Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 01:11 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,346,737 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I'm moving back to Sarasota (Manatee County/Sarasota County border off of University). It looks like there's over a dozen thrift stores in the area! I frequent the Salvation Army store where I live now, because Goodwill is damn near the same price as Wal-Mart for things. Yet where I lived before that, Goodwill was awesome. So, since locations vary, here's my question:

What thrift stores in Sarasota & Bradenton have the best deals and the best merchandise?

Thanks!!

Ben
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 02:25 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,811 times
Even though Goodwill can get pricey I think their prices are about the best in the area. Some of the thrift stores around just have disgusting junk in them for high prices - I mean things that I would not even want in my house. Who do they think will buy them? I go to thrift stores because I think older items that were good quality to begin with will be better than buying Walmart items - sometimes the prices just baffle me.

I would also like to know if there are any good thrifts in this area - I have not found one yet.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:02 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
it all depends on where you go and what you want
we went to a big new GoodWill store in Englewood on 41 just south of Venice
and while the store was huge and there was lot of stuff in it--mainly clothing though--
the furniture and other items you might want like cooking utensils or dishes were pitiful...

we had good luck at the Elephant's Trunk which is across from the Venice Hospital and run by hospital volunteers
got a nice vintage 5 pc MCM dining set for less than $100 last time we were there

someone we know got a really nice semi-antique chest/bureau at used furniture store in the Burns Ct area in Sarasota...

check Craigslist -- we got a nice rattan sideboard in excellent shape for a fair price
and bought a glass door cabinet to use on our lanai at a second hand store on 41 in Englewood...Cindy's Consignment I think was name...
not to say that any of that was for $4...so cheap is in the eye of the beholder...
I am usually looking for something in good shape/good quality at a fair price
and we aren't into vintage clothing which drives some people's Goodwill shopping...

run a search here for Thrift or second hand stores
I asked that question a while ago and got lot of specific responses...

Old 08-21-2013, 09:28 PM

137 posts, read 331,020 times
i'm partial to the suncoast humane society stores....at least, your dollars go to help a good cause.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:13 AM

3 posts, read 9,401 times
Goodwill has the best stuff in general. There is a boutique on Clark Road that sells higher end clothing and art. They have a couple of bookstores that are really nice and well organized. There is a map that has all of the Goodwill stores, clearance centers and bargain barn on it. At least Goodwill has a pricing structure (i.e. all pants are $3.99, etc)
There is a big Goodwill on Honore and 17th. In that same shopping center there is another boutique, LauraJeans. Good luck and welcome to the area.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:59 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,811 times
The North Port Goodwill is not bad - very large and a lot of furniture, housewares, bikes, toys, not just clothes

Old 08-22-2013, 10:05 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,974,030 times
I have no idea why anyone would say Goodwill is Walmart prices. I buy jeans for 4 bucks and shirts for 3 that are new. Books are 2 bucks. What do you want to be shot with a gold bullet?

Old 08-23-2013, 07:15 AM

14 posts, read 35,841 times
Everything is rising their prices these days. You should check out "Salvation Army's" and "restore habitat for humanity" There's a couple of different ones throughout Sarasota and Bradenton.
BUT... even better than those....
GO GARAGE SALEING. Oh you want to talk about fun? You can get some of the best things from garage sales in Sarasota and Bradenton. I love it!

Old 08-23-2013, 08:35 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
The Pines on Orange Ave. has some good stuff from time to time. There is a new huge Goodwill on north Trail, lots of good clothing, sometimes furniture. For furniture, try the Habitat ReStores stores - there are about three in the Bradenton/Sarasota area. I have found some good stuff there.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:45 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,346,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
I have no idea why anyone would say Goodwill is Walmart prices. I buy jeans for 4 bucks and shirts for 3 that are new. Books are 2 bucks. What do you want to be shot with a gold bullet?
Goodwill here in Ohio where I currently am is Wal-Mart prices. They have jeans for $10 to $20 each. I kid you not! I've yet to see a couch there for under $150.

Yet the Salvation Army store on Wednesday gives you a 30 gallon trash bag and you can FILL it for $5! That's like $0.10/item of clothing! A queen sized bed with frame and box spring for $40.

In contrast, in North Carolina where I lived before the Goodwill store there was FANTASTIC! Seems pricing is certainly regional.....

.....which is why I made this thread to find out the skinny on the stores in Manatee/Sarasota. I didnt thrift store shop until I left the Florida, so I didnt have any idea what was good and what was bad here yet.

Thanks to everyone who has posted too, and thanks to everyone who still has yet to post that will!

Ben
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area