Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 11:25 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,679,440 times

Advertisements

Countdown to mass exodus:

26 days, 10 hours & 34 minutes

whoot whoot!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 11:38 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Yesterday I drove on I-75 and I-85 through Atlanta Sunday and kept thinking "Well, it's rush hour. That's why there's so much traffic." I forgot it was Sunday.
And many Georgians complain about Atlanta traffic also - as well as traffic in the suburbs and exurbs. Many peope moved farther out into the GA country to avoid the daily grind of crowds/traffic as things got worse over the years. Some moved from metro Atlanta to others states/metro areas due to the traffic.

I think you will see some SW FL snowbirds start deciding to winter in other areas if the traffic/crowds continue to increase year after year. It's frustrating for them too. Especially if they have been coming to the area for many years and they know what it used to be, even during 'season'.

I guess it's a never ending movement of humans...leaving areas for many reasons...traffic, crime, high taxes, jobs, etc.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:29 AM

132 posts, read 152,997 times
Ok ... so I've been in Sarasota for the past 4 days (staying by the airport) and have been trying to find this horrible traffic that some people have been complaining about. Really??? My traffic at home in Albany, NY is definitely much much worse. Have picked all parts of the day - morning rush hour - afternoon - evening rush hour and it really is all relative.

To us, not bad at all.

Loving the area!!! I really expected a lot worse because of the some of the posts and was looking for the highway that is a "traffic lot"??? For our little taste during some of the high season ... not bad at all. It really is all a matter of what you are accustomed to.

The one thing I notice here is some people don't really like blinkers ... but I do find there is not a lot of shuffling around in lanes. Didn't mean to hijack this ... just had to visit the thread again and reread to make sure I understood. I expected a lot worse.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:02 AM

220 posts, read 270,043 times
Turn Signals were a option on cars sold in the south if you catch my drift.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:13 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,345,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkygrl View Post
Ok ... so I've been in Sarasota for the past 4 days (staying by the airport) and have been trying to find this horrible traffic that some people have been complaining about. Really??? My traffic at home in Albany, NY is definitely much much worse. Have picked all parts of the day - morning rush hour - afternoon - evening rush hour and it really is all relative.

To us, not bad at all.

Loving the area!!! I really expected a lot worse because of the some of the posts and was looking for the highway that is a "traffic lot"??? For our little taste during some of the high season ... not bad at all. It really is all a matter of what you are accustomed to.

The one thing I notice here is some people don't really like blinkers ... but I do find there is not a lot of shuffling around in lanes. Didn't mean to hijack this ... just had to visit the thread again and reread to make sure I understood. I expected a lot worse.
Nothing that agrees with my point of view could ever be called a hijack.

Carry on!

Old 03-28-2014, 09:41 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,105,720 times
Quote:
Ok ... so I've been in Sarasota for the past 4 days (staying by the airport) and have been trying to find this horrible traffic that some people have been complaining about. Really??? Have picked all parts of the day - morning rush hour - afternoon - evening rush hour and it really is all relative.

To us, not bad at all.

Loving the area!!! I really expected a lot worse because of the some of the posts and was looking for the highway that is a "traffic lot"??? .
There are others of us who have hunted and not seen it either. Some of us even suspect it is a mythical creature. It is sort of like the Loch Ness monster. There have been multiple sitings (and by credible sources), but all in a narrow area. In this case it is the keys and the bridges to the keys.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:39 PM

132 posts, read 152,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
There are others of us who have hunted and not seen it either. Some of us even suspect it is a mythical creature. It is sort of like the Loch Ness monster. There have been multiple sitings (and by credible sources), but all in a narrow area. In this case it is the keys and the bridges to the keys.
Oh ... I really must have missed him!

Old 03-30-2014, 05:39 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:

To us, not bad at all.
I goofed and lost my post!

Well, to summarize, I agree that it's all relative. Welcome to the area and enjoy your stay. Right now I am in Franklin NC and it's gorgeous here. No traffic, but no people either. LOL Sometimes life is a compromise.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:42 AM

9 posts, read 20,510 times
Thanks for all the feedback. I'll be in Sarasota April 9th - 14th to see for myself. Now to find a place to stay for 5 nights at a reasonable cost. I just need a place to sleep for the night. Nothing extravagant. Any suggestions?

Old 04-02-2014, 10:22 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,345,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ColdBuckeye View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. I'll be in Sarasota April 9th - 14th to see for myself. Now to find a place to stay for 5 nights at a reasonable cost. I just need a place to sleep for the night. Nothing extravagant. Any suggestions?
I have a nice clean condo I put employees for a week at a time. Never an issue, ten minute drive from Siesta Key, right across the street from the mall.

During that time frame, it would cost $120 a night or $710 or so for a full week. With this short notice, if it is still available, you could probably get it for cheaper.

I am PM'ing you the owner information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area