Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 12:09 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,889,568 times

Advertisements

That's crazy...here in Madison Wisconsin, which is the state capitol, and has a population of 233,000 some we have NO police helicopters. i don't even think Milwaukee has one, with nearly 600,000 people! (AND plenty of crime.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 12:52 PM

142 posts, read 354,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
That's crazy...here in Madison Wisconsin, which is the state capitol, and has a population of 233,000 some we have NO police helicopters. i don't even think Milwaukee has one, with nearly 600,000 people! (AND plenty of crime.)
Maybe milwaukee should get one and possibly control some of that crime.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:42 PM

83 posts, read 178,970 times
Wisconsin gets their choppers for free. Nice.

Police use free copter service - JSOnline

Old 05-27-2012, 08:36 AM

260 posts, read 563,298 times
They have them down here in Lee County. They are out all the time, even for insignificant crimes. It's a great use of our hard earned tax dollars!

Old 05-30-2012, 10:38 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,889,568 times
That article CBX posted is from 3 years ago. I wonder if that organization is still in existence, and is still able to donate their time and helicopters. Interesting.
And, git, you're right, they really do need to control crime in that city. Last year at the State Fair a gang was roaming the grounds and the parking lot as well just randomly beating up people for the crime of being white. It was pretty scary. For the rest of the duration of the fair there was discussion about how to control the comings and goings of that crowd. A solution was never found.
They also had to take the carnival away from the world's largest music festival, Summerfest, a couple of years ago because of all the violence within it at night.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:50 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,143,097 times
i guess there are a ways to look at it. waste of money or a valuable asset when needed. lets say your elderly parent wanders away, which i understand happens often or someone breaks into your house and shoots a family member and is on the run. does that warrant a helicopter? you cant expect a helicopter to sit and only fly on an emergency. nor can you only want a pilot to fly when he is needed, its like any other skill it needs to be practiced.

we used to fly our hueys west out of ft campbell to the first airport that sold coors when it was not available all over. waste of money? on the surface it is, but we still had to fulfill training hours and stay sharp. and we didnt drink any till se got back

Old 05-31-2012, 02:50 PM

83 posts, read 178,970 times
The article was posted 3 yrs ago... I just wanted to point out they have air assets available. If you go to the website, it was updated 5 months ago.

AIR-ONE Emergency Response Coalition

Old 06-14-2013, 06:55 AM

4 posts, read 12,865 times
Default Helicopters and Budgets

The Sarasota County Sheriff's Office financial statements don't break out the costs for different operations but I sure would like to know how much they are spending on these flight operations. As a pilot, I know the expenses for air support operations are tremendous. In today's economy I think air support is only justified in cases where the publics immediate safety is concerned. Searching for grow houses in the middle of the night does not fit this criteria. Where is the Herald Tribunes expose' on this waste?

Old 06-14-2013, 07:08 AM

128 posts, read 264,123 times
If any forum members happen to have a grow-house, uh... please send me a private message.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:08 AM

4 posts, read 12,865 times
I moved down from Atlanta and lived in a suburb much like the south Sarasota area as far as population and demographics. Air support was only used in extreme cases. I'm all for its use in certain situations but not for general patrol or searching for grow houses. Helicopter flights in the Gulf Gate area, day and night, seem to be excessive and have to be outrageous cost wise. What I don't see near enough of is general patrol by mobile units in neighborhoods or badly needed traffic enforcement. Where I lived in ATL you thought real hard about speeding, reckless driving or even running a red light because traffic enforcement was the priority when not answering calls. It worked well in keeping down fatalities. I never read about so many tragic auto/motorcycle accidents on a daily basis until moving here. A little traffic enforcement would go a long way in reducing these fatalities, injuries and subsequently insurance rates in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area