Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2011, 02:19 PM

2 posts, read 2,464 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about getting a retirement home in Palmer Ranch and love to ride my bicycle around for exercise. Does anyone know if there are any restrictions for riding your bicycle around any of the neighborhoods in Palmer Ranch area. I keep seeing that a lot of neighborhoods boast that they have hiking, walking and rollerblading paths, but they don't mention any biking other than the legacy trail. Are sidewalks and paths okay for bicycles too. I know there's always the road, but I'd rather be in a neighborhood on a path or sidewalk. It makes it sound like the neighborhoods keep walkers and bikers separate. Any info on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 02:50 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,552,117 times
Here are some things I found in my search.

Stoneybrook on Palmer Ranch
Jogging, walking and bicycling are the favored exercise in this community.

Turtle Rock on Palmer Ranch
This community offers activities like a community center together with a beautiful club house, swimming in the community pool, hard surface tennis court, bicycling, basketball, walking, jogging, and even enjoying a leisurely canoe ride.

In some deed restricted communities you cannot ride your bike on the walking path, you have to ride in the road, but you are allowed to ride your bike. Some have a lined off shoulder space on the road for cyclists. I guess it depends on the community, but I am sure you can ride a bike in any community. I have never seen NO bicycling in any of the HOA rules and regulations.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:03 PM

2 posts, read 2,464 times
Thanks everyone for your replies. That was what I was thinking....that's why I prefer to use the sidewalks because it really isn't that safe sharing the road with the cars now-a-days, with people texting and inattentive driving. So many times, I have witnessed cars drifting into the berm of the road. That's why I prefer to use sidewalks or bike paths that don't share with the roads. I ride a lot on paths now where foot traffic and bicyclists share the path and it's so nice as long as everyone is courteous to each other, which normally they are. That's why I really don't want to give up my bike riding in retirement, but want to find a safe great place to keep doing it down south. So, it does sound like Palmer Ranch would be a good place to ride.

Last edited by Keeper; 11-20-2011 at 05:26 AM..

Old 11-20-2011, 12:30 PM

547 posts, read 927,060 times
I ride what most would consider a lot. Cycling is my passion.I commute to work and ride on the weekends. I refuse to ride on the sidewalk as it's dangerous. Saying that, there are roads I avoid. I try to be as safe as I can.
Ken Kifer explains it better than I care to:
Is Cycling Dangerous? -- The Risk of Bicycle Use -- Accidents, Fatalities, Injuries, and Benefits
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area