Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 09:06 AM

67 posts, read 100,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by higelj2 View Post
The reason I ask is because we are seasonal and can turn the dish TV off for 6 months and thought if the dishnet service would work, they would be able to turn it on and off with the TV service.....just wondered if anybody had it and their thoughts. Jeff
We have DISH for our RV. No contract, start and stop when we want. Pay by the month. We have 'America's Top 120'. About $42/mo. As others have mentioned, you do need a clear, unobstructed view of the southern sky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 06:27 PM

108 posts, read 272,800 times
I have dish tv....I talking about dish net internet service.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:09 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
You can get a mobile hotspot which is a little device that gives you internet service via cell phone towers. It's (the device) called a mobile hotspot and some sell air cards. Air cards plug into the pc via USB and dont need recharging where hotspots are stand alone small devices that need recharging and can last a coupe hrs between charges.

I had a hotspot and it's a hassle to keep charged. You end up plugging it in at all times but then are limited of where it can be used in the house. Because it's cell service, sometimes you want to be nearest a window. That's why I like the aircard better, becaue it plugs into PC USB and uses the PC power. But air cards are being phased out and most places are only selling hotspots. Which is a shame, IMO. Hot spots allow more than one PC to use the service, which is why they are becoming the norm over aircards which are for one PC.

About the service...There are a couple carriers that allow you to purchase this via no contract. You either pay for a limited amt of GB and once they expire you get more...OR...you pay ahead by the month. No contract, pay ahead.

You can take this device anywhere you go as long as it gets cell service with that carrier.

Walmart sells one called "Internet on the Go". It is $40 or so for 4GB with no expire date. It's approx $80 for the device itself. It uses sprint network I am pretty sure. wamart also sells 2-3 other brands of no contract/prepaid mobile hotspots , but Internet On the Go is ONLY sold at Walmart.

This is a good alternative if you are looking for no contract internet service.

WARNING...some carriers/devices are contract...just like cell phone service. When shopping you must check "no contract " aka prepaid if you dont want to sign up and agree to a long term agreement . Otherwise there are contract services where you sign up for 2 year plans.

Last edited by sware2cod; 07-01-2013 at 05:18 AM..

Old 07-04-2013, 04:33 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,106,394 times
Is Verizon FIOS available in Sarasota--specifically southside village?

Old 07-04-2013, 06:26 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,374,769 times
I don't know but if you go their website they have a section where you can input the address and they will tell you if it's available.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:47 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,106,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nphomeowner View Post
I don't know but if you go their website they have a section where you can input the address and they will tell you if it's available.
Way cool. Thanks for the tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area