Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 02:26 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,264,256 times

Advertisements

Hey all- hope everyone had a great new year! Haven't been on much, but I just may start again! As many of you know we have settled into our home, over a year now- sheesh! Now, we don't know much about Palm trees and have been trimming them ourselves...so far so good. One mysteriously up and died quite suddenly a few months ago, not too happy about that! Not sure what happened there as we have others in that area. We don't want to lose them, but the husband is adamant about doing the trimming himself..one of the palm trunks, is losing all it's spiky things ( hah not sure what else to call them..)- the leaves that give them a nice, zig saggy look. They all fell off, just on that one though. Any ideas???? Is this bad? Is the tree dying? Thanks in advance... Miss you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 03:46 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,554,801 times
There are many web sites where you can read how to care for palms. You can also ask someone at a local nursery. They need the right amount of water, fertilizer and proper pruning.
http://www.palm-tree.net/index.html
http://www.florida-palm-trees.com/palm-tree-care-mistakes/

Two of our Christmas palms just turned brown from the frost. The heart of the palms are still green. But it will take almost a year for the brown palm fronds to fall off. I covered my landscaping plants but not the palms. Foxtail palms don’t do very well with frost either. We had them twice before and they died from frost. I always thought I had a green thumb, but when it comes to palms - I need help too. Good luck with yours.

Last edited by TamRE; 01-06-2012 at 03:56 PM..

Old 01-06-2012, 04:08 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,780,012 times
You should not prune anything, trees, palms, shrubs this time of year. Fresh cuts exposed to a frost or even one night freeze will kill. Leave everything alone...even the existing freeze damage...until after Valentines Day. Trust me, I'm a professional.

The only exception is you can dead head your Geraniums all winter.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:01 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,083,605 times
If you do a search for palm tree disease and virus, you will find that a few varieties are susceptible to many problems that have no cure.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:46 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,891,071 times
Thanks for those website links, Tam. I have one in my living room (the best I can do in Wisconsin, other than the one on my ankle) and it's dying as well. I'm hoping to save it long enough to get it back out in the spring.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:06 PM

7 posts, read 35,778 times
When I visited Florida last time, I brought a foot tall windmill palm and planted it here in Ohio. To escape from harsh winter, I covered it with leaves and left a string of Christmas lights in the heap. The lights are on round the clock to provide some heat. It is below 20 today and it has been snowing since morning. I am hoping that it will survive the winter. Don't know until spring.I love palm trees.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:53 AM

547 posts, read 927,332 times
I liked palm trees when we first moved here, but no more for me.We had one for over 30 years that slowly started dying, then went quick. Disease, old age or a combination of the two.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:29 AM

621 posts, read 1,422,665 times
I just purchased a home that has a palm tree in the front yard. It has no leaves but has some little one sprouting out of the trunk.
Someone told me if I cut it back it would grow again, but Im having trouble finding info on how or where to trim it.

Suggestions?????
Thanks!

Old 02-01-2012, 05:39 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,497,010 times
The cross hatch things on the trunk are called boots.

Only trim the brown, crispy, dead fronds. Leave all the fronds that are green, partially green or yellow.

The palm trees use fronds (aka leaves) for food and energy. Each time a new frond grows in the middle, it is using up extra energy from the old fronds. Generally, an old frond will turn brown as the new one shoots up the middle. Then you cut off the brown dead frond.

The problem with cutting those that are still green or yellow....that new frond will still need to suck energy off an old frond so it will instead pick the next oldest frond and turn that one brown(because you took the older frond off too soon that it was going to use). When you trim too often, you end up with a palm tree that has too few fronds. Maybe it has 14 total instead of 20 total. The fronds photosynthesize and give food and energy to the tree. Fewer than normal fronds (from trimming too many) can result in a weaker tree (it's starving), that is more likely to stress or die versus a healthy palm tree that hasn't been trimmed too much.

Last edited by sware2cod; 02-01-2012 at 06:54 AM..

Old 02-01-2012, 05:45 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,897,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
The cross hatch things on the trunk are called boots.

Only trim the brown, crispy, dead fronds. Leave all the fronds that are green, partially green or yellow.

The palm tree use fronds (aka leaves) for food and energy. Each time a new frond grows in the middle, it is using up extra energy from the old fronds. Generally, an old frond will turn brown as the new one shoots up the middle. Then you cut off the brown dead frond.

The problem with cutting those that are still green or yellow....that new frond will still need to suck energy off an old frond so it will instead pick the next oldest frond and turn that one brown(because you took the older frond off too soon that it was going to use). When you trim too often, you end up with a palm tree that has too few fronds. Maybe it has 14 total instead of 20 total. The fronds photosynthesize and give food and energy to the tree. With fewer than normal fronds (from trimming too many) can result in a weeker tree (it's starving), that is more likely to stress or die versus a healthy palm tree that hasn't been trimmed too much.
Good post!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area