat, its the HUMIDITY'....in Ohio, for example, you have 8 extremely pleasant months [April through November], with a touch of humidity in August...then 2 'cool' months---[December and March]...and just two rather 'cold' months with average highs in the 30s [january and february]. And yet, truth be told, in January you will be comfortable riding a bike in 25 degrees if you just put on a warm jacket, gloves, and a hat. The problem with Florida humidity for 8 months is that you can't dress for it and be comfortable outside. [perspiration does not evaporate in the tropical humidity, so you are drenched]. To move to Florida you must realize and accept that you are trading 2 months of cold and in exchange, you are getting 8 months of jungle humidity in which it is difficult to engage in any outdoor activity for any period of time. Not to mention the intense glare of the relentless sunshine and its assault on both your eyes and on your skin. Just please understand what you are choosing. Personally, I don't mind the two cold months, I just dress for it. But i can't stand humidity, or getting into a 100 degree car with hot-plate temperature seats and steering wheel. But for those who like heat and humidity most of the year, Florida WILL BE your 'Paradise.'
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorothyfromKansas View Post
Facts from the Weather Channel dispute what you say. Only 4 months of higher heat and humidity.

Average Weather for Sarasota, FL - Temperature and Precipitation
As do I. I lived twenty (20) years in southern Louisiana before moving to Toledo almost eleven (<11) years ago. A warm jacket in 25* in January? Please, get your facts straight! For one thing, riding a bike in a foot or so of snow, or a couple inches of hard packed snow/ice is a recipe for trouble. I don't know what part of Ohio you think you're comparing to, but it's not based on reality.

Given your input on so many "moving" threads today, more than anything else, it reads like you just DO NOT WANT anybody to move to Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 10:11 AM

879 posts, read 1,954,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanner View Post
some folks were complaining today that it's been a hot summer but i expected worse. there is always a nice breeze and we have super duper a/c
well, we HAD super duper A/C. last week and a half we had tempermental "i'll come on when i feel like it" a/c. Now we have NO a/c while we wait for a new motor part :P but... i didn't think a person could live in FL in august without A/C and apparently you can!

Old 08-30-2011, 10:22 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,144,228 times
you can live better in florida with no air in the summer than you can in nj or alot of northern places in the winter with no heat.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:56 PM

182 posts, read 273,084 times
now this is the type of statement that runs rampant through the Sarasota forums...."average temperature in Cleveland is below freezing half the year"------now what universe is THAT describing?

Utterly false (and no source given). The facts?

The daily high in january and february averages just above 32...and people ride bikes and take walks...
december and march are in the 40s...the other 8 months are about the best and mildest weather you'll find on God's green earth. I don't dislike Sarasota....my connection to Sarasota goes back to march, 1960. How far does yours go? Back then it was a beautiful little Southern town with sand in the streets downtown. Today, it is one long over-developed strip-shopping-center that bakes in the sun with no shade, and is filled with transplanted Yankees and real estate agents. Very sad.

But keep the facts straight. And snow? I shovelled the driveway twice last winter. And in 26 years of a daily 50 mile commute downtown, a grand total of two times was the commute affected by snow. Much better than the snowbird-traffic-jams in Sarasota. What folks resent about Sarasotans is that they insist everything about that town is better than everyplace else on earth. Sorry, but it just ain't so...

Old 08-30-2011, 07:12 PM

879 posts, read 1,954,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinoutofjersey View Post
you can live better in florida with no air in the summer than you can in nj or alot of northern places in the winter with no heat.
ooohh my gawd, this is true lol We had no heat for some reason one time when DS was about 3. I remember we were frozen and the house was only 50 inside! But I am happy the a/c is getting fixed tomorrow morning - we wouldn;t want to spend another day like this!

Old 08-30-2011, 07:35 PM

477 posts, read 987,775 times
Our air went out twice this summer...once on the day our family was coming down and I was trying to get the house ready, it was a big cleaning day. That was a doozy....I hope it is fixed for you very soon!

