Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 03:12 PM

8,241 posts, read 4,660,305 times

Advertisements

I was surprised when I read this article (see link below) about how 'loose' the Florida law is about letting anyone fire a gun in their yard. According to the article it is illegal for a city or county government to enact laws/rules about shooting guns (that try to supercede the Florida state law). The state law is the wholly grail and has been in effect since 1987.

It's kind of scarey IMO - and then there is also the noise issue. I've been hearing popping/banging noises in the evening and I don't know whether it's firecrackers or somebody shooting off a gun. Either way it's very annoying - but I didn't bother trying to call the police because I figured it was probably firecrackers - and the call wouldn't do any good. Who knows.....

NEW: Fla. law allows backyard shooting ranges | HeraldTribune.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 06:02 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,654,771 times
Thats ridiculously lax, that is a disaster waiting to happen.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:29 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,076,689 times
Now that the H-T has let everyone know about this absurd law, guess what your neighbor will be doing very soon.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:23 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,188,935 times
I wonder if the law that Gov. Scott signed in 2011 also applies to deed restricted communities? Can an HOA stop a homeowner from creating a shooting range in his backyard? Many of the lots in an HOA aren't even a quarter of an acre.

"Gov. Rick Scott signed the law that now makes anyone who creates or upholds local gun ordinances subject to fines of up to $5,000. They also can be removed from office and forced to pay their own legal bills if sued over local gun ordinances."

Sounds like Gov. Scott is either bought and paid for by the NRA or an idiot.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
I wonder if the law that Gov. Scott signed in 2011 also applies to deed restricted communities? Can an HOA stop a homeowner from creating a shooting range in his backyard? Many of the lots in an HOA aren't even a quarter of an acre.

"Gov. Rick Scott signed the law that now makes anyone who creates or upholds local gun ordinances subject to fines of up to $5,000. They also can be removed from office and forced to pay their own legal bills if sued over local gun ordinances."

Sounds like Gov. Scott is either bought and paid for by the NRA or an idiot.
Totally agree that Gov. Scott sounds like an idiot. How did he ever get to be governor?

Old 02-02-2014, 04:10 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
Totally agree that Gov. Scott sounds like an idiot. How did he ever get to be governor?
I don't know if Scott is an idiot or not but I do know that he didn't make backyard ranges legal as some people seem to believe. The law that makes it illegal to shoot over a right of way, an occupied building, etc. and which also has no penalty in it for shooting within the confines of one's own property has been around for years and those were years before Scott came along. The problem was that the state law was being ignored and local governments were doing their own thing....that's a no-no and the law Scott signed only says the law is the law and any local government that refuses to follow state law is going to pay. I don't have a problem with that because that is the way it's supposed to be.

If you don't like the law, get on your local representative. I tried, and I didn't even receive a response. Oh, by the way, if you don't like Scott anyway, the expected opposition <Crist the weasel> took the same position back in 2005 that state law trumps any right of a local government to supersede the law even if it is the locality's best interest.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:55 PM

The Florida legislature seems to have some 'backwoods mentality' about how important people's so called 'freedoms' are.

In the following article (see link below) it explains how exceedingly difficult it was to pass any kind of law banning texting while driving in Florida. Even now there are 41 states that ban texting while driving - and Florida is one of only four states that limits texting & driving to be only a secondary offense.

You cannot be pulled over by law enforcement (in FL) for texting & driving without any other reason to pull you over. And even then the fine is only $30. What a joke. And as far as firing a gun recklessly in one's yard - that is only a misdemeanor.

In general I think there is a better chance of getting the gun law modified with a democratic governor. Not saying Crist is the greatest - but previously when he was governor of Florida that was as a republican. This time he is running as a democrat.

Texting while driving illegal in Florida starting Tuesday | www.palmbeachpost.com

From the above link:

"The House insisted on including a provision making a motorist’s cellphone records available to prosecutors only in crashes resulting in death or injury. Critics said the change will make it difficult to routinely prove that an offender was texting, except in serious accidents."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow what crackdown - That good-old-boy Florida house of representatives sure doesn't want to appear to be coming down as violating drivers 'freedom & rights' to text & drive.

Totally backwards thinking.......

Last edited by wondermint2; 02-02-2014 at 06:10 PM..

Old 02-03-2014, 06:52 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,142,162 times
i think the reactions to this article are pretty silly. regardless of the law the sheriff can, if called, respond and if it is unsafe he can put a stop to it. also, noise laws still apply. i have a 12 ft high berm built to stop any thing from leaving my property. we only shoot during the day so as not to disturb my neighbors. and so far they do the same.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:05 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
I guess some properties lend themselves more to being a shooting range than others. If my Mom and Dads next door neighbor started firing his guns on a regular basis we are close enough that it would be a major annoyance, if he was a mile away the noise wouldnt be a problem but i would ask the cops to make sure he was using a proper back stop.
I guess if your neighbor does start firing his guns next door you certainly dont want to make an issue out of it because if you get into an argument about it he may feel threatened and in Fla if you feel threatened ....

Old 02-07-2014, 06:38 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,170,027 times
I think the quickest way to get the law overturned would be for everyone to put a gun range in their front/back yard. Noise ordinances don't matter, neither does anything else. Until the state passes a law against it, there is nothing to stop it.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area