Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2012, 08:31 PM

82 posts, read 156,904 times

Advertisements

I just made the permanent move from Ohio to Bradenton last Sunday and I have a couple questions about the area. How do I dispose of several old florescent tubes the previous owner left me? Any pros or cons about Bob's Carpet Mart? I stopped by the store on Manatee to ask about tile and laminate flooring and the guy acted like I was bothering him. One more thing, does anyone have any good suggestions on what to do with a 1980s style recessed florescent lighted kitchen ceiling.
Thanks for any suggestions.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 09:35 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
Hey there, welcome! I've been following your posts and glad you got there safe and sound.

Can't help about the fluorescent bulbs....maybe check the Manatee County website?

I priced some carpet at the Bob's out on 53rd. The guy there was helpful showing me around, and let me take home a couple samples, but I realized they were flimsier than what I have now and were still going to cost over $1700. I then decided to stop at Flooring America on Cortez. As soon as I walked in, I knew I was out of my league. It looked way too upscale. Regardless, I thought perhaps the salesman would show me around a bit. But no -- he told me to go to their cheaper sister store on 41, Georgia Carpet World. I was quite insulted! Anyway, I left to go back up North without making a decision on new carpet -- will probably try a good cleaning first to see if that helps. The carpet itself is not that old, it's just dirty.

The bathrooms of our 1980's condo had a dropped ceiling grid of frosted plastic tiles over fluorescent tube lights. Ugh...I couldn't stand them! I had an electrician take the whole thing down and install regular fixtures over the vanity. My neighbor replaced theirs with regular recessed lights in the ceiling. Not sure I would like that type of overhead lighting (unflattering) in a bathroom, but might be good in the kitchen.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:23 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,550,239 times
Hire a contractor to remove the florescent ceiling and put in a sheetrocked ceiling with recessed lighting. It is done all the time down here and makes the kitchen look so much newer.

Here is the link to the Manatee County Recycling Program - Manatee County Government - Manatee County Recycling Program

The florescent lights are considered hazardous waste here in Charlotte County. We have a designated place we have to take them to.

In Manatee County here is the information:
How do I dispose of my HHW?
Hazardous waste can only be disposed of on sites approved by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
Manatee County has established a Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collection Program.
  • Free at a special collection center at the Landfill. Manatee County’s Landfill is located at 3333 Lena Road, in Bradenton
  • 3rd Saturday of every month from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. as well as additional sites located throughout the County. Schedule of the collections and locations.
  • All hazardous waste collected is chemically treated and properly disposed of in an environmentally safe manner or recycled for energy recovery. Used oil, car batteries, and latex paint are examples of materials that can be recycled.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:06 AM

4,619 posts, read 7,539,060 times
Welcome to Bradenton! I personally have not bought carpet in years, but some neighbors bought theirs from Manasota Flooring on US301. I know it's in south Sarasota, but G. Fried Flooring on Tamiami Trail is well known in our area.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:54 AM

12 posts, read 45,247 times
Hi and welcome to the area. I just moved here from California. I am from Pennsylvania and spent most of my life there. The weather is much better here. I lived in Tampa for about 3 years and now we live in Venice. About 5 minutes to the beach. Can't help with the lights, but wanted to say hi. We moved down here about 2 weeks ago.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:29 PM

222 posts, read 854,906 times
We had this in our villa's kitchen and bathroom and took it down. We installed a light fixture and it looks great.
Also our place had carpet and we hired bob's carpet on 41 in Sarasota to install tiles throughout. They did a nice job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area