Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 02:34 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,138,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarynO View Post
I think I have been misunderstood...when the poster mentioned "young people out at night" I assumed he meant the young night clubbers. I was just asking alternatively if kids/children were generally out in the neighborhoods playing etc...This is something I like to see, but where I live up north in the country, you are hard pressed to see kids out playing.
You will see children out in the early morning at school & after school. During the heat of the day in the summer, it's just too hot for kids to be stuck outside in the sun unless they have the swing set in the shade & a pool nearby.

You do see families at the beaches as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 05:02 AM

547 posts, read 926,622 times
Regarding children outside playing: I believe part of it is that we are living in "different times" Our kids spent a great deal outside relatively unsupervised. One constant was be in before dark. Other than that I would spout "stay out of trouble". During the summers hours would go by without seeing or hearing from them. We entrusted our neighborhood to watch over them.
These days I would not allow grandchildren to play outside alone. I went to a local park with a grandchild yesterday. I witnessed a male adult go into the women's bathroom and spend an inordinate amount of time in there. His cohorts were ruminating amongst themselves that he was probably shooting up and sleeping it off. Their language was colorful enough that we had to leave.
Unfortunately our grandkids will never have the outside freedoms their parents did.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:22 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,344,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picshooter View Post
Regarding children outside playing: I believe part of it is that we are living in "different times" Our kids spent a great deal outside relatively unsupervised. One constant was be in before dark. Other than that I would spout "stay out of trouble". During the summers hours would go by without seeing or hearing from them. We entrusted our neighborhood to watch over them.
These days I would not allow grandchildren to play outside alone. I went to a local park with a grandchild yesterday. I witnessed a male adult go into the women's bathroom and spend an inordinate amount of time in there. His cohorts were ruminating amongst themselves that he was probably shooting up and sleeping it off. Their language was colorful enough that we had to leave.
Unfortunately our grandkids will never have the outside freedoms their parents did.
I honestly think it's not so much that things have changed, but that we are made much better aware of them through omnipresent media.

Either way, I would never let my kids roam the streets at night in any neighborhood.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:33 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,141,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picshooter View Post
did you bother to call the sheriff? how would you have felt if something had happened to a little girl in there and all you did was put your tail between your legs and run away? what if your granddaughter was in there and some one else just left. it doesnt take a whole lot of guts to do the right thing. just take a walk away and pull out the cell phone and make a call to tip off the law. at no time did you not think that something was not right about this. like when a male goes in to a female bathroom and doesnt come right out because it was a mistake? when his friends say he was shooting up? at what point would you have thought about contacting law enforcement?

its because of people that dont have the kahunas to get involved that kids cant play outside.

Last edited by gettinoutofjersey; 12-19-2011 at 07:03 AM..

Old 12-19-2011, 09:19 AM

547 posts, read 926,622 times
Safety for children ...and adults is a HUGE priority for me. I work with and am responsible for vulnerable kids everyday. As far as law enforcement. From some of my other posts: My wife and son are both in Local Law Enforcement. I am 100% certain no one was in danger. My first priority at this time was the safety of the child with me.
While I am sure I am not always correct, I did what I thought was best. I did not run away. I did not have a cell phone with me, so I felt it was better I stay to make sure no innocent kids came along while they were there.
I was there long enough to know that there was no one in the women's rest room before he entered. I listened to when he entered for any sounds of an occupant or struggle. I was within 15' ft away at this time. I watched him attempt to go to the mens room first. It appeared to be locked/ broken.He mumbled something and went to the ladies.Giving him the benefit of the doubt, he rode up on a bike. Perhaps he had to go real bad and didn't want to risk exposing himself...even in the bushes. As far as shooting up. I had no idea then or now, nor was it my business what he was doing in there or if in fact they meant him or someone else ( though I assumed it was him) I made some mental notes on appearance and description.
The neighborhood has asked for, and received more LEO presence. I observed these "gentlemen" doing nothing more than using colorful language.
If a deputy would have come by maybe they would have left sooner, maybe not. I removed my G daughter from where she could hear the language, and a way for us to get in public view. We went along a nearby lake and skipped stones until they left.
What do you think I should have done differently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinoutofjersey View Post
did you bother to call the sheriff? how would you have felt if something had happened to a little girl in there and all you did was put your tail between your legs and run away? what if your granddaughter was in there and some one else just left. it doesnt take a whole lot of guts to do the right thing. just take a walk away and pull out the cell phone and make a call to tip off the law. at no time did you not think that something was not right about this. like when a male goes in to a female bathroom and doesnt come right out because it was a mistake? when his friends say he was shooting up? at what point would you have thought about contacting law enforcement?

its because of people that dont have the kahunas to get involved that kids cant play outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area