Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 06:30 AM

51 posts, read 80,199 times

Advertisements

Wow army chief! We are in Ooltewah... So we were neighbors and might be again! My husband works in manufacturing now and we know its going to be difficult to find him a job. Should we focus on a different area or is there any industry there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 08:52 AM

4,621 posts, read 7,545,116 times
You won't find manufacturing jobs in North Port, very few in Sarasota either. For manufacturing jobs in our area, your best option is Bradenton /Manatee county as there are a number of companies there. Venice does have Tervis Tumblers, which is expanding their plant.

Last edited by Sunshine Rules; 06-22-2013 at 09:11 AM..

Old 06-22-2013, 09:14 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,554,801 times
Here are some places for your husband to try for employment.

Cheney Brothers is coming to Punta Gorda, FL - Locations

There is a Walmart Distribution Center in Desoto County, FL

There is a King Plastic manufacturing plant in North Port - King Plastic Corporation | Manufacturer of Polymer Sheets, Slabs and Massive Shapes

Tervis Tumbler plant in Nokomis - Free Shipping at Tervis with Largest Selection and Fast Delivery

PGT Industries in Venice - PGT Industries | Custom Windows, Doors and Enclosure Systems

Arcadia Aerospace Industries - Solutions For Inspection, Engineering, Quality & Special Process Manufacturing

Old 06-22-2013, 09:32 AM

51 posts, read 80,199 times
I was afraid of that. We are going to look in all areas next weekend, and if we find that "perfect place", all the areas are pretty close enough to make that drive...of course, it is HIM driving and not me. I work from home and only have to pack up my laptop and fax machine. My company will set me up with all the proper phone and internet lines when I get down there. They only allow 1 move a yr though so that is why I don't want to try to rent first. We are almost priced completely out of Sarasota now and after another yr, we may be priced out of all the areas the way things are going up in value. With a min down pmt, our realtor told us we would probably only be able to qualify for FHA so all short sales and foreclosures are not even an option. We were told that unless we had a large down pmt and all our closing costs, we won't be able to get anything but a straight FHA sale. That severely limits us, especially when we are hands-on people that wouldn't mind a big fixer upper to save money.
There are so many variables and ifs and ands...but I know it is worth it. I can't wait to be there!!!

Old 06-22-2013, 09:55 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,554,801 times
There are FHA Renovation Loans if you find something that needs repairs.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:41 AM

4,621 posts, read 7,545,116 times
Actually you are a candidate for some REOs - Fannie Mae requires a "first look" time period at the start of the listing (15 days) in which the only offers they will consider are from buyers looking to owner occupy. They also usually offer financing thru the homepath program. If you go to their website, homepath.com you can read up on the loan program and see what homes are currently available in our area under the first look program.

As to jobs, here are a couple of links to info on Manatee manufacturing jobs:
As I mentioned in a previous post on this thread, you may want to check into some of the less expensive new construction being built in the Parrish - Ellenton area. It too is rural, but less commute to the majority of the job base in our area. Most of the builders do have financing available thru various lenders, you may be able to qualify thru one of them to purchase a new construction home from a builder.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:24 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,143,900 times
stick you what you want. i would take north port over sarasota any day. its like night and day. i dread trips up to sarasota.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:24 PM

597 posts, read 1,443,879 times
I don't want to offend anyone but IMHO, NP is just too far out and it has filled up with renters. There is good and bad but when the market turned, there were plenty of homes that turned into rental properties and lots of undesirables moved in. Be very, very careful of where you buy in NP. Ask your realtor to find out who the neighbors are and are they renters? What homes around the home are in some stage of foreclosure?

If the prices seem more bang for your buck, you might want to really look into "WHY".

The "hot" area now and coming up soon is going to be Lakewood Ranch, University Park, and developments off 64. (Heritage Harbor and Greyhawk Landing) Reason being the new mall is being built in the area and in Manatee there is Lecom College which has a Osteopathic Medical School, Dental School, Pharmacy School and soon will be opening a law school and the Sports Center, IMG, etc. The World Championship rowing will be (probably) coming to the area also. You can buy condo's under $100K and homes in the 17+ Million dollar price range. It is a much safer investment then North Port.

Before you invest in real estate, take a look at who is investing in shopping centers. If it is some fly by night developer, you can easily end up with a vacant plaza. They are all over Florida. In University Benderson had developed most of the commerical properties and they are very successful and they set the bar to create successful urban development.

I am not affiliated with Benderson but I just know before Invest in properties, I always pay attention to who is the commerical builders in the area.

I'm not saying don't look in NP, I'm just saying before you sign on that dotted line, go to LWR/University area with a Realtor and see what is available.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:33 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,375,749 times
There are renters in EVERY area. We have a few homes on our street that are occupied by renters, there isn't a problem with ANY of them. No undesirables that I've seen either. Also don't see homeless wandering our neighborhood wanting handouts either. Just sayin. Sarasota isn't what everyone is looking for, I certainly wasnt. I have family that lives in the meadows in Sarasota and they love it, I don't. Different strokes for different folks don't you think? Personally you couldn't give me a home in Sarasota, I just don't like it.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:48 PM

597 posts, read 1,443,879 times
NP Homeowner, you are right, everyone likes something different. Some people like rural areas and others don't. You wouldn't live in Sarasota and I wouldn't live in North Port. So that proves that we who do live in Florida need to make sure that both sides of NP are revealed to people who are reading on this forum.

It is not good if people from another state are only reading that NP is awsome, super nice people, etc. They need to be informed of other people's opinion.

The city has no hotels, no parks, very limited shopping, and the city government is backwards and heavy handed and a drug problem. From what I saw when I went down to look for investments, it has turned into a welfare city as low income have moved in . I actually saw a guy in broad daylight make a drug deal in the driveway and he could care less that I was in the driveway next door. I know drugs are everywhere but NP does have more drug problems as does Cape Coral. Look around and many of the homes are rented out or have been left vacant and uncared for. That is not a prescription for security for home values.

Sarasota has issues too but, to me, nothing like North Port. If you say to someone " Oh I live in North Port", no one would think "Wow, nice area". That is telling. So when looking for places to invest your money, I wouldn't buy in a place that already comes with a reputation. I am sure there are nice areas but I just think readers need to know do not attempt to buy in NP without a Realtor who knows the area and they could guild a buyer to stay away from the less desirable areas.

NPHomeowner, you are lucky you are on a good street and I am glad you enjoy your town. I am not intending to insult or offend anyone. I just want readers to go in with their eyes wide open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area