Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 02:37 AM

57 posts, read 49,703 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the info the past several months. My wife will be retiring in 2016 and we cant wait to get moved down there and meet some of you. Sounds like a great bunch. This forum and the Punta Gorda forum are a wealth of info. Iowa is a nice place to live but I can't stand the cold and snow anymore. I know I will have to get used to the bugs, heat, and old people driving from Iowa. But... I have a 370Z so I doubt you will have to wait on me to get going. Anyway, thanks to all that have answered so many questions like Chinese drywall. Who knew. Merry Christmas all. Mike in Iowa

Old 12-25-2015, 03:40 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,890,766 times

Old 12-26-2015, 04:57 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,689,105 times
Merry Christmas to you also. I agree, the folks here and on the punta gorda/port Charlotte forums has been very welcoming and helpful as we prepare for our move next year! Their kindness and enthusiasm has us even more excited for the big move!

Old 12-26-2015, 06:13 PM

Thanks for the replies. It's been a mild winter here this year until now. We can't wait to move down there.
It can't come fast enough for me. But my wife has to retire first. Just took our shizu out to potty. It's freekin cold. See you all down there in 2016. Mike

Old 12-27-2015, 09:31 AM

Thanks dixie-dust. I understand what you are saying. Where we live (in the Waukee school district) the schools are very good and the people are nice. But like you we can't stand the winters any longer. I have lived here my whole life (61) and I am ready for a big change. Just want to find a nice neighborhood in North Port or somewhere in the area. From the searching I have done North Port is a nice area. We have a few months to think about it. But I do a lot of reading on the forums.

Old 12-27-2015, 10:52 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixie_dust View Post
I lived in Iowa , about 50 mile east of DM, and I enjoyed the people more than anything, but the cold was brutal. Be advised however the people that you will meet in FL do not, for the most part, share your same midwestern values, and sensibilities - not by a longshot. No place is perfect, and the scammers, n'er-do-wells, etc like the warmth too.
I disagree with this. I grew up in the Midwest and it feels like home where I am in SWFL. I've also lived in NY for many years and Midwesterners don't have a monopoly on good values and sensibilities. Yes, there are scammers etc., but a lot of nice folks too.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:28 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,841,307 times
There's been a cultural change all over the country, Dixie, not just SWFL. And there are a LOT of nice people here. Chances are they're running away from your attitude, so you might have missed them. Toodles.

Old 12-29-2015, 12:19 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,499,932 times
I am originally from NJ - so I know corruption and scams very well - if you are careful you will have no problems here - you have to get recommendations from your neighbors of who to clean your pool, who to service your air conditioner, etc - the best are all word of mouth.

We now live in Nokomis and used to live in North Port - North Port is a mostly a nice area - interesting to read about the Ukranians though - there were a lot of Ukranians there -

And I met my new best friend here - she is a Midwesterner- I have to say she has my back - not the same as friends I had in NJ...

Old 12-29-2015, 12:27 PM

Since I am the original poster and was just wishing all a Merry Christmas it would be nice if this thread didn't turn into a UFC cage fight. Can't wait to get down there. Mike

Old 12-29-2015, 05:12 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0xd View Post
Since I am the original poster and was just wishing all a Merry Christmas it would be nice if this thread didn't turn into a UFC cage fight. Can't wait to get down there. Mike
Mike, you'll find the FL forums a virtual roller coaster of opinions. After finding and reading C-D, I was afraid to move down here and was looking over my shoulder for the first few weeks. Moral of that? Remember to believe nothing that you hear and half of what you see. I'll fix Ben Franklin's saying to include nothing you read on the internet either. And yes, that would include me too.

Happy New Year to you!

Last edited by jean_ji; 12-29-2015 at 05:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area