Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 11:16 AM

551 posts, read 2,726,393 times

Advertisements

Can anyone shed their opinions and any other information on the North Port area? I like the overall greater Sarasota area, and I've noticed there are a lot of newer homes (<10 years old) that are priced around the $100k range in North Port. Is this ONLY because of the distance from North Port to Sarasota -- specifically rush hour traffic, avialability of jobs in NP, commercial availability such as restaurants, grocery stores, etc? Or are there other reasons? From what I've read here, Port Charlotte is not exactly what I am looking for -- and I can see that NP is much closer (in distance) to PC than Sarasota.

I've tried searching here but I am not turning up the results I am looking for so far. I've also read a few other posts that mention or include NP info, but I don't want to hijack someone else's thread with my general info req.

Last edited by Master Shake; 03-18-2013 at 11:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 11:57 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,374,769 times
North Port is very close to Port Charlotte, In NP we have a lot of shopping and grocery stores, restaurants not so much but Port Charlotte has them as does Venice which is a little further but not a deal breaker for us. Englewood beaches just about 25 minutes away.

Others will have to answer your question regarding the real estate prices in NP, all I know is we got a great deal on a brand new home and we really could not be happier. We love our neighborhood and our neighbors. It's safe and close enough to everything.

We went to the Sarasota county fair the other day and it only took us about 35 to 40 minutes to get there. Traffic was light so it was a pretty quick trip.

Unless you are on one of the main roads in North Port you won't have city water. It's not a problem for us, there is a little learning curve with the well equipment but it is real nice not having a water bill.

Seems a lot of people are taking a liking to NP, we have new homes going up all over and new people buying existing homes. It may not be for everyone but we are very happy here and glad we decided to make this our home.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:34 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,552,117 times
There are still some homes in North Port around the $100k range built in the 2000's, but those are becoming few and far between. Right now I am showing 9 homes under $100k built 2000 or newer in North Port. Prices are going up in the area. It depends what size of home you are looking for. Most of the single family homes in non-deed restricted areas are on all well and septic. Are you looking to live in a deed-restricted community with a homeowner association fee, or a non-deed restricted area? The deed restricted areas will not have homes in the $100k range.

North Port is starting to grow again. Building permits are up and there is a new strip mall with lots of shopping right in North Port. North Port has two exits/entrances to I-75 for easy access to the north toward the city of Sarasota or toward the south to Ft. Myers. Both are about 45 minutes driving distance. North Port is the southern most city in Sarasota County. It is not nearly as crowded with traffic as Sarasota. But yet, it is not too far of a drive if you want to do things in Sarasota.

North Port has a Sarasota Memorial Emergency room on Toledo Blade. North Port has great schools. North Port has shopping, medical facilities, parks, library, and a lot of activities. It is about 20 minutes to Venice Beach or Englewood Beach. For a shopping mall, restaurants, and about any type of store you would want, it is a short 5-10 minute drive to Port Charlotte.

Here are some North Port links to read more about the area.
City of North Port - North Port, FL : Home
North Port Chamber of Commerce - http://www.northportareachamber.com/
Sarasota County Schools - Sarasota County Schools, Home
North Port Sun Newspaper - www.yoursun.net

Old 03-18-2013, 12:59 PM

697 posts, read 1,170,390 times
Master Shake,

We like it down here. As stated..you'll typically get a newer home for the same price as Sarasota. It's quiet...we sit out back in the lanai and relax. Price and Toledo (2 minutes from our house), has Michelangelo's Pizza (yummy), Buffalo Wing & Things (more yummy), Publix, Liquor Store (glug..glug..glug)...just a nice shopping center. Down the street (8 miles) Home Depot...Panera Bread..etc..etc.

We are happy with our decision

Old 03-18-2013, 01:12 PM

Army chief, sounds like we are neighbors! We are off of North Cranberry.

Oh we love sitting out on the lanai watching the birds and squirrels! That is where the morning coffee is served! We love the buffalo wings and rings too!!

Old 03-18-2013, 01:45 PM

551 posts, read 2,726,393 times
Thx everyone for the quick and detailed replies!

I've done a little more digging and found the housing prices are mostly due to still too much supply/inventory & a lot of forclosures, etc. still in the system.

I've also read a little about some of the local government 'mis-management' (for lack of a better work).

For the locals, how much of this is still a big issue for North Port? Also, what is the school system like?

Old 03-18-2013, 01:54 PM

The mis-management really isn't noticed to be honest. The last election I believe some new blood was voted in. Yes there are still foreclosed homes that are still sitting empty but the lawns are cut and my those people are quiet! . More and more of the vacant homes are being sold and becoming occupied

I don't have children but from what I have heard the schools are good. I'm sure others will elaborate.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:03 PM

MasterShake,

Most schools are excellent...Sarasota County has typically A-B Rated schools. Charlotte County has some good schools also. My son will be going to Woodland Middle next year. It's well rated and fairly new.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:01 PM

4,619 posts, read 7,541,245 times
There have been a couple of lively discussions recently about North Port on the c-d forum, which you may want to go back and read, you will find a lot of information both pro and con.

I would not be so quick to gloss over the financial issues facing North Port. There have been articles in the Sarasota paper about North Port government's struggles with budgets vs needs of the community for services such as fire, police, trash service and road repairs. Reuters put out a very in depth, informative article April of 2012 analyzing North Port's financial outlook. The article stated that Fitch had downgraded North Port's credit rating because the city has had 6 straight years of deficit operations, using reserves to make up the budget deficits. The city was facing major infrastructure needs (including a referendum for $46 million for road repairs), pension funding issues and service needs. The article also mentions that the wealth levels of North Port are below the state average and unemployment levels are above the state average.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/17/idUS223673+17-Apr-2012+BW20120417

No one city or town is perfect for everyone. But it makes sense to gather as much information about an area/city as possible so that you can make a decision about where you wish to live next based on knowledge. If you are uncertain and can do so, it may be best to rent in the town or community you like and see if it actually meets your family's needs.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
There have been a couple of lively discussions recently about North Port on the c-d forum, which you may want to go back and read, you will find a lot of information both pro and con.
Define lively?....I agree the poster should read as much as he can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
I would not be so quick to gloss over the financial issues facing North Port. There have been articles in the Sarasota paper about North Port government's struggles with budgets vs needs of the community for services such as fire, police, trash service and road repairs. Reuters put out a very in depth, informative article April of 2012 analyzing North Port's financial outlook. The article stated that Fitch had downgraded North Port's credit rating because the city has had 6 straight years of deficit operations, using reserves to make up the budget deficits. The city was facing major infrastructure needs (including a referendum for $46 million for road repairs), pension funding issues and service needs. The article also mentions that the wealth levels of North Port are below the state average and unemployment levels are above the state average.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/17/idUS223673+17-Apr-2012+BW20120417
That's a almost 1 year old article. A quick Google search brings up Sarasota budget issues (some newer).

Wow, how about this one..get rid of the police?..that will help the crime up there.
The point is..as many concerns in regards to crime, city government & budgets....we can find similar in Sarasota. The "Wealth" level being lower..well "duh".....You have to make more money to afford to live in Sarasota...so you think lower income people will be up there?...We'll..maybe if you count the homeless/pan handlers around the city vs North Port.

Smarter financially minded people might prefer to have a lower cost of living and drive the extra 20 minutes or so to work than pay to live up there (before anyone jumps on the 20 minute comment...living in Sarasota, the person might live closer to the interstate and have just as much traffic going west to the city. We all know it can take 40 minutes to get to Sarasota from North Port). However, that is a decision left to the buyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area