Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 06:29 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
I track the foreclosure market very carefully, and do not see the flood gates opening on foreclosures coming on line for a few more months - at least. These take time to go through the system, so it is not going to happen soon, and when it does the banks are going to control the release so that they keep the demand and supply at a more even rate than what happened a year or more ago - at least in SWFL where we are no longer in the top 10 worse housing markets and are recovering quickly.

So, we are past the bottom. Prices are beginning to rise, and the banks (who want to make as much money as anyone else) are not going to let them go as cheaply as they had to a couple years ago.

That said, the market and supply will be a buyers market for a while, but the deals won't be quite as good. And, as the snowbirds and other northerners come here looking for deals prices will continue to rise for the next several months. If these shoppers come down and continue to deplete the supply it won't be till next spring that prices recede much.

BH, are you tracking single family homes or condos, or both?

I'll predict that we could see an uptick in demand for condos in good condition in the $80K to $100K range in good areas, most of which are purchased by cash buyers/snowbirds for vacation homes, or by investors for renting. Maintenance is taken care of, lock and leave with minimum concerns, easy to rent if desired; lower expenses. Opinions ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 07:03 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,091,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
BH, are you tracking single family homes or condos, or both?

I'll predict that we could see an uptick in demand for condos in good condition in the $80K to $100K range in good areas, most of which are purchased by cash buyers/snowbirds for vacation homes, or by investors for renting. Maintenance is taken care of, lock and leave with minimum concerns, easy to rent if desired; lower expenses. Opinions ?
No, I'm not tracking condos. I buy single family homes.

As a follow up to my earlier post, I am speaking about the local SWFL area, and more particularly the Sarasota County area. This area has recovered far more than what is happening nationally, and in some other areas of Florida. This area has recovered significantly from where it was, and the trend continues. More houses may come to market with future forclosures - and they certainly will. However in this area they will be trickled in, and not dumped on the market because they are selling and selling well. So those of you that want to buy, should at least consider what I'm saying, and if your looking you will probably, although reluctantly agree because house prices are climbing here.

When more houses are brought on line they will sell at a good pace. Remember a year ago there were twice as many houses, and they were selling, and the prices stabilized. So there could be a lot more houses hitting the market right now and they would be quickly absorbed.

There will be more houses coming on line. I agree with many of the things that the article noted. The economy is not stronger in a hurry, but it is a lot more stable than it was. The job market is not a lot stronger either. People are still falling further and further behind, and continuing to make lifestyle adjustments. People are coming here and buying though, paying taxes, hiring people, buying services, and the season is about to change where it will get better again too.

There are not a lot of foreclosures in the pipeline for the next few months, I expect that to increase in a several months, but there is not a lot coming for 2-3 months. We here are in a pocket that is not representative of the general news we all here. Remember when buying its all about LOCATION, and that is true during this recovery period here as well.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:35 AM

4,619 posts, read 7,541,245 times
The Sarasota Association of Realtors just released the latest statistics for August and there were several interesting stats regarding the local Sarasota market.

Inventory of properties for sale has been dropping steadily for months and is now at a 10 year low. As of August of this year, there were 4408 properties for sale in Sarasota. Compare that to over 17,000 properties for sale in March of 2007.

I track inventories of single family homes priced under $200,000 and currently we are at 4.7 months of inventory in Sarasota. 6 months of inventory is considered equilibrium. I've noted that the median price of sold homes in several such neighborhoods has come up between 3 and 6% over the past 5 months.

Another interesting statistic is that the number of distress sales (foreclosures and short sales) for August made up 41.2% of the market, but the inventory of distress properties for sale is down to less than 20% of the market.

As to condos in Sarasota, the inventory of condos priced in that $80,000 to $100,000 range is definitely shrinking, although officially the condo inventory overall is at 10.2 months of inventory. Many of the condo communities that had huge numbers of short sales and bank owned listings last winter are now down to a handfull (or less) of units for sale.