Old 08-31-2011, 10:34 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,146,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krh6609 View Post
I've been home shopping ( long distance ) in Sarasota, from Colorado.
I here all the time about how " terrible" the heat is in the summer there.
So.... I had an opportunity to visit the Keys last week for 6 days and jumped on a plane. Every day was in the low 90's and very sunny. I loved it and never felt hot. I know that it is different because of the breezes, but if I enjoyed that, and could do Key summer weather every day, would I really be that shocked by Sarasota's summer heat. Also, why when driving down from Ft. Lauderdale to KW, did we never have and bugs?
Am I missing something here?
The keys are not Sarasota. We've been hot (95), sticky (humidity high 90's) & sweet (apparently the swarming killer mosquitos think so). If you'd like to experience immediate wetness during the months of June, July, August & September (immediate wetness in Sarasota is the feeling that now that you've dried off, blow dryed your hair, gotten dressed & then walked into a sauna...) then you will think summering in SRQ is the best thing since sliced bread.

We who do, really love it because we can eat, park & have no lines to wait in; also, there's lots of airconditioning if you hang out in the right places.

Can't tell you anything about your drive except you probably missed love bug season or you have a great wax job on your vechicle.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:29 AM

782 posts, read 1,087,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamRE View Post
The summer time in Southwest Florida is the hottest. There are some days with low humidity and the heat really doesn't bother you. When it is humid, you sweat just standing outside. Our area gets gentle breezes from the Gulf, so it makes the heat more bearable than I would say in Central FL or some other states where you are inland. As far as the bugs, we don't get a lot on our car. The only time you get bugs is love bug season. They will totally cover your car even if you just drive down the road.

Here is some information on Southwest Florida weather:
Florida is called the sunshine state for a good reason. The average annual temperature in Southwest Florida is 74 degrees. Temperatures range from the mid 90's in the summer to upper 60's in the winter. In the winter you only need a light jacket in the morning or evening. In the summer the breeze off of the Gulf keeps you comfortable most of the time. It keeps the temperatures from exceeding 100 degrees even during the dog days of summer. Prevailing winds are an easterly average of 12-18mph.

The rainy season is in the summer and early fall. Typically there are rain showers in the late afternoon/evening just in time to cool things down. The average yearly rainfall is approximately 50 inches, with two-thirds occurring from June to September. Frequent lightening and heavy downpours are common during these rainmaking events, but they do not last long. This is also the season for tropical storms and hurricanes. Residents just need to keep a close eye on the weather and developing systems.
Your post is the perfect assessment.

The only thing I could add is the temp extremes are far less in SWFL than northern climates.
I have had the benefit of living in SWFL year round as well as living in New England year round, so I can compare. For me, personally, living year round in SWFL is much easier on the body than up north.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:58 PM

38 posts, read 60,074 times
So I have a sort of odd question on this subject... I have heard that in FL, flip-flops and other casual wear are considered acceptable in the workplace due to the heat. Do you find this to be true? If I were to wear one of those long maxi dresses (strapless) with casual sandals, is that acceptable?

Also, do you have to carry a sweater everywhere you go because of strong AC blasting? In MN, it can get really hot in the summer (hot, humid, FL-like) which I love love love, but everywhere I go has the AC set to 65 and I freeze all day. It's so annoying to have to have a space heater on at work when it's 95 degrees outside. Or have to bring a sweatshirt. It's impossible to dress appropriately here on the hot days in the summer. Do you find this to be commin in FL as well?

One more thing. Is sweat acceptable or frowned upon in FL? I have to assume that people sweat a lot due to the heat. That sweats gotta go somewhere since it isn't being evaporated... so if you have sweat on your clothes, is it less awkward in FL or will people still look at you like you are a freak?

Old 09-02-2011, 01:15 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,085,192 times
The summer is almost gone and I can't remember having a summer with so few days hitting 90+ degrees. It use to be that from June 15 to Sept 15, every day was 92 degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area