Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 10:27 PM

65 posts, read 295,886 times

Advertisements

howdy to everyone!

i am new here. well new to posting here at least, as i have been lurking for a while.

i am looking into buying a home in venice or sarasota. i'm pretty sure i want a pool home. i have been researching pool home prices on internet. my price range is up to 200K, but the lower the better- (!!!).i would looove to find a bargain home! old homes are fine w me. like in venice gardens or south venice or east venice etc.

am i better off (price wise) buying a pool home, or buying a home without pool and then getting one built? how much does it cost to get an average size caged pool put in?

thanks alot! i have to say this is such a cool forum. i have enjoyed reading your posts and i have learned alot. sarasota and venice are so awesome!

movin-on-up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 05:09 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
Hey there and welcome to the forum! Well, I see signs out in front of many of the pool places saying "pools for $19,900 and swim in 33 days." This includes everything. My guess is that it would be on the smaller end. So, I think you could get a decent size pool for around $25K-$30K. I have a really good guy that will come out and give estimates if you find a home you're considering. I would make sure they are licensed and have been around a while. Several of the pools companies have closed due to hard times and sometimes they close with customers money in hand.

In the price range you are considering I would definitely recommend looking at homes without pools cause it would narrow your search down considerably to require the home to have one. My suggestion would be to search for homes without a pool and try to get a really good deal. Then put that money you saved into having a pool built.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:59 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,834,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin-on-up! View Post
howdy to everyone!

i am new here. well new to posting here at least, as i have been lurking for a while.

i am looking into buying a home in venice or sarasota. i'm pretty sure i want a pool home. i have been researching pool home prices on internet. my price range is up to 200K, but the lower the better- (!!!).i would looove to find a bargain home! old homes are fine w me. like in venice gardens or south venice or east venice etc.

am i better off (price wise) buying a pool home, or buying a home without pool and then getting one built? how much does it cost to get an average size caged pool put in?

thanks alot! i have to say this is such a cool forum. i have enjoyed reading your posts and i have learned alot. sarasota and venice are so awesome!

movin-on-up
SouthFlGal makes good points but here's my 2 cents:

We bought a home with a pool and feel that the owners who put the pool in just 2 years before sale didn't get their money back spent for the pool. So if you are not committed to stay for 10 years it would be better to buy WITH a pool moneywise (their loss your gain).

We were NOT looking for a home with pool but the home we loved had one, so we bought it. And surprisingly now we love it. For year-rounders a pool is a big benefit but we don't use it in cold months (even heated).
If you have children under 10 or grandchilden who visit a lot then it's a worry about their safety.

For resale a pool could be a minus but impossible to say.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:02 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
anyone know about the FLA law where a lien may be placed on your home if a contractor (such as a pool contractor) owes money to a third party company? It can be an ugly picture in today's economy and more likely to happen - would be very cautious about what company you use to build a pool. I'll try to find the FLA law about this.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:30 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
anyone know about the FLA law where a lien may be placed on your home if a contractor (such as a pool contractor) owes money to a third party company? It can be an ugly picture in today's economy and more likely to happen - would be very cautious about what company you use to build a pool. I'll try to find the FLA law about this.
Absulutely true, make sure all bills are accounted for; this happened to us when we layed paver bricks around the pool.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:29 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,834,532 times
Default us too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Absulutely true, make sure all bills are accounted for; this happened to us when we layed paver bricks around the pool.
must be something about paver guys . we also had the paver supplier call and tell us they were putting a lien on us even though we paid the installer for the job (not around a pool). Florida is not homeowner friendly allowing this to happen. We had to call the installer and hound them, is that crazy or what? we didn't even order the pavers, just chose the color.

tell me how a homeowner can possible know where materials come from and whether they have been paid for?? crazy.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:57 PM

325 posts, read 1,023,749 times
As a Remodeling Contractor, make sure when the final payment of the contract hits the table. That release of liens for all tradesman or materialman are signed off. Subs or materialman that do not have direct contract with you the HO. These individuals have to by law send a " Notice to Owner" to the property owner. This letter is only stating these individuals have not been paid. By all means please have the Contractor for whom you have a contract with, have release of liens at the completion of the Contract.
http://www.myflorida.com/dbpr/pro/el...a_lien_law.pdf

Old 05-29-2009, 03:18 PM

20 posts, read 91,126 times
The pool, as the home, must meet YOUR needs. I searched endlessly for a home with a great pool & 8 yrs ago, settled on a non-pool home.
I put in a Fiberglass pool and don't regret it - now or on resale, here's why:

Pool & oversize deck is the perfect size for home's layout & the family can really swim in it. The Deck size is perfect for family to lounge, eat, have fun on, not 5ft from the door!

Very low maintenance, choice of chemical types & 30 yr warranty (never had a problem)

Pool heater & all equipment new with 20 yr warranty.

Found new home's pools were too small & older homes had gunite pools that required too much maintenance.

So.. My only advise is.. choose the home that meets your needs, and if it doesn't have a well-maintained pool, make sure the home has "room for a pool". I have a 20 yr old home with a 7 yr old pool. What do they make boats out of.. Fiberglass! Love it & I think new owners would too.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:20 PM

20 posts, read 91,126 times
FYI - my Fiberglass pool, with oversize deck, new cage and heater, was less than 18K.. a Great investment.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:07 PM

65 posts, read 295,886 times
hi! thanks to everyone for the informative answers. very helpful! i have alot to think about!

i did see (on web) one house with a fiberglass pool and i wondered if people liked them. well now i know one who does!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area