Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2015, 06:46 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,925,572 times

Advertisements

I know this question comes up quite a bit--what are the best hospitals in the area?
Best Hospitals in Florida - US News Best Hospitals US News claims Tampa General is #2 and Sarasota Memorial is #5.

I would have to agree with this list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 07:01 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,677,344 times
Not sure, but I believe Florida Hospital, which has a main campus in Orlando is ranked #1 and has been for the past few years. However, the globally acclaimed Cleveland Clinic, which gets medical tourism from all over Europe and Asia, especially for it's unparalleled cardiology and urology units, does have a branch campus in Weston, a suburb near Miami. I can't speak to the quality of that branch though. I will say that my sister had a very negative experience in the one time she used TGH, but that in no way can be reflected upon the hospital as a whole. I find it interesting that in general, both Orlando and Tampa are outpacing the larger Miami area in the healthcare industry then.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:43 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,925,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
Not sure, but I believe Florida Hospital, which has a main campus in Orlando is ranked #1 and has been for the past few years. However, the globally acclaimed Cleveland Clinic, which gets medical tourism from all over Europe and Asia, especially for it's unparalleled cardiology and urology units, does have a branch campus in Weston, a suburb near Miami. I can't speak to the quality of that branch though. I will say that my sister had a very negative experience in the one time she used TGH, but that in no way can be reflected upon the hospital as a whole. I find it interesting that in general, both Orlando and Tampa are outpacing the larger Miami area in the healthcare industry then.
I don't have any experience with Florida Hospital in Orlando but I do with Tampa General and Sarasota.

My father had a heart transplant up at Tampa General about 16 years ago. He's still alive and kicking, so I consider that a success. In addition, my kids have been in Sarasota peds unit several times for various reasons and we felt they got very good care. I can't say the same for other local hospitals like Peace River or Fawcett in Port Charlotte.

I do agree with you though, as far as one section of the hospital may be fantastic, while another section may be lacking. I'm guessing they rate the hospital as a whole???

Old 04-03-2015, 04:09 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,677,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
I don't have any experience with Florida Hospital in Orlando but I do with Tampa General and Sarasota.

My father had a heart transplant up at Tampa General about 16 years ago. He's still alive and kicking, so I consider that a success. In addition, my kids have been in Sarasota peds unit several times for various reasons and we felt they got very good care. I can't say the same for other local hospitals like Peace River or Fawcett in Port Charlotte.

I do agree with you though, as far as one section of the hospital may be fantastic, while another section may be lacking. I'm guessing they rate the hospital as a whole???
Yeah, to be honest with you I have no idea how that works. I know Cleveland's has campuses in Abu Dhabi, Toronto and Las Vegas in addition to the Weston campus, while the Mayo Clinic which is another one of the leaders has a campus in Scottsdale, AZ as well as Jacksonville in addition to their main branch in Rochester, MN. I know that even with one as esteemed as the Cleveland Clinic, while the main campus may have the foremost treatment, there are widely different critiques of the quality of services, and the amount which are available at the branches which are oftentimes considered just health centers. I'm not a medical expert by any means though, and so I wouldn't know what different services they provide: I do know that oftentimes branches, like the one in Abu Dhabi, oftentimes don't have the main source of treatment available, and so one likely would still have to travel to whatever the main branches are in order to receive full service. That's why it wouldn't surprise me if that Florida Hospital or TGH still did more for patients and offered higher quality care than the Mayo/Cleveland branches down here.

Thank you for your transparency regarding that. I will keep Sarasota and Tampa as higher priorities when seeking any healthcare needs then.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:42 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
We have had terrible experiences at both Fawcett and Peace River. We moved to North Port last year and in the fall, I needed to go to the ER. The one closest to us is the Sarasota Memorial satellite right here in town and I have to say that it exceeded my expectations. While I hope not to have to go to the ER again, we will definitely keep that in mind. I'm glad to know that Sarasota Memorial is one of the best around, as it's where we'd likely go if we had the need.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:12 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,745,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
Yeah, to be honest with you I have no idea how that works.
If you click the link to the article, just below the title you will see another link "How we rank hospitals" which goes on to describe their methodology. Then you have to decide for yourself whether you agree with the decisions they made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area