Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2011, 11:21 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,399,588 times

Advertisements

I would like to come down to my Mom's (Bradenton) for a few months in the winter, but I now have a single-family house to think about. I would need someone to check the house to make sure pipes haven't burst, or the sump pump hasn't stopped working, etc. I've only been here a year and don't really want to ask any neighbors to do that, as I don't know them well enough and really don't want them "all up in my business". So I could probably get a relative or friend to swing by occasionally....but then I was thinking about the snow. It snowed a million times here last winter. The neighbors are out first thing in the morning shoveling. I would need someone to do that quickly, so it's not obvious the house is vacant. The friend/relative might not be able to get here, and I sure wouldn't want to ask them to shovel.

Just wondering how others handle this situation, and do you pay people to do this, and how do you find them, etc. Any and all ideas would be welcomed! TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 05:59 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,999,012 times
Definitely pay a snow removal service. They may not always be there bright and early, but who cares as long as it gets done. Especially if you're not there, the plow will have other priorities during a heavy snow storm. If there are any teens in your area, ask if they want a winter job shoveling/snow blowing. Then their parents can make sure it actually gets done and its cheaper than hiring a service.
Regarding a home watcher, I personally would only be comfortable with a VERY good friend or relative stopping in a few weeks. Too many thieves out there...

Old 10-19-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
Definitely pay a snow removal service. They may not always be there bright and early, but who cares as long as it gets done. Especially if you're not there, the plow will have other priorities during a heavy snow storm. If there are any teens in your area, ask if they want a winter job shoveling/snow blowing. Then their parents can make sure it actually gets done and its cheaper than hiring a service.
Regarding a home watcher, I personally would only be comfortable with a VERY good friend or relative stopping in a few weeks. Too many thieves out there...
Well, that's what I was trying to avoid -- "teens". I don't know the kids in this area, and we have had some break-ins, so the last people I want to know my house is vacant is teenagers. Even if THAT teen is trustworthy, they may mention it to someone else, who may mention it to someone else, etc.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:17 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,964 times
You're going to have to hire a guy to plow your driveway anyway, whether you're there or not, right? Or are you one of those do it yourself guys OR someone with a short driveway? (We fit neither of those categories.) :-)

Old 10-19-2011, 11:43 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,999,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Well, that's what I was trying to avoid -- "teens". I don't know the kids in this area, and we have had some break-ins, so the last people I want to know my house is vacant is teenagers. Even if THAT teen is trustworthy, they may mention it to someone else, who may mention it to someone else, etc.
Even a licensed snow removal guy could tell their friends that you're gone just as easily as a teenager could. Unless you just don't tell the company you're leaving. If it's that bad in your area, you should probably get an alarm system for when you're in sunny FL.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:55 AM

My driveway is about the length of three single-file cars (but shovelable), but I also have a fairly long sidewalk area (along the streetside) that MUST be cleared (using a blower or shovel). Some Good Samaritan did it for me last year, but I never did find out who did it. Just wondering how others handle it.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:42 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,545,164 times
My parents used to do 6 months in Syracuse, NY and 6 months in Florida. Now they are full time Florida residents. They had their driveway plowed in the winter and I went over and checked on their interior every couple of weeks. My customers that have homes up north usually have a neighbor check in on their home. That is the easiest way. Neighbor, friend, or relative are your best sources without having to pay someone. In Florida there is a company that does it for you called Home Watch and I know there are others around. Did you check into a company that does home watch services where your home is? They offer different packages and services.

Down here in Florida my parents live in a community where many of the people do 6 months up north and 6 months in Florida. My parents watch their homes in the summer while they are up north. The neighbors usually either give my parents a gift card for dinner or grocery store or they take my parents out to dinner when they come back down.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:09 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,198,847 times
My daughter and SIL live in Ct and have a house in Sarasota. He has an alarm system which will alert him if the house temps drop or there is a flood. I believe he can check it from his laptop while away. The Florida home has been set up with something similar which will alert him if there is a leak or flood. He hires a pool service to clean the pool and has the property set up with gravel so there is no lawn to mow.

I believe everything he has set up can be bought in any store. Nothing fancy but allows him to check on both houses through his computer. I'm not computer savvy so can't be more specific.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:40 PM

Ooh, I like that "computer monitoring" idea. I don't currently have an alarm system but I may just have to investigate them and see what they offer. Thanks for the ideas and suggestions.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:47 PM

96 posts, read 350,253 times
I just installed a wi-fi enabled thermostat for the HVAC system in our house. We can check the indoor temperature at any time from a PC or from my Smartphone. Provides a lot of peace of mind when we are in Florida in the winter. Also, when we travel for a few days we can set the furnace temp way down, then a few hours before we are to arrive back home I call it up on my phone (or PC) and set the temperature back to it's regular setting so our home is comfortable when we arrive back home. It costs only $99 at Home Depot. Requires a little bit of networking smarts to install, but it's not too bad. I installed the whole system in about 5 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area