Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 01:37 PM

3,179 posts, read 6,004,461 times

Advertisements

I don't think felons have to register and report whenever they change addresses, like sex offenders do, therefor I doubt there's an accurate way to "track" them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 05:35 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,757,998 times
This is where I think C-D isn't very helpful. By the time I moved here, after reading this forum for several months, I was nervous when we moved here, waiting to be involved in a crime or duped by a scammer. From what I read, it wasn't if but when it would happen.

None of that has happened. It's a quiet area where people wave and I feel as safe here as anyplace I've lived. I do lock doors and windows and am vigilant when out alone, like I do anywhere. I get emails from crime mappers and check out what has been happening around me and I know where the known sexual predators live.

The key word is known predators or criminals.here. Anyone can be living nearby that may be criminal but haven't been caught yet. And the shady ones are at least obvious, it's the ones dressing to fit in that can be a sociopath in sheep's clothing.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:15 PM

509 posts, read 907,458 times
Veisenhalter, are you being sarcastic? Because unless you live in Mayberry, that is true EVERYWHERE, and on every forum on the internet. So why feign being appalled? e

Old 04-03-2014, 07:45 AM

8 posts, read 15,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frida7 View Post
Veisenhalter, are you being sarcastic? Because unless you live in Mayberry, that is true EVERYWHERE, and on every forum on the internet. So why feign being appalled? e
the topic is not me, I am not "appalled" at all nor naïve - what I have stated and what was deleted is true indeed - there are criminals and scamsters in this city, and on this forum (and others), and certainly people that have and do presently engage in shady activity - anyone can track IP addresses for example and discover lots of things about people, but I was inquiring about whether there existed a sort of free, perhaps web-based clearinghouse of information notwithstanding the sexual predator/convicts mapping. No I'm not very surprised at the people who move to Florida one bit, I am a surprised to witness how sometimes their brazen methodologies, presence and over-confidence - living just "down the street" or "next door" - no, Mayberry it's not, but in some cases the incidents and encounters with documented "criminals" around here in SRQ/Manatee are higher than when I lived in Chicago and southern California. I spoke with a SCSO lieutenant and even he admitted that over the past 15 years they have tracked or helped to locate (from other cities), "fine, upstanding anchored residents and homeowners" who have committed crimes here and in several other states (web based crime, medical fraud, assault, armed robbery, robbery by deception, investment crimes, drug/pill mills/distribution, etc) who live for instance all OVER LWR, siesta Key, etc. He too agreed that for a relatively small small city, the number of these kinds of criminals have multiplied at a rate he has not witnessed in 15 years. He stated also that what was a bit of a surprise was the number of female "resident criminals' working in now legitimate positions (or so-called "business owners" - sales, pharma, retail, outside sales, insurance, elder care, health and beauty, nursing, childcare/non cert teaching, allied health, real estate, etc) - and some with not only past convictions, but also with outstanding foreign bench warrants. No, not for a minute I'm surprised, I just want to arm myself with as much access to information as I lawfully can, without violating rights of privacy in choosing where I might move to next.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:33 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,745,652 times
^^^I didn't read your post well enough to follow it but you got me curious to see if there is a felon mapping website that covers crimes other than sexual offenders. I did find Criminal Background checks and violent felon information which looks interesting although I doubt it is as complete as one might hope. Still, better than nothing.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:46 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,231,072 times
Florida draws them like a magnet. You should see Broward and Dade and to some extent, West Palm. Between the weather, the "silicone" valley, and rather liberal leanings in Broward, it's a haven for those that may have a shadowy past. Most people are not from there so it's rather easy to blend in.....

The SE tends to have the migrations from the Northeastern part of the US and the Tampa/Sarasota is a having for Ohio and Michigan....guess not many wanted to make the whopping 110 minute drive to the other side....hmmmmmm.......

It's the kind of place where if you are walking down a busy street with a lot of pedestrians and yell "Stop, Thief!!!!" roughly 1/2 would run in all directions. The kind of place where one can drive down an industrial park/road of C class buildings and see the myriad of smokers just outside, of all ages, taking a break from their boiler room scamming on everything from vacations to insurance. Between the vending machine scams, vacation scams, insurance scams, FBI scams, etc....there is a non-stop need of mostly English speaking peoples plying their trade.

A kind of place Bernie Madoff and Bernie Ebbers would/could call home. Nice. If you are looking for wholesome neighbors across the board, maybe move to Kansas or Iowa. I had a neighbor in West Broward that was a REAL bookie. His satellite umbrella was actually a cover for a satellite communications antenna. No doubt heavily into "moving money" around the globe. I didn't even realize it until a neighbor alerted me to it. He kept totally to himself and the "odd" cars coming and going at night. Can you say? Money laundering? This was in a pretty upscale community (let's just say it was the nicest part of Jacaranda across from Hawk's Cove). My kids were small and I never said a word out of fear. He minded his side of the fence and I minded mine. Worked out fine. We left a year later.

Another one, one block over, was busted for placing vending machines after he sold them through his other boiler room. Nice guy. Nice kids. Right up to the point that his house was raided and he was hauled off. Apparently that is very legal as it relates to commerce. I think he got canned over fraud. Selling the same sites over and over again. The final straw was the guy that actually had fiber cable pulled into his house. Turns out he was running a very, very edgy ISP (Internet Service Provider) with shall we say, questionable and extremely liberal "adult" entertainment.....ahhhhhh, yes, neighbors of south florida.....there is a real good reason to carry a gun down there.....maybe Tampa isn't so bad.....not.....Westport, a neighbor for all tastes....

Florida, it's okay to visit, just be very, very, very careful if you live there. Like a mean version of Vegas. More credit-card eating bimbos per square mile than restaurants if that is possible. Great place for plastic surgeons and woman with looks and little skills. Raising a family??? Not so much...

Old 04-03-2014, 10:36 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veisenhalter View Post
My husband and I were surprised to discover that a few of our neighbors had felonious pasts and served time and another one is under investigation. We don't live in the ghetto either (although we know there are no assurances with anything in life, and living in a 400k house is no guarantee ).

My question is that we know that Florida is full of surprises, but are there any systems in place that can track felons in a neighborhood, like they can track sex offenders ? We are looking at another new and smaller house in a new subdivision, and don't want to live around felons, crooks and shady people. Are there any good resources out here ?
I've never heard of such a resource. People who have served time and/or have been arrested and performed their required probation are considered to have repaid their debt to society. Sex offenders, thats a whole other question...I don't want any of them around me-and the resource is there to find that out.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:30 AM

9 posts, read 11,210 times
Scammers, low life's and so called 'bad people' can be found pretty much everywhere. Treat people with respect and common courtesy, but don't take things at face value. Trust but verify. No one gets a free pass. I'll shut up and go back to coloring now. :-)

Old 04-04-2014, 03:56 PM

176 posts, read 217,254 times
Do you want to live with the criminals who have been caught already (convicted felons), or those who are too accomplished to get caught? The price range of the neighborhood is absolutely no assurance with the latter.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:18 AM

509 posts, read 907,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrewMemphisitsucks View Post
yeah buddy ! just look at some of the people who post on here from Sarasota !! if you research a few IP addresses there are a few here with shady and criminal pasts
That's the pot calling the kettle black. :d.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area