Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 05:36 PM

8,034 posts, read 4,631,899 times

Advertisements

FPL to install 4.5 million 'smart meters' | HeraldTribune.com (click for full article)

"Florida Power and Light plans to install 4.5 million "smart meters" throughout the state, which they say will make their response time to power outages quicker, allow homeowners to track their energy usage, and eliminate the need for human meter-readers.

FPL officials say traditional meters still use the same technology as they did 100 years ago. They say the new meters will bring electricity usage into the modern era.

ABOUT THE METERS

•Energy usage can be tracked hour-by-hour, day-by-day or month-by-month online, allowing users to potentially identify areas where they can reduce their consumption. Customers will get online login information through the mail when the meters are installed. "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 08:17 PM

4,612 posts, read 7,529,570 times
Nice little PR piece by FPL, but I tend to agree with others that there are some additional motives behind the push for smart meters, and those motives tend to mean more cost for consumers, more profits for FPL.

In another article from the Palm Beach Post it is mentioned that with the smart meters FPL can eventually charge more for power usage during designated "peak" periods, they could switch customers over to variable rates.

FPL getting smart on energy use

Mindy Spatt, spokeswoman for the San Francisco-based Utility Reform Network, a consumer advocate, said the time-of-use pricing shifts the electric load but does not reduce it.

"For every consumer who gets a lower bill, someone is getting a higher one. We should be rewarding conservation, rather than rewarding usage whether it is off-peak usage or not," Spatt said.

"In California we have not seen benefits from smart meters anywhere near commensurate with the cost of the meters," Spatt added. "For the meter to be cost-effective, the consumer would need to have a substantially lower bill over a long period of time; otherwise the consumer has gained nothing."

Old 04-24-2012, 06:14 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
The consumer cannot benefit from smart meters. The utilities would not invest so much in the meters and installations unless they expected to recover that expense in a short period of time.
Some of that will be savings from less meter readers, but most is coming from the ratepayers.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:48 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,998,184 times
FPL just announced in an email to customers yesterday that they have requested a rate increase from the state utilities board. I think it will equate to around $6-8/month for "normal usage" customers.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:04 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
And they will get it
Just being tracked like that means they can probably find grow houses fairly easily if they check usage and sq ft from county records
The Amazing Oz pulling strings behind the curtains...

Old 04-24-2012, 09:56 AM

98 posts, read 321,164 times
poof goes more jobs.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:40 PM

42 posts, read 145,583 times
I think it is creepy. I got the email but I am not going to have one installed. My electricity is cheap anyway and I can conserve on my own

Old 05-13-2012, 05:02 AM

547 posts, read 926,307 times
Do any of us really know their reasoning? I could guess at 3

1: They save on meter readers. From employee costs to vehicle costs

2: They can shut off the power remotely. This prevents angry residents from confronting employees.

3: Help prevent the theft of meters / electricity

Old 05-13-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picshooter View Post
Do any of us really know their reasoning? I could guess at 3

1: They save on meter readers. From employee costs to vehicle costs

2: They can shut off the power remotely. This prevents angry residents from confronting employees.

3: Help prevent the theft of meters / electricity
I have read that these new meters do a much better job of picking up low wattage "trickle electricity" (things that might generate only a few watts of usage). I'm talking about an alarm clock, answering machine, electronics on "standby" mode, etc. Apparently the older meters didn't do a very good job of this.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:20 PM

Web fuels angst over new FPL smart meters | HeraldTribune.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area