Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 03:14 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,191,162 times

Advertisements

This is our first summer here. I've read a lot about lightening here in FL and it seems to be a bit different from what we experience up North. We don't get thunder on really sunny days up North. If you're going to get a thunderstorm, you're going to get the clouds and the whole nine yards. If we hear thunder with the clouds, we wait 30 minutes from the last clap of thunder before going back in the community pool.

I know if you see lightening, get out of the water, sun or no sun. But in the last few weeks, we'll be sitting on the lanai in the sun and hear one clap of thunder, just one. Now if I were in the Gulf, I would get out.

However, do you get out of the community pool or your own pool when the sun is shining and you hear one clap of thunder? If so, how long do you wait until you can return to the water?

If you were at the beach and you hear thunder but don't see lightening, how long do you wait until you can go back in the water (assuming its sunny, not that you can see a storm approaching)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 07:18 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,411,323 times
I used the Y a ways north of you when the condo pool was being renovated. They had a specific protocol for lightning danger; call your local Y and ask them what the rules are for it. They'll tell you. (I just can't remember or I would tell you.)

The Sarasota YMCA

Old 06-01-2015, 07:25 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,191,162 times
Shabotnik- thanks. I've read similar articles about how dangerous it can be. This one indicates at least 30 min after hearing thunder.

Marcopolo- great idea, thanks. I've been to the pool in Venice and it is outside, so you're right they will have rules for outside swimming.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:05 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,555,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
Marcopolo- great idea, thanks. I've been to the pool in Venice and it is outside, so you're right they will have rules for outside swimming.
If you find out, please post?

Old 06-01-2015, 08:17 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Most public pools around here will shut down if lightning is in close proximity.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:20 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,555,064 times
If you can hear it, it can nail you. how long to wait with no reports - dunno

Old 06-01-2015, 08:26 PM

112 posts, read 184,672 times
I seem to recall one of the local weather people saying that lightening can strike 10 miles away from where the storm is. I use to enjoy watching the storm over Punta Gorda from my pool in Rotonda. Now I subscribe to the if you can see or hear it, we're out of the water.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:52 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,106,883 times
Here is a grim story for you. Our landlord is an attorney. His partner was walking on the beach with family on a sunny day. A bolt of lighting shot down the beach horizontally for 3 miles and struck him and killed him.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:29 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,408,487 times
I was wondering about lightning, too, since I'm a relative newbie. I was walking the dogs tonight and saw what I think is called "heat lightning" in the distance (the sky lights up but there is no thunder, it actually can be quite a show). Is this dangerous, especially when it's way far off on the horizon?

Does lightning strike people at night? Sometimes when you're out walking, a storm will come up suddenly. You usually never hear of people (as opposed to trees or buildings) being struck at night; I was just wondering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area