Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 06:39 PM

18 posts, read 55,599 times

Advertisements

For retirement, we hope to buy in Florida this fall. The Sarasota-Bradenton area is at the top of our list (although we’re open to going as far north as Clearwater). Online research for condos, 55+ manufactured communities, etc., reveals that, although most are listed as “pet friendly”, the restrictions are tight as to number of pets. Most list two pets as maximum.

We're looking for contact information for people or organizations with knowledge of the community relative to pet-specific issues. We’re hoping to get information on areas, communities, and developments with more lenient rules when it comes to pets. We’re OCD when it comes to our home, and visitors who don’t know we have cats when they come still don’t know it when they leave. Having pets in the house has never been an issue when selling our homes in the past.

Thank you in advance…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 07:46 PM

4,619 posts, read 7,541,245 times
Unfortunately most 55+ communities in our are restrict the number of pets to a maximum of 2 and some of those actually refer to dogs, cats are not allowed. Some of the better known mobile home parks have sections where pets are allowed and other sections that are zero pets, so please ask the property management for a community the specifics of the restrictions rather than rely on sellers for that information.

Having multiple rescue cats that we have adopted, I can sympathize with your situation.

By the way, for those with more than 2 household pets, many of the new single family home communities limit the number of pets per household to just 2. Most of Lakewood Ranch falls into the 2 pets per household category. So if you have pets that will be moving with you, be sure to get a copy of the deed restrictions before you write any offers and find out the specifics of the pet restrictions written into the deed restrictions.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:16 PM

1,268 posts, read 3,000,708 times
^^ I just learned that in another thread. I find the pet limit to be intrusive, although I can understand why they wouldn't want breeders or animal hoarders in the neighborhood. I personally have 2 indoor cats, 3 dogs, and 2 cockatiels! I have never lived anywhere that limits pets, but I am glad I know now to look for it moving forward. Good luck!

Old 03-26-2015, 04:32 AM

18 posts, read 55,599 times
Thanks, Sunshine Rules, for your work with animals! When we moved from CA to TN in 2010, we vowed we'd adopt no more than the three rescue we moved with because of our age. (One has since passed on from old age issues.) Just having the remaining two would be fine for our retirement housing. Then four feral kittens showed up at our new place, we did TNR, and they stuck around outside. Then the coyotes and raccoons began to threaten them so we brought them inside and tamed them. Now they're spoiled and could never survive outside. The house is almost 5,000 sq. ft., so they're happy in the space. We would re-home them if we found suitable new "parents", although it would be hard to let them go.

We think we know the rationale behind the pet limitations. Probably because pets can damage property, the property would be sold at a lower price because of it, and that could impact area comps. (As a realtor, do you know if that is he reason for the restrictions?) We've been in homes where children live and our place is pristine by comparison. It would be nice if HOAs might consider the pet issue on a case-by-case basis with testimonials from neighbors and such.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:20 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,406,915 times
Oh dear, you have SIX cats???

Old 03-30-2015, 09:26 AM

252 posts, read 371,293 times
It's a tall order to find any HOA that will consider anything more than 2 pets. Rarely you can find 2 pets with no weight limits. I'm sorry for your plight, because you will almost be forced to take the only place that comes up regardless of whether you like it or not. We were lucky that one or 2 of the places on our wish list (condos) happened to be pet-friendly, but with restrictions. Good luck to you.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:43 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times
Well, this is an interesting topic and brings up something to think about. We'll have to keep it all in mind.

Another thing we discovered a few years ago is that the HOA board can change their restrictions suddenly. When we had our place in Florida we were allowed the two dogs. We intentionally looked for places that allowed pets. Then the board changed the restriction to just one dog. Well, we were in the mood to sell pretty soon and the two dogs looked so much alike we just walked them separately for a while. That dog got a lot of walking.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:23 AM

1,268 posts, read 3,000,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
Well, this is an interesting topic and brings up something to think about. We'll have to keep it all in mind.

Another thing we discovered a few years ago is that the HOA board can change their restrictions suddenly. When we had our place in Florida we were allowed the two dogs. We intentionally looked for places that allowed pets. Then the board changed the restriction to just one dog. Well, we were in the mood to sell pretty soon and the two dogs looked so much alike we just walked them separately for a while. That dog got a lot of walking.

LOL- that's funny! It brings up a good point though; if the HOA revises the rules about the number of pets, I don't think they could force you to get rid of a family member. I would hope they both would have been grandfathered in.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:35 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal chic View Post
LOL- that's funny! It brings up a good point though; if the HOA revises the rules about the number of pets, I don't think they could force you to get rid of a family member. I would hope they both would have been grandfathered in.
There were several retirees nearby. Many young people too but it was the people on the spot all day that were more active at the board meetings. When we made a comment about that change to a neighbor who knew the dogs and whom we spoke with often, he looked quizzical. I think he hadn't considered the reality of it all. That his neighbor that was not loud or noisy and planted pretty flowers and had a nice wreathe on the gate was one of those that this rule would effect. He looked at the dogs and hemmed and hawwed and said welllll, I guess no one would say anything.

The thing is...as you say....probably the management company would have said something different. That there was a clause about being grandfathered in or something. And those two dogs were small, compared with the very large single dogs some people had.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:42 PM

4,619 posts, read 7,541,245 times
If you are a multiple pet household, 55+ communities in our area will probably not work for you as most limit pets to none, one or two at most, along with weight and size restrictions.

Your better option would be single family homes in either neighborhoods that are not deed restricted or find older deed restricted communities as many of those that were created in the 70's to early 90's may have restrictions against farm animals as pets, they generally do not restrict the number of household pets you may have.

It is more difficult to revise the deed restrictions than many people think, read the bylaws as to the process that must be followed. It will explain if a special vote must be done, how it must be conducted and the total number of lot owners that must vote yes to pass changes to the deed restrictions. To avoid lawsuits, most HOAs will grandfather in current owners who would otherwise violate the newly passed deed restrictions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area