Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2014, 09:33 AM

5 posts, read 13,199 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for any help possible answers on the availability of DSL or Fios in North Port, FL. Specifically the Estates area . We purchased a house in January of this year. Up until January 12th (5 days before closing) the verizon website had DSL available at the address the following day no Internet service was available at the location. We later found out that this was the day the previous owners canceled their DSL service. It's been 7 months and we've been told everything from we are too far from a box to receive it, to the area has no more slots left our most recent call (agents name was Tom) we were told that our area is not allowing new HSI activations because Fios is being rolled out this summer. From my limited Fios knowledge unless it's a new community development no new Fios rollouts have been happening at least in Florida. My area is not a new community so I would highly doubt that Fios is coming anytime in the future. We do have some orange survey markers near the phone poles in the area so i guess it's possible. We don't understand how a house can go from having DSL to suddenly be to far from a box in a day. If anyone has a number, a contact of someone who might be able to help us we would appreciate any help. My wife and I are both taking classes online and have held out on signing up for satellite internet because of the exorbitant charges we would incur. And we don't want to be stuck in a 2 year contract for something we don't want should DSL or Fios come up. Just for information no other providers are currently in the Estates area trust me we checked them all. Thanks for ANY help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 11:02 AM

2,407 posts, read 3,189,508 times
If you don't get a better answer, you might want to contact the city of North Port and find out what the franchise agreement calls for. If North Port is similar to other towns, Verizon had to get approval to put their cable and internet services in the town, so they had to offer some level of service. Unfortunately, that's the way a lot of places end up with only one provider in town.

The other place would be the state public utilities board. They have an on-line complaint form. You may also find a number of someone you could talk to and find out if Verizon must provide service if it is in your area and the prior owners had it.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:26 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times
My subdivision has Comcast, Verizon fios, Verizon copper [for phone, dsl] Directv and Dish.
Verizon wants everyone off the copper lines so they don't have to pay FPL to use the poles. They have been sending notices that they will switch copper line use to fios for free, but if you have dial up or dsl, they won't work on fios. I have DISH for tv which offers 24 more channels than a similar fios package and I don't need all the gigs in the internet part because I don't do videos. And Comcast will never get my money. I use T-Mobile wireless internet service [and there are many others available with no contract] and I will either buy a Straighttalk wireless phone box or port my number to my T-Mobile phone to cut the cord with Verizon. [If you have trouble with your copper line, it will not be repaired for two weeks. Almost all Verizon people have been re-assigned to FIOS install/repair]
I'll bet DSL is still available in Northport and at your house but Verizon is getting out of the DSL/dial up/copper line phone business an have no desire to give you DSL service.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:45 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,143,097 times
i also live in a rural area. the only connection is the phone company copper wires. i have dish which is no where near what fios and comcast have for speed. the largest package they offer is 15 gig per month. each extra gig is $10.00 per 1 gig. they also have another 15 gig between 2 and 8 am. this was my only option (or direct). if they ever run fios thru here which i doubt i will be off dish in a second.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:37 AM

3 posts, read 3,624 times
Satellite Internet by 8gInternet com, they may require a contract, but can be put on hold if you travel a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area