The info I am getting from sources is that the banks are taking note of the dwindling inventory and we should not expect a huge "dump" of bank owned properties to come on the market as in the past, but more of a slow, steady stream of properties at closer to current market prices.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
The Sarasota Association of Realtors just released the latest statistics for August and there were several interesting stats regarding the local Sarasota market.

Inventory of properties for sale has been dropping steadily for months and is now at a 10 year low. As of August of this year, there were 4408 properties for sale in Sarasota. Compare that to over 17,000 properties for sale in March of 2007.

I track inventories of single family homes priced under $200,000 and currently we are at 4.7 months of inventory in Sarasota. 6 months of inventory is considered equilibrium. I've noted that the median price of sold homes in several such neighborhoods has come up between 3 and 6% over the past 5 months.

Another interesting statistic is that the number of distress sales (foreclosures and short sales) for August made up 41.2% of the market, but the inventory of distress properties for sale is down to less than 20% of the market.

As to condos in Sarasota, the inventory of condos priced in that $80,000 to $100,000 range is definitely shrinking, although officially the condo inventory overall is at 10.2 months of inventory. Many of the condo communities that had huge numbers of short sales and bank owned listings last winter are now down to a handfull (or less) of units for sale.

The info I am getting from sources is that the banks are taking note of the dwindling inventory and we should not expect a huge "dump" of bank owned properties to come on the market as in the past, but more of a slow, steady stream of properties at closer to current market prices.

Nice post Sunshine, thanks. That sounds good to meeee... now let's see if someone from the Charlotte County Board(s) can post their statistics on inventory and sales and projections for the upcoming season.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:40 AM

782 posts, read 1,087,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdahunt View Post
Just got home from my 4 trip to Florida this year looking for a second home. Prices continue to drop, realtors and banks are pressing harder and harder than ever to get a sell. I'm going to keep holding off until this next tsunami of foreclosures hit, then I'll jump in and pick one or two up.

My cousin who is a property investment expert is telling me that his computer model is predicting another 10-15% drop in home values in the next year.

Computer model. My first thought is; garbage in, garbage out.

R.E. investment programs were also run in 2005; result - buy, buy, buy.

Prices will not drop in this area by 15%, unless there's a major black swan event.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texabama View Post

Prices will not drop in this area by 15%, unless there's a major black swan event.

You are so correct Texabama. Confucius says:

"He who tries to time market big loser."

The smart money buys real estate when the numbers work for their portfolio, period.

Same goes for the stock market.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:53 PM

4,619 posts, read 7,541,245 times
The problem with a lot of these reports is that they are about areas in general, such as SW Florida or Central FL, etc and not specific cities. Sarasota and North Port are actually 2 different real estate markets, as are Lakeland and Orlando.

Real estate is local, and as I said previously in this thread, the inventory of homes for sale in the Sarasota area is dropping month by month, demand is increasing and prices are slowly starting to appreciate as well.

Try finding a nice, move in condition 3 bdrm/2 bath home in Sarasota for under $150,000 and you'll see what I mean about inventory.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:01 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
The problem with a lot of these reports is that they are about areas in general, such as SW Florida or Central FL, etc and not specific cities. Sarasota and North Port are actually 2 different real estate markets, as are Lakeland and Orlando.

Real estate is local, and as I said previously in this thread, the inventory of homes for sale in the Sarasota area is dropping month by month, demand is increasing and prices are slowly starting to appreciate as well.

Try finding a nice, move in condition 3 bdrm/2 bath home in Sarasota for under $150,000 and you'll see what I mean about inventory.
I just did a search and came up with 63 priced between 65K and 150K, many in very, very nice looking shape. Newest was 1990, so if your tied into a 10 year old or newer house, your right, they are not there.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:30 AM

8,284 posts, read 4,671,045 times
Census indicates area's mortgage health is poor | HeraldTribune.com

Old 09-25-2011, 09:50 AM

776 posts, read 1,673,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texabama View Post

True. The numbers have never worked better than now in my 25 years doing this stuff.. Even in the dog days of the early 1990's interest rates were much higher and rents were real low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area