Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 01:34 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,091,298 times

Advertisements

We built in Harrison ranch in Parrish, no CDD fee and a great neighborhood. I grew up on Long Island, then lived in CT for 10 years, this was a definite adjustment moving here but we love it, no snow, very reasonable property taxes, no state income tax, for $220k you get a decent home, for $350 k a really big home, and lots of northeast transplants here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 07:12 AM

2 posts, read 6,129 times
Very remote and homogeneous. I lived in a more diverse highly educated town when I was young and in college... up north..so I am not crazy about it- like my house though.

Old 11-28-2020, 12:41 AM

9 posts, read 17,124 times
I may be buying this week in Parrish. 5 miles from LWR, no CDD's, and only 90 per month HOA. Great value for having a lake view, preserve and sunsetting in my backyard and very quit out of the way area that is 25 minutes from Sarasota, and 30 minutes to Tampa International. Great centralized location. I come from California so 30 minutes is walk in the park (I used to commute 2hrs per day for work and that was only 30 miles each way. I love the small time and country feel of the are coming from an overpriced and overcrowded Bay Area Silicon Valley. Hey 30 minutes to Siesta Keys and Clearwater and St. Petersberg beautiful beaches. I think I found my paradise! Yes, I know there is no perfect place but hey its way better than were I came from. Perspective is everything.

Old 12-04-2020, 07:33 AM

12 posts, read 22,811 times
Hi Mlapiano, congratulations on your purchase in Parrish!! Can you or anyone else on this forum provide more information about Parrish? I noticed all of the other posts in this thread are from 2016 and 2017. How are things now? We recently visited from Pennsylvania and really fell in love with the Sarasota area however looking for a bit more land/privacy and not such high HOA and CDD fees. Parish seems to fit the bill, however we didn’t visit that area. I’m madly in love with siesta key & the Sarasota area and looking to be 30-45 minutes or so from that area, can anyone provide information if parish is a good option? Home budget around $450k. Love beaches & anything/everything you can do outdoors, we especially love Florida’s wildlife. Thanks for you guidance!!

Old 12-04-2020, 08:19 AM

78 posts, read 75,513 times
ah, if you're seeking the key of a bit more land and low/no hoa/cdd fees, Parrish and environs seems to work, but if you're actually in 'love' with places like Siesta Key, you're going to be too far living in Parrish imho, or anywhere east of I75 such as most of Lakewood Ranch.

Parrish is now attracting refugees from people working in Tampa especially around 60/Brandon business parks, and I don't blame them!

Land is the key. This place is getting too crowded with expensive houses built 15 feet apart or less. You might look into Panther Ridge, and houses around Upper Manatee River Road. Closer in you might look at some very nice older houses on bigger lots around Braden River, Braden Woods, and a few lots available off Morgan Johnson road area.

Stay away from high cdd/hoa developments, it's not worth the expense added on.

I know lots of couples and families that have sold their houses in places like Lakewood Ranch , Rosedale and many other areas because of just being too close to nosey neighbors and high fees. There is a trend to find less restrictive congested neighborhoods. In another year or so this area will become more of a nightmare, and Parrish is exploding for that reason.

As for Siesta Key? frankly I would never live on any barrier island again. We keep our boat on LBK, but that's it.

Old 12-04-2020, 02:22 PM

Thanks so much for your response Marysa Butzke! Very helpful!! If I may I have a few more questions for you or anyone Else on this forum that is familiar with Parrish.

- Are there any new (or newer) neighborhoods with a bit of land or at least decent space between neighbors with low HOA and no CDD fees? we would prefer newer due to the up-to-date hurricane building codes. My husband is a carpenter and could certainly remodel any home that we purchased but I would still like something newer.

- Is Parrish a nice, safe area? By nice I mean open, preserved areas. Abundant wildlife, lush plants and landscaping. Would prefer not to see any run down houses or eyesores in the neighborhood, but I know that happens everywhere and yes it happens here in Pennsylvania too. there’s quite a few houses in our neighborhood that are just about crumbling to the ground. I’d still rather have that over an HOA. Would love 0.5 - 1 acre.

- I am fine driving a hour to a beach... I love siesta key but I do realize most of the beaches on the West Coast are absolutely stunning. What would be the closest beach? Is it a nice beach? Where we live now in Pennsylvania we drive over an hour to the Jersey shore and can rarely find parking so we just drive back home again. So I’m not afraid to drive an hour and sit in traffic. I think it’s all relative to where you come from. there can’t be anything worse than trying to get to the Jersey shore in summer. And imho those beaches are not nice at all, but it’s all we have here.

- Does anyone know if we put in a contingent offer on a house in Parrish if that would work or do sellers generally reject contingent offers in today’s market? It’s really scary selling your house without another house ready to move into. I realize we can rent and we are fine with that but I was just wondering if contingent offers are still a thing. I know here in PA in the current market nobody would accept a contingent offer.

- What areas of Parrish should I shop for a home? $450,000-$500,000 budget. Would like 2 stories.

- And finally...is there shopping and malls in the area? Or at least 20 minutes or so away? I’m guessing that depends on the area within Parrish? Is there an “up and coming” area we should consider?

Thanks to anyone who responds!! Your input is greatly appreciated!!

Old 12-04-2020, 04:10 PM

4,619 posts, read 7,541,245 times
Parrish used to be a laid back area made up of mainly small, older homes scattered among the woods and cow pastures. Now many of those cow pastures have either become new home subdivisions or are in the process of being rezoned for new homes. With all that new construction comes the strip shopping centers. So life is changing in Parrish.

