Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 09:53 AM

2 posts, read 4,830 times

Advertisements

My husband has a relocation opportunity in Bradenton. We are unfamiliar with the area and have been researching homes, schools, etc. We have an 8yr old daughter and 2 dogs. We plan on renting the first yr. or 2 and would like to keep rent in the 1300 range. We are in our 30s, and would like a safe area with good schools. We would be fine in a smaller neighboring town, we just don't want a terribly long commute. Anything 45min or under would be fine. I work in the medical field and would eventually go back to work, so nearby hospitals in relation to recommended towns would be great. I saw there is Manatee Memorial in Bradenton.

I have lived in Destin and he has lived in Naples, but are currently in Cincinnati and just not sure where to look in the Bradenton area. Any information would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 10:57 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,748,988 times
There are plenty of medical facilities all over the place. That's not to say you will find a job easily but you will have a target rich environment no matter where you live. So, about where in Bradenton will your husband be working?

Old 04-16-2014, 01:26 PM

4,621 posts, read 7,545,116 times
Hi,

Since school districts are going to be important for you, I suggest checking out the Manatee county school board web sitefirst to see the school ratings for the various districts because, while some of the districts received great ratings, others did not. Manatee county's school system is going thru some major changes due to less than stellar budget choices made by the past administrator. There are a number of articles about that on the Bradenton Herald's website at www.bradenton.com.

http://www.manateeschools.net/

Once you've selected potential school districts you can focus on the neighborhoods.

Everyone has a right to their own opinion. That said, I personally live in south Manatee county, my mailing address is Bradenton -- so yes, when asked where I live I say "Bradenton." People who reside in the metro Chicago area typically say they live in Chicago, not Cook county.

Although not officially incorporated cities, Lakewood Ranch, Ellenton and Parrish are known areas with specific zip codes that you may find in your search of Manatee rental listings.

I've lived in the Sarasota - Bradenton area for over 30 years, so if you have specific questions about Bradenton, ask away.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:00 PM

Although Ed is technically correct, people tend to say they live wherever the US Postal service says they do. So, people whose address is "Sarasota" even though they live in Manatee County will say they live in Sarasota. Same with many, many Bradenton addresses. You can beat your head against a wall forever waiting for people to be technically correct but it will never happen and your head is likely to be awfully sore as a result.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:17 AM

17,537 posts, read 39,154,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Although Ed is technically correct, people tend to say they live wherever the US Postal service says they do. So, people whose address is "Sarasota" even though they live in Manatee County will say they live in Sarasota. Same with many, many Bradenton addresses. You can beat your head against a wall forever waiting for people to be technically correct but it will never happen and your head is likely to be awfully sore as a result.
Yup, totally agree ^^^^. Well said, bbronston!

Old 04-17-2014, 09:58 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,938,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdtapperJr. View Post

Do you think residents way out at the Concessions, or the Country CLub of Lakewood Ranch TELL PEOPLE THAT THEY LIVE IN "BRADENTON" BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT THE US POSTAL SERVICE SAYS THATS WHERE THEIR MAIL IS ADDRESSED " ??? If you do, you are quite the moron indeed. Nope, they say they "live in Lakewood Ranch" (even though their mailing address does in fact state "Bradenton, FL"...and that's a fact)
Funnily enough the USPS changed the 34202 zipcode to Lakewood Ranch about a month or so ago. It used to default to Bradenton now LWR.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:47 AM

2 posts, read 4,830 times
I appreciate everyone that has taken the time out to read my post and reply. However, I did not know my inquiry about the area was going to start a geographical debate that would take over my thread, but not really address any of my questions, with the exception of Sunshine and one other member. With that said I will graciously remove myself, as I keep checking back when I see there are new posts, only to find it is still regarding zip codes and people inaccurately stating where they "live".

I will continue to browse the Sarasota-Bradenton-Venice area forum, where I have already found some quite useful resources.

Thanks everyone.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:56 AM

Geez, Ed...I'm sorry...don't upset yourself. Did you ever want to live in Palmer Ranch? Never mind....

Old 04-17-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
Funnily enough the USPS changed the 34202 zipcode to Lakewood Ranch about a month or so ago. It used to default to Bradenton now LWR.
I'm not sure where you saw this but I've seen 34202 designated as Lakewood Ranch since the Lakewood Ranch post office opened.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:00 PM

That's what I said. 34202 was "Bradenton" until they built the post office. Now it is "Lakewood Ranch". In fact, I lived in "Bradenton" when I lived in Braden Woods and when I moved to Lakewood Ranch. If I told people in St. Petersburg back then that I lived in "Lakewood Ranch", they'd probably have no clue where that was. I told everyone, rightly, that I lived in Bradenton. So did my coworker who lived out in Millcreek. Know why? Because that was our address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area