Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 06:58 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times

Advertisements

People we bought from put in vinyl tile that looks like driftwood-finish wood in master bed/bath and something that looks more like a cherry finish in some other areas...
we have min schnauzer and although only here for two years off and on--have noticed no damage from her nails..

we are considered taking up all the original ceramic tile, newer vinyl tile, and carpet and laying one type of flooring...
I was amazed when my husband found the receipt for flooring work the prior owners had done -- over 13K including prep work and installation..not carpet just vinyl...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 07:40 PM

147 posts, read 173,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
People we bought from put in vinyl tile that looks like driftwood-finish wood in master bed/bath and something that looks more like a cherry finish in some other areas...
we have min schnauzer and although only here for two years off and on--have noticed no damage from her nails..

we are considered taking up all the original ceramic tile, newer vinyl tile, and carpet and laying one type of flooring...
I was amazed when my husband found the receipt for flooring work the prior owners had done -- over 13K including prep work and installation..not carpet just vinyl...
^^^whoa, that's insane! i mean, how many square feet did that cover??

ETA: just asked my husband what labor was for our basement, 1200sqft was $1600 to put down the vinyl.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:50 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
The house is single story--about 2100 sq ft--and original white tile left in the laundry--maybe 30-40 sq ft...and guest bath--maybe 50 sq ft--bedrooms 350 sq ft altogether...
I think much of cost was on prep work--they may have had to jackhammer original tile out of front hall and kitchen area and then level/prep for the vinyl tile...
it basically runs seamlessly where it is laid--and probably new baseboards...
but I also think they went with very good quality vinyl tile--think it is made in UK--

I love the one they put in master bed/bath area and don't much care for the other more reddish style or the gray square tile used in the kitchen area...but it is good quality...
They used G Fried Flooring in Sarasota...

Old 07-27-2014, 07:55 PM

147 posts, read 173,685 times
^^^ yes, I'm the same, not a big fan of reddish anything in flooring, or square tile…I just love the plank style vinyl (or any flooring, for that matter), I think it's very hard to tell it's vinyl Everyone who comes in our basement doesn't believe it's vinyl. Happy to know yours is holding up in FL until it gets a makeover

Old 07-28-2014, 10:06 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,406,915 times
I just discovered the "Coastal Pine" color of Pergo XP laminate and it's sort of grayish driftwood-y color as mentioned above. It's a single-plank laminate and gets great reviews on the Home Depot site. If I have to go with laminate, it at least looks different from the "fake hardwood" look of most laminates and would blend great with my furniture and wall color. It's quite a commitment though and I'm scared to death of deviating from my usual safe, neutral choices.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:39 PM

25 posts, read 95,652 times
Do tear out yourself -The jackhammer thing works really well. You got the house of your dreams you have to make it your home - that can take work

Hire a handyman (here you can go to Community College and hire college kids to do the clean up, etc for $12 per hour) to help and make sure he has a truck and can haul away or get one of those trailers that sits in drive to dump it and then the company comes and takes it away.

Tile everything - kids, dogs, life happens - live w/o a lot of work.

Shop..get samples, lay them on the floor to check color - keep it simple - and then shop a little more. Measure your surface and look for closeouts -

Tiles size--get as large as you can - 18- 20" tiles -Makes the house look larger, minimizes grout lines and don't do light grout color. Buy extra tile to make sure you have some for a possible need in the future and store in garage.

Bite the bullet and do it Right! Now you have spent your money but you don't have to do it again - like with carpet or to have floors refinished - and wood is terrible in a kitchen.

Been a painting contractor and master artisan since 1999 and may be moving to the area in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area