- Are there any new (or newer) neighborhoods with a bit of land or at least decent space between neighbors with low HOA and no CDD fees? we would prefer newer due to the up-to-date hurricane building codes. My husband is a carpenter and could certainly remodel any home that we purchased but I would still like something newer. What do you consider a decent space between homes? Much of the new or newer construction homes are going to be on more narrow lots. 75 feet wide lots for new construction homes is considered large, many builders are putting homes on lots 45, 50, 60 feet wide. Also, the majority of the new and newer construction communities will have at least a community pool and some sort of clubhouse, with HOA fees of at least $300 per quarter. And all of those new construction communities will have HOAs with deed restrictions.

- Is Parrish a nice, safe area? By nice I mean open, preserved areas. Abundant wildlife, lush plants and landscaping. Would prefer not to see any run down houses or eyesores in the neighborhood, but I know that happens everywhere and yes it happens here in Pennsylvania too. there’s quite a few houses in our neighborhood that are just about crumbling to the ground. I’d still rather have that over an HOA. Would love 0.5 - 1 acre. As I mentioned above, the open areas are disappearing, but there are still lots of open areas and woods compared to similar east of I-75 areas in Sarasota county. You'll find cow pastures and fields with horses. Chickens and goats (baby goats are becoming popular) too. You'll see old homes, new homes, mini ranches and those that remind you of the show "Green Acres," so quite a diversity of home styles.

- I am fine driving a hour to a beach... I love siesta key but I do realize most of the beaches on the West Coast are absolutely stunning. What would be the closest beach? Is it a nice beach? Where we live now in Pennsylvania we drive over an hour to the Jersey shore and can rarely find parking so we just drive back home again. So I’m not afraid to drive an hour and sit in traffic. I think it’s all relative to where you come from. there can’t be anything worse than trying to get to the Jersey shore in summer. And imho those beaches are not nice at all, but it’s all we have here. From Parrish the closest beaches would be found on Anna Maria Island, which is located just off of western Bradenton. Coquina Beach on the south end of Anna Maria is one of my favorites.

- Does anyone know if we put in a contingent offer on a house in Parrish if that would work or do sellers generally reject contingent offers in today’s market? It’s really scary selling your house without another house ready to move into. I realize we can rent and we are fine with that but I was just wondering if contingent offers are still a thing. I know here in PA in the current market nobody would accept a contingent offer. If you're talking about the contingency of the sale of another home or property, you can ask but most sellers will not consider such contingencies as the current inventory of homes for sale in the Manatee county area is at about a 3 month supply. For perspective, 6 months supply of inventory is considered a balanced market, where neither seller or buyer have the advantage.

- What areas of Parrish should I shop for a home? $450,000-$500,000 budget. Would like 2 stories. Although not in Parrish, I would suggest checking into the Mill Creek subdivision, the "newer" section has homes built in the early to mid 2000's. 1/2 - 1 acre lots. No CDD fees. There is a HOA, runs about $400 per year. Another is Country Creek. Large homes on 3/4 acre lots built late 1990's - early 2000's.
HOA runs about $400 year there as well. Country Meadows offers slightly smaller lots at just over 1/2 acre. Rye Wilderness offers homes built in the mid 2000's on lots of around 1/2 acre with low HOA fees. These communities are north of Lakewood Ranch but south of what is considered the Parrish area. All have Bradenton mailing addresses.

- And finally...is there shopping and malls in the area? Or at least 20 minutes or so away? I’m guessing that depends on the area within Parrish? Is there an “up and coming” area we should consider? Your mall option would be University Town Center in north Sarasota County, just off I-75. Benderson also has 2 large shopping centers located next door to the UTC mall, one south and one north of University Parkway.
The other option would be the Ellenton Premium Outlets mall.

Old 12-12-2020, 11:25 AM

346 posts, read 309,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chigirl12 View Post
Very remote and homogeneous. I lived in a more diverse highly educated town when I was young and in college... up north..so I am not crazy about it- like my house though.

I never liked that about Parrish, it felt too white as if you had Idaho and Oregon exurbs of Seattle and Portland and you put palm trees around it. And NOT an old money feel as well which to a point I can tolearte as you have history in some towns.

IMO Parrish would serve the most purpose in a scenario where it is a town with less riff raff than some places around it and if u have issues close to the cities, then I could like it a little more but was I a big fan of it? No. Its not as close to stuff as I like.

The 55+ place I visited my stepdad in was nicer though, felt a bit more equal compared to the subdivisions.

Old 12-13-2020, 05:25 AM

276 posts, read 283,065 times
We considered a new Pulte Del Webb 55 and over that is coming to Parrish mid '21. The subdivision will be really nice, would be a good opportunity to get in on the ground floor of the community, but it will take time to get shopping and restaurants that are convenient enough for us.
We instead will be purchasing at DelWebb Lakewood Ranch. We are beach people so like the ability to have Anna Maria Island, Siesta Key, Nakomis, Lido closer rather than Parrish, where Anna Maria Island would be the closest beach.

Old 12-15-2020, 09:08 PM

Thank you all so much for your responses! Seriously, it’s really appreciated! I think I’ve decided I want to live in Sarasota, we’ll I know I want to live in Sarasota, just need to find the right house in the right neighborhood. It’s almost like deciding between Siesta Key/location/HOA & CDD/very close Neighbors vs being farther out, more land & privacy, no CDD but not close to shopping/beaches. I guess there must be trade offs for location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area